Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First try, crash and burn. Must have forgotten something
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Here still utilize DirectTV there DVR stuff and STBs. I gave up my old DTivo devices (rather DTV made me give them up).

Yes it is difficult here looking up at a 55" screen while sitting on the floor in front of the TV and typing on a wireless keyboard.

Here have an older Philips hand me down 10" (never seen one of these) LCD on the closet rack and an old slide keyboard with a trackball built in all connected to the KVM.

The Haswell HS3 computer has a VGA, DVI and HDMI port on it. The Pine64 / RPis only have HDMI such that I never use it and go headless with management on these boxes.

Here installed Oracle VB on a Mac with no issues. Tried W7, XP and W10 which all worked fine. Ubuntu gives you a bit more easy to use tools.

Yeah here now using /opt directory for most manual adds. Docker programs are also now running there.

Relating to the Homeseer 3 users I also create sudo users with the same name as the Homeseer users and give all of the users RW rights to the /opt/HomeSeer directory.

These are admin users typically.

For temperature stuff just install:

1 -
      sudo apt-get install lm-sensors 2 -
      sudo sensors-detect 3 - hit enter or defaults. Webin picks up the temperature sensors and displays them on the status page when logging in via admin. You can also run a Homeseer script to assign the temperature variables to Homeseer variables.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

First try, crash and burn. Must have forgotten something

You can see it running typing mono HomeSeer.exe in a terminal window. Just make sure you are in the same directory as HomeSeer when running it and make sure you have shut down the Homeseer 3 interface (do this using the HS3 GUI if possible).

Did you add:

apt install mono-vbnc?

Don't really utilize aspx such that I always have installed latest version of Mono.

There is also a call to speech in the beginning such that you have to install some sort of speech. Thinking I installed flite.

apt install flte

If speech isn't installed the HS3 starting script errors but continues to run and start HS3.

Mine still uses the speaker dot exe instance running on the W2003 server (VB).

When HS3 starts in Linux it automagically sees the running instance of speaker dot exe on the W2003 VB,

You can even run W2016 64 bit in a VB with as little as 2Gb of RAM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Missed that but broke something else. Decided to just start over and rebuild. No great loss and shouldn’t take long to get back to where I was. It’s common for me to do a few rebuilds when using a new system for the first time. Found lm-sensors, but I’ll have to rewrite my Hs script to access it. Going to try and display all testosterone and maybe some other stuff but that’s later. Right now I just want the cup temp. Well the fresh install just booted up, time to get cracking.
          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Really in Ubuntu all you need is the add of Mono (mono-complete), mono-vbnc and flite. Homeseer Pro untarred in any directory any place should work. There were a couple of scripts in the HS3 directory that did point to /usr/shar/HomeSeer. Well and a version of Mono that works with aspx (which I typically do not use). Never really seen an issue with the OS though have seen issues with mono.

Easy to edit these scripts.

With a homeseer mono error on boot up you will see a lot of mono errors that are hard to miss. If you want to edit the configuration ini file for your web port (here use XXXX) and shut off myhomeseer.com stuff and upnp (then enable it later) before starting Homeseer.

I also add ntp and ntpdate to the OS build as I am pointing to the internal GPS / PPS NTP clock on the PFSense firewall. The GPS with PPS is serially connected (not via USB) to the firewall. ntpdate is used by the NTP configuration in Webmin.

For temperatures lately here utilize python scripts to send them out via MQTT through the Mosquitto broker then back to Homeseer via mcsMQTT. You can format the message any way you want. For me this is easier that a custom hs script.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              [I][B]

There is also a call to speech in the beginning such that you have to install some sort of speech. Thinking I installed flite.

apt install flte

If speech isn't installed the HS3 starting script errors but continues to run and start HS3.
              I don't even bother loading anything for speech as I have my own speech scripts that use Amazon Polly via my PollyC modules.

HomeSeer really needs to look at my modules and make them a standard part of HS3. The only change I'd make would be to make the call to MyHS, which would then call Amazon Polly, rather than going direct to Amazon from PollyC. I would definitely keep the cacheing function of PollyC so the only times that a call to MyHS would be made is if the text has not be spoken before and thus not in the local cache. After Polly I'd never go back to flte or any other handler.

