Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kwikset and managed transition to HS3 from HS2 - working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kwikset and managed transition to HS3 from HS2 - working!

I've been meaning to make the switch to HS3 for awhile now. For deadbolts I have a Schlage and a Kwikset (recently purchased).

I did want to do the switch vaguely managed - we rely on it during the day so I can only do playing late at night. Trying to do the "shutdown HS2, startup HS3, configure, play, test" then before quitting do "shutdown HS3, startup HS2, return to production for now" theory.

The catch - I can't add the Kwikset lock to HS3. The Schlage imported no problem, and operates on both HS2 and HS3. The Kwikset though, I cannot import it to HS3. I did find when adding the Kwikset originally to HS2 that adding to the z-troller, then importing, would fail with the "no security yada yada" messages - I had to remove the lock from the z-troller, then do a software "add" with the lock a foot away for it to successfully negotiate.

This is fine for the initial add of the lock to HS2. But if I want to have it working on both HS2 and HS3 for testing purposes, I need to be able to just import to one or the other - I can't remove the node and re-add for HS3, and then still have it work on HS2.

Suggestions? Currently it's looking like I may just have to do all my HS3 testing without my Kwikset, then once I'm ready to actually do production flip remote and re-add at that time. Is that what I'm going to have to do?

Many thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm in the same boat as you. I have all my z-wave devices setup in HS3 except for my deadbolts. When I first imported my z-wave devices into HS3 I saw all the errors associated with HS3 trying to set up the locks. I had assumed that I would need to remove the locks from the doors and bring them close to my z-troller and rescan. I tried that today with one of my locks and I get the same errors. So it does look like they need to be removed and re-added from the controller which makes it impossible to flip back and forth between HS2 and 3, unless someone knows a workaround...

Cheers
    Al
    Last edited by sparkman; May 20, 2014, 06:43 PM.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Kwikset and managed transition to HS3 from HS2

Oh, man...
      That's yet another dead stop for me to switch over to HS3. I have two Yale locks. Getting them to work reliably in HS2 took forever! I can't see doing all over again...

Comment

Hi all,

Here's how to do it (with help from Rich):
        1. Stop z-wave plugin in HS3.
        2. Copy the security key from the HS2 settings.ini file to the z-wave.ini file in HS3.
        3. Restart the z-wave plugin in HS3.
        4. Rescan the locks in HS3

Cheers
        Al

Comment

Kwikset and managed transition to HS3 from HS2

The solution should have been prominently documented by HS. I am sure many are stuck with this same topic. I know it threw me for a loop earlier on as well. Good post Sparkman.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            2. Copy the security key from the HS2 settings.ini file to the z-wave.ini file in HS3.
            Did rescanning include pulling the locks from the doors and bringing them back to the controller? Just tried the above (without pulling the locks) and get:

Code:
            Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 3
            Device synchronization needs to create 3 SECURE devices.
            Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 26, ID: 144=90H (Black & Decker), Type: 1=1H, ID: 1=1H
            Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 29, ID: 144=90H (Black & Decker), Type: 1=1H, ID: 1=1H
            Z-Wave manufacturer information for node 30, ID: 144=90H (Black & Decker), Type: 1=1H, ID: 1=1H
            Negotiating or Verifying SECURITY SCHEME for node 26
            Warning: Failed to get a SECURITY SCHEME or verify the key from node 26. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
            Warning: The security device may have a timeout when adding to the network, bring the device close to HomeSeer and use the Add Node button to add it (remove it first)
            Warning: If this device was previously added to the network, the device may need to be removed from the network and re-added.
            Warning: In case the device was previously added successfully, an attempt will be made to continue the import.
            Getting SECURITY class information for node 26
            Error: Security class information is NOT present - cannot continue loading node 26
            Negotiating or Verifying SECURITY SCHEME for node 29
            Warning: Failed to get a SECURITY SCHEME or verify the key from node 29. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
            Warning: The security device may have a timeout when adding to the network, bring the device close to HomeSeer and use the Add Node button to add it (remove it first)
            Warning: If this device was previously added to the network, the device may need to be removed from the network and re-added.
            Warning: In case the device was previously added successfully, an attempt will be made to continue the import.
            Getting SECURITY class information for node 29
            Error: Security class information is NOT present - cannot continue loading node 29
            Negotiating or Verifying SECURITY SCHEME for node 30
            Warning: Failed to get a SECURITY SCHEME or verify the key from node 30. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
            Getting SECURITY class information for node 30
            Error: Security class information is NOT present - cannot continue loading node 30
            Device synchronization does not need to create any new Non-Secure devices.
            Enabling Lock status for Kwikset device Z-Wave Node 26 Z-Wave Interface Black & Decker Door Lock Node 26 (26)
            Enabling Lock status for Kwikset device Z-Wave Node 29 Z-Wave Interface Black & Decker Door Lock Node 29 (29)
            Enabling Lock status for Kwikset device Z-Wave Node 30 Z-Wave Interface Black & Decker Door Lock Node 30 (30)
            Finished with Z-Wave device synchronization
            The devices aren't properly added, of course. If I need to pull them off the doors, I will. Just hoping to avoid that....

