Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does one install HS3 updates on the linux version running on MacOS? I do not have a checkbox for "check for updates on startup". Thanks!

Comment

This is how I do it on Ubuntu, it should be the same for a Mac. Shutdown HomeSeer. Backup the HomeSeer directory. Download the new version and extract the files over the existing HomeSeer install.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
        This is how I do it on Ubuntu, it should be the same for a Mac. Shutdown HomeSeer. Backup the HomeSeer directory. Download the new version and extract the files over the existing HomeSeer install.
        Shiutdown HS then run the upgrade script in the HS directory with the version (eg 500) as the command line parameter. It will download and install the update.

Comment

I do the same here with two Homeseer 3 Ubuntu Linux boxes and prior to the update make a Homeseer 3 directory back up just in case there are issues.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post

Shiutdown HS then run the upgrade script in the HS directory with the version (eg 500) as the command line parameter. It will download and install the update.
            Thanks! I also had to install wget for that to work. I used brew for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I sure would like to see a Linux sub forum under HS3 / HS3PRO Software so we could have all of the special Linux stuff all together and a bit easier to find. If that happened they get all of the Linux threads move to it.

Rich, any chance we could be possible?
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
              Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
              3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
              4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
              3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
              SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

The problem is that the instructions are poorly written. They are shorthanded.
                The flaw is that they upload a software image which will almost instantly be obsolete, and may/may not work with many RPIs or their firmware (including mine).

After we've been set up for failure, we must then surely be "Linux Experts" according to Option 2 of https://homeseer.com/guides/HomeSeer...Guide-rev3.pdf , because we go from "downloading the tar file above" to going to a directory and executing a command (as sudo?).
                So... the countless "newbies"... no wait... thats putting the blame in the wrong place, because because there are still like several steps that were skipped between 1, 2a, 2b, and 3.
                Lets talk about things at least like wget at a minimum....

Perhaps homeseer could step up and put the big boy software company pants on (you are 20 years old now after all) and take the initiative to put themselves in the proper distro channel like everyone else! apt-get install homeseer .
                ... and yes, I did try it before posting JUST in case they might have actually done it without it being documented on their site
                sudo apt-get install homeseer
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                E: Unable to locate package homeseer

I am REALLY trying to be a fan (again after many years (the x10 days)) but like Vera and SmartThinigs .... I am severely disappointed that I am fighting uphill battles of things that lesser experienced users think are told is their fault. Its like an abusive relationship.

Install BETTER
                Document BETTER
                Run BETTER ---- Mono? Really? do I want to trust that .Net will stay stable... hmmm Without looking, I forgot what the .exe is, but is it doing THAT much that it cant be rewritten/compiled for ARM? Maybe while I'm at it I should have my RPI emulate an Commodore64 app that regulates my bluetooth insulin regulator (that is a joke... )

Comment

Porting to MacOS would be great too, if it works on Linux it shouldn’t be too hard to make it work on MacOS.

Comment

They should state "It runs on Mono" not "It runs on Linux". Let's face it HS3 was designed for Windows and if not for the Mono emulator (Yes emulator, Mono is a background service that takes a windows program and makes it work under Linux..) or some other emulator (WINE comes to mind.) it wouldn't work on Linux or Mac OS !! What I don't understand is why MONO ?? Why not just make a Windows VM under Linux or MOS {MAC OS} ?? Emulator or VM still a "FIX" not raw code !! OK HS3 is old code that clearly was not designed for cross platform integration ! For me I don't care what they write the HS4 code in as long as it has EASY to port [Port not Emulate !!] it to other OS(s).

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
                      They should state "It runs on Mono" not "It runs on Linux". Let's face it HS3 was designed for Windows and if not for the Mono emulator (Yes emulator, Mono is a background service that takes a windows program and makes it work under Linux..) or some other emulator (WINE comes to mind.) it wouldn't work on Linux or Mac OS !! What I don't understand is why MONO ?? Why not just make a Windows VM under Linux or MOS {MAC OS} ?? Emulator or VM still a "FIX" not raw code !! OK HS3 is old code that clearly was not designed for cross platform integration ! For me I don't care what they write the HS4 code in as long as it has EASY to port [Port not Emulate !!] it to other OS(s).
                      +1 !!

Comment

...What I don't understand is why MONO ?? Why not just make a Windows VM under Linux or MOS {MAC OS} ?? Emulator or VM still a "FIX" not raw code !! ...
                        HomeSeer is built on .NET so MONO is needed.

Why would I run a great OS like Linux as a VM on a POS OS like Windows? Even Microsoft is including a native Linux kernel in the latest Windows

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/comma...-with-windows/

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

HomeSeer is built on .NET so MONO is needed.

Why would I run a great OS like Linux as a VM on a POS OS like Windows? Even Microsoft is including a native Linux kernel in the latest Windows

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/comma...-with-windows/
                          Very true alone with the fact that running Widows in a VM just to run HS3 is just adding additional Loads on the system.

And then there is the extra cost of Windows plus making the system less stable and more complex.

Don't remember the project name but HS3 needs to be upgraded to the newest MS development system which I understands runs much better than the current version of Mono it running on and is still cross platform.
                          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by dibble9012 View Post
                            Porting to MacOS would be great too, if it works on Linux it shouldn’t be too hard to make it work on MacOS.

I'll have to talk to Dave about that as I'm not sure if he has a Mac to test on. I might have access to another Mac that is running El Capitan that he could test that on for a few days since he only lives a few miles from me.

The one thing that I would like to see added is a "Remove" function. This is even more important for Mac users that for Linux users.

Comment

Mono is in no way an emulator, its a native implementation of the .net framework.

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post

+1 !!
                                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
                                X