X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pivot
    replied
    Originally posted by deanrparry View Post
    anybody managed to get sonos plugin to work? i think its something to do with docker ip subnet? not sure how to configure it
    Been struggling with the same for a couple of days now, and finally figured it out! It's a port problem, the container cannot see the Sonos speaker(s) UPnP broadcasts. I've tried all the ports mentioned around the interwebs, and it was port 1900 (udp) that worked (the best).

Still not perfect though. There are long delays between device-updates and really inconsistent functionality, but that might be the plugin or the docker itself (both are quite messy).

Anyways, use -p 1900:1900/udp when creating your container with the docker run command and it should detect the player after a short while of initiating the plugin.

UPDATE:
    Opening port 1900 will enable the discovery of the Sonos speakers, and you will be able to control it from homeseer, but it won't help with the receiving of broadcast messages from the speakers (current track, volume, album art, etc).

I realized that this is because of upnp/ssdp multicast which uses a wide spectrum of random ports to broadcast the info to all its clients. Because homeseer was in a closed container with a virtual network, only allowing communication on a selected few ports, it could not receive this info. Setting up port forwarding for the whole spectrum was impossible.

There are solutions to somehow forward the communication on multicast ports, but it required more work than I wanted to. So the quick and easy way to fix this was to add --net=host when creating the docker container so that no virtual network is created and the IP plus all ports are shared with the host computer.

Works great for me, as I mainly wanted homeseer in a closed container because of mono and dependencies conflicting with other apps on my server.
    Last edited by pivot; June 8, 2018, 05:10 AM. Reason: more info

Leave a comment:

• jjwatmyself
    replied
    Originally posted by FastFreddi View Post
    Ok try
    Code:
    docker commit Syno-HomeSeer Private-homeseer:v1
    then
    Code:
    docker run -it -d --net=pub_net --ip=10.0.3.2 --device=/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyACM0 \
    --name=Syno-HomeSeer-Private --restart always Private-homeseer:v1
    If docker commit Syno-HomeSeer Private-homeseer:v1 does not work,
    you may need to add docker commit Syno-HomeSeer fastfreddi/Private-homeseer:v1 or something similar.

If all works, then you can delete your original container
    Followed your steps with a minor tweak as only lower case is supported

Code:
    docker stop Syno-HomeSeer
    docker commit Syno-HomeSeer private-homeseer:v1
    docker run -it -d --net=pub_net --ip=192.168.1.115  --device=/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyACM0 \
    --name=Syno-HomeSeer-Private --restart always private-homeseer:v1
    docker start Syno-HomeSeer-Private
    Now it starts automatically after a Synology reboot. I still have the shutdown script.
    Last edited by jjwatmyself; December 23, 2017, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jjwatmyself
    replied
    Install Virtual Machine Manager and fix Docker containers that use MACVLAN

I installed Virtual Machine Manager and went through all the initlal config (creates virtual switch) and my Homeseer Docker container would no longer start.

Code:
    # docker start Syno-HomeSeer
    Error response from daemon: failed to create the macvlan port: device or resource busy
    Error: failed to start containers: Syno-HomeSeer
    Some trial and error and solved as follows...

Remove the network pub_net:

Code:
    docker network rm pub_net
    Now find the name of the adapters and look for the one with the IP address of your synology

Code:
    # ifconfig -a
    docker0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:42:DB:7C:7E:74
              inet addr:172.17.0.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.0.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::42:dbff:fe7c:7e74/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:62 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:308 (308.0 B)  TX bytes:7918 (7.7 KiB)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:32:74:4B:AD
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:15717 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:14854 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:2572294 (2.4 MiB)  TX bytes:4167356 (3.9 MiB)

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:32:74:4B:AE
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:103468 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:103468 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:11834811 (11.2 MiB)  TX bytes:11834811 (11.2 MiB)

ovs-syste Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr A2:0D:EB:27:82:88
              BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

[COLOR=Red]ovs_eth0[/COLOR]  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:32:74:4B:AD
              inet addr:[COLOR=red]192.168.1.110[/COLOR]  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::211:32ff:fe74:4bad/64 Scope:Link
              RX packets:15569 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:13996 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:2557996 (2.4 MiB)  TX bytes:4121388 (3.9 MiB)

ovs_eth1  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:32:74:4B:AE
              inet addr:169.254.30.136  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::211:32ff:fe74:4bae/64 Scope:Link
              TX packets:387 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:88636 (86.5 KiB)

sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
              NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
    In my case it is ovs_eth0. I believe that once Virtual Machine Manager is installed, DSM is then connected with a virtual adapter.

Now create a new docker network with the updated adapter:

Code:
    docker network create -d macvlan --subnet=192.168.1.0/24 --gateway=192.168.1.1  -o parent=[COLOR="Red"]ovs_eth0[/COLOR] pub_net
    And start your Homeseer container...

Code:
    docker start Syno-HomeSeer
    Then breath a sigh of relief.

