Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the "Linux Tools" password?

So far I've only read what *doesn't* work: hsthsths3

I'm currently running HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.146 (Linux) on a Raspberry Pi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	linuxpwd.png
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1207048

This is the password you set when you first installed - the password for the user 'homeseer'
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
      This is the password you set when you first installed - the password for the user 'homeseer'
      You mean user 'hs'? I set his password to null (empty string), and I subsequently noticed the hs account can only log-in through the actual console (not a virtual console like an ssh terminal). If it's asking for hs's password, it would stand to reason that this is a similar manifestation. I did try entering carriage-return into the HS3 prompt (above picture) as the password, but it was rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
        You mean user 'hs'? I set his password to null (empty string), and I subsequently noticed the hs account can only log-in through the actual console (not a virtual console like an ssh terminal). If it's asking for hs's password, it would stand to reason that this is a similar manifestation. I did try entering carriage-return into the HS3 prompt (above picture) as the password, but it was rejected.
        Just a guess here, but have you tried logging in to the HS Web gui as an admin user instead of "default". It may be (arguably SHOULD be) that you should be an HS admin to utilise that toolset.

When I was playing with HS3 on Linux (about 6 months ago) I was never asked for a password, but I was always logged in to the web gui as an admin
        cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
          You might have to assign a real password to the 'homeseer' user.
          Just SSH to the box as root and: passwd homeseer

Then try that new password in the Linux Tools.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

This fails with whatever password you try.
            As far as I understand it this is a feature meant for Zee users, it simply doesn't work for a plain Linux install.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
              Just a guess here, but have you tried logging in to the HS Web gui as an admin user instead of "default". It may be (arguably SHOULD be) that you should be an HS admin to utilise that toolset.

When I was playing with HS3 on Linux (about 6 months ago) I was never asked for a password, but I was always logged in to the web gui as an admin
              Thanks for the idea. I don't yet see a way to confer special powers to a user named "admin", unless perhaps "admin" is a reserved word that gets special powers automatically. Maybe the power is part of "Linux Tools"?

Name:	passwords.png
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1175410

In any case, it's moot, because I can't change/add/delete anything regarding web users without entering the system password. I'll try changing it tonight when I have more time.

Comment

Admin is a user right to an account and this is managed in Tools -> Setup -> Network. I was just able to add and modify users in there when logged in with "normal" user rights. You are currently logged in as the user "default" which I would imagine probably has "normal" user rights unless you downgraded it to "guest" rights. Have you tried modifying or creating accounts with the "default" login that you are currently using? Worth a try if not
                cheeryfool

Comment

I deleted the "HomeSeer" user and then manually readded it with a proper password.

However, HS3 still doesn't allow me to change the system password (see below).

Name:	passwd3.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1175416

The error message itself seems rather peculiar. Why would it be trying to "change locale?"

I can log-in now as HomeSeer over an ssh terminal (see below), whereas before I could not. However, as I demonstrate below, it doesn't have adequate authority to even reboot the system, whereas my regular pi account does. This is just a very wild guess, but could that be related to HS3's inability to let me change the HS3 system password? i.e. maybe HS3 lacks adequate authorization in some general sense?

Name:	passwd2.png
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1175415

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                    Admin is a user right to an account and this is managed in Tools -> Setup -> Network. I was just able to add and modify users in there when logged in with "normal" user rights. You are currently logged in as the user "default" which I would imagine probably has "normal" user rights unless you downgraded it to "guest" rights. Have you tried modifying or creating accounts with the "default" login that you are currently using? Worth a try if not
                    Thanks for the guidance on that. I created users "hs" and "homeseer" and gave both of them admin rights. It doesn't appear to have changed anything though. In fact, I can't even logout, or perhaps I do but "default" user immediately becomes logged in.

Anyhow, not sure what to make of all this, or what to do about it either. I welcome additional suggestions from anyone.

Comment

Here the Linux tools works fine in my Zee setup but not in the HSPro setup.

Unzip the attached to your html directory and run it via a custom link.

Works well here. You can play with the html file making it more HS3 centric.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pete; December 5, 2014, 02:39 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Here the Linux tools works fine in my Zee setup but not in the HSPro setup.

Unzip the attached to your html directory and run it via a custom link.

Works well here. You can play with the html file making it more HS3 centric.
                        Thanks, Pete! I had thought I was the only one experiencing the problem. This is the first I've heard it wasn't working for others either, as Rob (above) made no mention of it not working for him.

@Rob: is "Linux tools" working for you on the pi? On your hummingboard?

@Pete: Is the applet you attached the same as Linux Tools or is it something else?

Comment

With the Zee it was a nice to have. I switched over to mostly just using SSH remotely with the Zee.

I didn't see the Linux command line web gui features until one of the latest HS3 Pro for Linux versions. That said I configured the password when first starting HS3 Pro. Messed up and never did get it to work. Really though it doesn't give you a whole bunch. I will reboot the RPi into Zee mode so I can post pictures of the Linux command line stuff.

The applet above is a regular SSH window in the GUI. Its just some four files or so you drop into your HTML directory. Once there you just configure HS3Pro with the extra web page. I added the links shown to return me back to the main HS3 Pro page.

You can configure it via the drop down to SSH to any device or the RPi. Way better than the Linux tools as it's a full featured SSH terminal window. You can use nano to edit files and whatever with it. There is some certificate stuff you have to do to allow Java to run. Once you do this all is well.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            With the Zee it was a nice to have. I switched over to mostly just using SSH remotely with the Zee.

I didn't see the Linux command line web gui features until one of the latest HS3 Pro for Linux versions. That said I configured the password when first starting HS3 Pro. Messed up and never did get it to work. Really though it doesn't give you a whole bunch. I will reboot the RPi into Zee mode so I can post pictures of the Linux command line stuff.

The applet above is a regular SSH window in the GUI. Its just some four files or so you drop into your HTML directory. Once there you just configure HS3Pro with the extra web page. I added the links shown to return me back to the main HS3 Pro page.

You can configure it via the drop down to SSH to any device or the RPi. Way better than the Linux tools as it's a full featured SSH terminal window. You can use nano to edit files and whatever with it. There is some certificate stuff you have to do to allow Java to run. Once you do this all is well.
                            Is that the essence of what Linux Tools is? It does sound like a more elegant, integrated approach, but aside from that does it buy you anything over merely opening a Putty ssh terminal window and logging into the homeseer (hs) account?

Comment

This looks like a tell-tale clue. I'm getting the following error in my log now, exactly once every minute:

dec-05 12:26:05 Warning Lost 5 seconds, maybe system busy, catching up...
                              dec-05 12:26:05 Warning Could not write to INI file /home/hs/HomeSeer/Config/settings.ini:Access to the path "/home/hs/HomeSeer/Config/settings.ini" is denied.
                              dec-05 12:25:05 Warning Lost 5 seconds, maybe system busy, catching up...

It's odd the HomeSeer is being denied write access to its own files. I guess I'll lookup how to give it permission and see if that fixes it.

Comment

Working...
                              X