Z-wave and Schlage LE162....not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave and Schlage LE162....not working

I have Schlage LE162 but it doesn't work with HS3.

http://www.allegion.com.au/Uploads/D...ust%202013.pdf

I can find the lock with HS3 but get the following:

Device synchronization needs to create 1 SECURE device.
    Warning: Node 5 does not support the manufacturer specific command class - it is either a really old device or there was a communications problem.
    Device synchronization does not need to create any new Non-Secure devices.
    Node: 5 Supports Class(es): ASSOCIATION_V2, POWERLEVEL, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC_V2, VERSION_V2, SECURITY
    Node: 5 Supports Secure Class(es): DOOR_LOCK_V2, USER_CODE, BATTERY, NOTIFICATION_V3, CONFIGURATION, BASIC
    All associations for node 5 have been retrieved successfully, it supports associations on these groups: 1, 2.
    3 out of 3 Child devices of node 5 were created successfully
    I can unlock the lock, but not lock it. I have use the manual lock button to lock the lock again. But this gives an invalid value in the device status:
    16 = "INVALID VALUE=16"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marty
    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

So..it's been almost a year since I posted this.
    I have also logged a bug report (http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=2379)
    I have spoken to Schlage NZ who kindly sent me a new lock just to make sure it wasn't the lock.
    I have searched the internet many times and all clues suggest the problem is with HS3.

I have even managed to find the the XML code that MiCasaVerde uses for this lock. They had they exact same problems I am experiencing and it was corrected with an update in Vera.

Here is the XML code:
    <device id="2121" manufacturer_id="003B" basic="" generic="40" specific="" child="" prodid="4c4c" prodtype="4155" device_file="" zwave_class="" default_name="_Schlage Australia" manufacturer_name="Schlage" model="">
    <variable service="urn:micasaverde-com:serviceIdoorLock1" variable="MinPinSize" value="4" />
    <variable service="urn:micasaverde-com:serviceIdoorLock1" variable="MaxPinSize" value="4" />
    <variable service="urn:micasaverde-com:serviceIdoorLock1" variable="LockArgs" value="0,16" />
    <variable service="urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1" variable="PollSettings" value="0" />
    </device>
    It would be nice if someone form Homeseer would provide some support for me on this issue. I think I have been very patient.

Marty

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Hey Marty,

Did you end up having any luck with getting your Schlage LE162 working with HS3 in the end? I'm trialing HS3 and every Z-Wave device I have works well with the exception of this front door lock (the most important device to me!).

Cheers,
      David

Comment

Hi David,
        The bad news is I was never able to get this lock to work properly and I gave up tyring. Turns out they are not fully compliant with the Z-wave protocol and partly use their own parameters. They are not actually made by Schlage, rather made under contract by a Chinese company who are unable to provide the proper parameter list.

Also the lock failed 3 times and I had it replaced under warranty each time. I now have 3 of them, two of which are faulty. I think that the rain got into the keypad. They are not very water resistant.

In the end I had to change to different Z-wave lock. I purchased a Yale lock and a AU/NZ Z-wave module that fits inside the lock. It works perfectly and I am able to remotely assign codes, track who opens the lock etc. The problem is the Yale lock needed just one cutout, not 2 like the Schlage lock. So I also had to buy a single key barrel lock to occupy the unused cutout.

I can send you a picture if you want.

My suggestion is to change to the lock. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Marty.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, Marty. That not good news... Throws a spanner in the works for my plan to get on to Homeseer.

I don't suppose your Yale lock is the re-branded Lockwood device? I already have one of these installed on my internal garage door and you're right, it works perfectly and has a heap of extra sensors such manual open and close. It does sound a bit too mechanical when opening and closing though - I liked how the Schlage would just 'click' open.

I've tried to find a contact number/email for Schlage with out luck- I've had the lock for a couple of years, but the keys only work on the inside lock and not from the outside! Builder assures me it was installed correctly. Have got the contact details you used??