Last edited by jjwatmyself; December 23, 2017, 08:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Personally think that Ubuntu 16.04 / Mono running in 64bit for HS3 in 32 bit runs faster than running Windows 64 bit / 32 bit HS2. Better processes / memory managment.

You can run Windows plugins in Wintel and have them connect to a Linux HS3 box.

Try running the exe file via windows command line.

winhs3plugin.exe server=ipofhomeseerserver

It may or may not work. It be just a nomenclature issue and tweaking from the plugin author to run in Windows and Linux.

Leave a comment:

• deanrparry
    replied
    I've since migrated my vmm on Synology to Ubuntu 16.04 and copied over files from Windows install. Even more stable under Linux... Faster response times in GUI, load times improved after reboot. Just missing my ultracid windows plugin I have left the windows hs3 ready for action if I can find some way of calling windows plugins from Linux hs3

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    I've noticed that there tends to be more issues with the Linux version of HS3 than with the Windows version.

Personally running Homeseer 3 Pro in Linux with Mono for me is more stable than running in Windows (since the early 2000's here ran HS2 in Windows server).

Running it on an iSeries Hawell chipped motherboard with 16Gb of RAM plus using Windows Oracle virtual boxes in W7 or W10 (preference though is embedded Windows 7)

One Homeseer user is running HS3 Pro on a DIY'd NAS box with a similiar Haswell chipped board with an 8 drive LSi raid card in Ubuntu 16.10 64 bit linux and Oracle Wintel virtual boxes. It serves as a HS3 Pro box, NAS (4X8 Tb drives), media server, Itunes box and weather station.

Here have left my DIY'd 8 Drive NAS box alone using BSD NAS4Free. (I have not played with virtual OS's on the device). Similar build as above documented here on the forum a few years back.

Hardware costs was probably a bit more than a Synology DiskStation doing stuff a la cart.

Version: 11.1.0.4 - Atomics (revision 4528)
    Compiled: Wed Aug 16 19:02:31 CDT 2017
    Platform OS: FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 #0 r322430M: Sat Aug 12 19:35:14 CEST 2017
    Raid controller: LSI SAS2008
    Ram: 8Gb

[ATTACH]65012[/ATTACH]

I have not seen a kernel panic (Linux BSOD) in any Ubuntu builds here since early days of Zoneminder hardware integration many many years ago

The difference is the availability of more plugins that work in Windows versus Linux.
    Last edited by Pete; December 9, 2017, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ocxoman
    replied
    Win 7 upgrade

Thanks. Didn't know that free upgrade was still availabe. I'll look into it.

Leave a comment:

• deanrparry
    replied
    Buy a windows 7 license and use that to activate windows 10... Much cheaper

Leave a comment:

• ocxoman
    replied
    HomesSeer on Synology VMM Windows or Linux?

Thanks again for the suggestion of using VMM. About the only thing I will use the VM for is HS3. I hate to pay for a W10 license just to run HS3. I just upgraded from a DS214Play to the DS718+. I currently use a HomeTroller SEL which is Linux based. It would be nice to eliminate the extra hardware. Given the cost of a Windows license, I would rather spend the money on another 8GB ram module for the NAS or something else. I've noticed that there tends to be more issues with the Linux version of HS3 than with the Windows version. That may be a false perception though. Any insight as to which OS to run HS3 in a VM would be helpful as to the reason why you chose which OS or the plusses and minuses of each.

Thanks

Jim

Leave a comment:

• ocxoman
    replied
    DS718+

DS718+ does support VMM. Thanks for the suggestion. I've upgraded to 10GB of RAM so now I'll go learn a new skill installing WIN10 on the virtual machine.

Leave a comment:

• cheeryfool
    replied
    Slightly off topic, but I am running FreePBX and the Unifi Controller software on VMs on my Syno DS916+. Very happy with this, though having a dedicated VM for each is somewhat overkill. Plenty of resources on the NAS though.

Leave a comment:

• deanrparry
    replied
    new VMM, i played with docker and never liked it if i recall i had nightmare issues with lan settings

Leave a comment:

• AutomatedJim
    replied
    Originally posted by deanrparry View Post
    Does the 718+ support Virtual Machines? if so i have my DS916+ and another 918+ running HomeSeer on Windows 10 vmms with usb 3.0 passthrough with rfxcom, bluetooth and zwave and its flawless!
    Are you running HS3 on Docker or the new VMM?

Leave a comment:

• deanrparry
    replied
    Does the 718+ support Virtual Machines? if so i have my DS916+ and another 918+ running HomeSeer on Windows 10 vmms with usb 3.0 passthrough with rfxcom, bluetooth and zwave and its flawless!

Leave a comment:

• ocxoman
    replied
    Will this work on a DS718+

I am ready to try if you think this will work on a DS 718+. It has an Intel J3455 Apollo Lake CPU.
    Are there any issues with running plugins. I am running with Invisalink,ecobee, weatherstation, and open sprinkler plugins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X