How to set a device's value from a virtual device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set a device's value from a virtual device

So I am trying to see if there is a way to set a device's value (for example, a light bulb) from a virtual device. Is this possible? If so, how do I get started? I'm usually pretty good at picking up things, but everything I have found does not explain how to do what I wish to do.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by ilkgmmn00 View Post
    So I am trying to see if there is a way to set a device's value (for example, a light bulb) from a virtual device. Is this possible? If so, how do I get started? I'm usually pretty good at picking up things, but everything I have found does not explain how to do what I wish to do.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    You can do it with scripting, but Spud's Easy Trigger plug-in allows you to set a device to another device - much easier. It has many other useful features as well.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      You can do it with scripting, but Spud's Easy Trigger plug-in allows you to set a device to another device - much easier. It has many other useful features as well.
      So I have just set up everything with virtual devices using the Easy Trigger plugin, but the only thing left to figure out is how to include a dimmer with virtual devices. I can't seem to make it function correctly.
      Am I missing something? When I go to add the range values, it doesn't do anything on the web interface. Other than that, the on/off functions work well with the virtual devices now.

Thanks

Comment

Take a look at the last part of post #6 in this thread. It explains how to set a range value. Essentially, you first remove the fixed values from a virtual device. Most dimmers have off=0, a dim range of 1-98, 99=on and 255=On Last Level. You create the range value of 1-98 for dim level first, then you can add the Off value, the On value and the On Last Level value. You want the Virtual Device to have identical values to the dimmer you want to control. You can also add the same status graphics if you wish. While I add a On Last Level value to my virtual devices, this can be problematic when you are controlling multiple dimmers, since each could have been at a different level when they were last on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1190252

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1190254

The trigger on your event would be:
        IF The Virtual device just had its value set or changed.
        Then use Easy Trigger to "Set a Device to another Device" and set the dimmer(s) to the Virtual Device. The "Set or Changed Trigger, will automatically set the real dimmers to the VD any time its value is set or changed. The reason you want "Set" in the mix is it will allow you to turn the lights on or off from the Virtual Device, even if it is already at the value. This avoids the need to have separate events to set the VD to the physical device. This is easy enough when a VD is controlling a single physical device, but can be very difficult if controlling several.

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1190253
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
        X