Thanks, again... Photos would be great.

David

Comment

Just another thing to note (in case anyone else has input), I don't get any inclusion errors, nor the Status Error 16 - The only Status code I get on the Door Lock sensor is '0 = Off', or '255 = On'

I noticed the Z-Wave Interface Plugin Beta (3.0.1.9) release notes made a reference to "Fixed some versions of Schlage locks not adding properly" - I installed it, re-inlcuded lock, but not change.

So the issue is that HS3 can send the Unlock command to the lock without an issue and modified codes, but the Lock command never gets received.

Cheers,
            David

Comment

Hi David,
              It's definitely a Yale lock. See picture.
              You can buy different handles for them. You can see the one I have is different from most of the pictured Yale zwave locks.....different handle. The lock itself and the handles I bought direct from Yates USA. The zwave module (AU/NZ) I had to buy from a local Yale retailer. This was cheaper than buying everything locally.
              Also you have to buy the right frequency zwave module....AU in your case. They are very easy to swap out. You can even get zigbee modules.
              The lock works very well. But like you say it's not just a simple click when it unlocks like the Schlage. You have to wait a few seconds for the mechanism to engage before opening. It makes kind of a motor noise for a brief period. But the zwave features work flawlessly.
              I don't have the contact details for Schlage anymore. It was a NZ contact who no longer works for them anyway. The last time I called them, a few years ago, the new guy didn't really understand the problem and just sent a replacement....which eventually failed anyway. I gather they have a high failure rate so Schlage have a low threshold for sending replacments. He tried to get the zwave protocol document but that was pretty useless. So I just gave up. As I mentioned the LE162 are not really Schlage locks......just cheap Chinese branded as Schlage.
              Replacing it with the Yale lock wasn't too hard. No cutting or drilling required. Just a straight swap over one of the circle cutouts and inset the new latch. But you end up with an exposed cutout as the Schlage required 2 circle cutouts. So I installed a single key barrel lock to cover it (see picture). Kind of makes it look more secure.
              Sorry I can't be of more help. Marty.
              Attached Files

Comment

Also, you might find that other home automation software has similar issues with the LE162. I recall some discussion in the Vera forums and it required some special zwave fiddling to get it to work. I even tried to reverse engineer the Vera zwave ini to see how they did it. There was a specific entry for this lock that didn't follow the standard zwave lock protocol (as in my second post above). Even then I think people only got basic functionality. Basically it doesn't follow the zwave lock 'rules' so to speak. This situation may have changed over the years though if Vera/Verde have improved their plugins.
                Marty

Comment

Hi Marty - Thanks again. The pic of your lock looks okay. I'll have to see if my Lockwood ("Wireless Digital Deadbolt") allows for replaceable handles. It just has a lock at the moment, but it looks like it can be replaced...

In the meantime, I went through your bug case and added "16" to the Dock Lock status and I can now consistently lock and unlock the device. Getting the notifications to work is another issue though...

I might re-include it to my VeraLite and see if I reverse engineer the classes from there...

Thanks again.

David

Comment

I ended up re-including the lock back in to the VeraLite as a solo device and setting up some pseado integration. Using LUUP code in a Vera scene, I push the status of the lock and notification that is triggered with each event to HS3. This then lets me use those values in HS3 for push alerts.

This is a simple push of information to HS3, and I still have to deal with Vera's unrealiability, but if I get more time I might write a script for HS3 to validate the lock status on a regular basis and be able to control the lock through JSON posts. I might reach out the HS3 community and developers again first to see how likely it is to get a fix for HS3 before developing a hopefully temporary solution...

For those interested...

Vera sene Luup code to action when a lock event is triggered:

local http = require("socket.http")
                    http.TIMEOUT = 5
                    result, status = http.request("http://<HS3IP>/JSON?request=controldevicebyvalue&ref=163&value=3")

~~
                    ref=<device id of HS3 virtual device>
                    ~~

David
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X