Comment

Really in Ubuntu all you need is the add of Mono (mono-complete), mono-vbnc and flite. Homeseer Pro untarred in any directory any place should work. There were a couple of scripts in the HS3 directory that did point to /usr/shar/HomeSeer. Well and a version of Mono that works with aspx (which I typically do not use). Never really seen an issue with the OS though have seen issues with mono.

Easy to edit these scripts.

With a homeseer mono error on boot up you will see a lot of mono errors that are hard to miss. If you want to edit the configuration ini file for your web port (here use XXXX) and shut off myhomeseer.com stuff and upnp (then enable it later) before starting Homeseer.

I also add ntp and ntpdate to the OS build as I am pointing to the internal GPS / PPS NTP clock on the PFSense firewall. The GPS with PPS is serially connected (not via USB) to the firewall. ntpdate is used by the NTP configuration in Webmin.

For temperatures lately here utilize python scripts to send them out via MQTT through the Mosquitto broker then back to Homeseer via mcsMQTT. You can format the message any way you want. For me this is easier that a custom hs script.
                "Well and a version of Mono that works with aspx (which I typically do not use)."

I missed this over New Years. I published a fixed vbnc script in the mono thread about ASPX which fixes this issue until VBNC can fix it properly (its a VBNC bug). So I and many others are running the latest mono without issue and aspx vb pages are working.

Comment

I upgraded my SEL to 18.04 last night, I know just enough about Linux to be able to completely hose it.

I used tar to backup the whole HomeSeer directory and moved it and the zwave stick over to the RPi I used for my trial. The pi was a bit sluggish but still ran.

I did a complete install using an 18.04 server LTS bootable install USB.
                  Then did an apt-get update / upgrade
                  Installed Mono-devel and mono-complete
                  Moved the z-stick back and restored the tar onto the new build.

I had issues and eventually figured out that a new install of 18.04 does not install the latest mono stable.
                  I had to follow the instructions on the official mono site on installing 5.18.0.225 on 18.04.

Now everything is back up and running fine.

Except I cannot figure out how to get HomeSeer to auto start on bootup? HELP, please?

HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                  Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                  Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Typically for Mono install just have done this stuff...and not utilize the default Ubuntu stuff...

Mono Stable installation

and only installed mono-complete and mono-vbnc...

Except I cannot figure out how to get HomeSeer to auto start on bootup?

Initially on first install I do a terminal ssh start of Homeseer so I can watch it a bit...

then you can go a few ways to auto start Homeseer 3...

there is a short few line script posted here someplace for starting Homeseer as a service...

you can also just do a one liner start using cron...it is up to you....

Here still shut down Homeseer 3 via the HS3 GUI.

Here is one guide you can utilize...

HS3 Linux Ubuntu 18.04 Server

The original Zee just put the auto start of Homeseer at the end of one of the start up files..

I have changed here where Homeseer 3 sits from the /HomeSeer root directory over now to the /opt/HomeSeer directory...some folks are using the /home/user/HomeSeer directory and Homeseer SEL is using the /usr/share/HomeSeer directory.

I still utilize Webmin here and switch many times from using the command line to using webmin...

Note that there are preferrred methodologies but really not right or wrong way to do this. Baby steps.

See you are in Chicago...here also near Chicago and getting set to drive in to Indiana...well and I washed the SUV last night....
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

....SNIP
                      See you are in Chicago...here also near Chicago and getting set to drive in to Indiana...well and I washed the SUV last night....
                      Perfect timing now that we finally have winter and a little snow, safe travels! Especially being out with everybody who forgot how to drive in the snow.

Using the forums search I was not having any luck, finally used google with the 'site:forums.homeseer.com' option and got what I needed.

HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                      Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                      Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Yeah canceled 50 mile trip to Indiana while programming the SUV GPS in the garage and looked out and it was not a day to drive.... south here near I80 and we currently have 3 inches on the ground and thick snow falling....just chilling inside today...

Yeah the Linux Homeseer 3 builds and different methologies are posted here. I have tried to put a few in the DIY section for reference as they get buried in the posts here....

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thinking it is an age thing now driving slow these days in the snow; don't ever push it these days or do not drive if I have too.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                          X