Comment

Hi Paul,

I did not have to remove the locks. I re-scanned each lock individually, so you may want to try that.

Cheers
              Al

Comment

Hmmm.... How are you scanning them individually? I'm starting from the devices not existing in HS3, and do an Import/Scan. I end up with the output above, that leaves me with non-functional basic devices (ie. not all the correct components). I could try rescanning those resulting devices individually...

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

You should have the root device and nothing else for each. Go into each root device on the /deviceutility page, then click on the z-wave tab and click on rescan.

Cheers
                  Al

Comment

Yup, no go. After the rescan I see no changes to the devices. Open to any other suggestions.

I really want to confirm that everything works in HS3 prior to committing. But if I can't get these deadbolts imported then it'll mean removing from the door, bringing them to my z-troller, adding them via software, then reinstalling teh locks. And it means i'm committed at that point....

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Prior to me following the steps above, I had the same issues as you're having. I removed one of my locks (which I can do in less than a minute now ) and tried rescanning it within a foot of my z-troller. Problem was, it didn't work any better. Can you confirm that the z-wave section in the zwave.ini file in your HS3 config folder is the same as the z-wave section in your settings.ini file in the HS2 config folder? I also have an entry: Response_Wait=8000. Do you have something similar? If not, maybe add it to see if that helps.

Cheers
                      Al

Comment

A slight variation on bringing the device and controller in to close proximity and a different approach to using an evaluation copy of HS3 on a laptop, is to temporarily extend the cabling of your controller. I use a 75' patch cable for my Sena LS 100 and plug it and the z-troller in to outlets close to the problem device. Then I can go through all the troubleshooting steps with the device in its normal location, using a tablet for the web config screens.
                        cheeryfool

Comment

Can you confirm that the z-wave section in the zwave.ini file in your HS3 config folder is the same as the z-wave section in your settings.ini file in the HS2 config folder?
                          Success - Turns out I misread your original post. I copied the Z-Wave stanza from settings.ini in HS2 to settings.ini in HS3 rather than Z-Wave.ini.

When I fixed that, I was able to successfully scan the locks and get the appropriate devices. I'm still having some communications reliability issues with my more distant locks, so I may try the Response_wait flag as well to see what happens.

Many thanks!

Paul

Comment

Great, glad you got it working.

Cheers
                            Al

Comment

Hi all,

Here's how to do it (with help from Rich):

Cheers
                              Al
                              I observed a security error when I added (prior to removing the nodes from HS2) both my Kwikset door locks in HS3. I was able to control the locks ok, just not able to get any devicestring values for the lock or lock notification devices. So I did the above, then when I rescanned both locks I didn't get any errors! So far so good I thought, the locks SAID they were locked or unlocked (when I locked/unlocked them). However, there is no physical locking movements now, and HS thinks there is! It's gotten worse. To add insult to injury, still can't see any devicestring values (although devicevalues are reporting). Anybody know what I should do to fix this? Should I restore the original HS3 security key? I'm exhausted trying to get these to work!
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X