Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set one device = to another

Newb here. Coming from the ISY.

In the ISY I was able to set a variable of either a state (on/off), or integer (range). Doing this allowed me to set one device equal to another based on that variable.

The scenario I am looking at is this: I have an Insteon light bulb in the each of my two bedside lamps. The lamps (bulbs) are controlled by a DimmerLinc in the wall, and each have their own respective RemoteLinc switches (allowing for local on/off, dimming). When I turn on the wall switch, the lamps come on. When I turn off the wall switch, they go off and all statuses equal one-another.

However, when I dim the lamps via the RemoteLinc at the bedside, the DimmerLinc at the wall does not reflect the change (I know, first world problems). Same if I turn off the lamps at the bedside via RemoteLinc - the DimmerLinc remains in an "on" status/state, even though the lights are off.

What I would like to happen is for the DimmerLinc to reflect the current AVERAGE of the two lamps. For instance, if one lamp is on, and one is off, then the DimmerLinc should be at 50%. If both lamps are at 3%, then the DimmerLinc should also be at 3%.

Since Homeseer doesn't use Variables, I think I have to use a (set of?) virtual device to accomplish the goal here, but can't see how to get the status of one or more devices to update the status of another (n:1). Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't have it, but the plugin EasyTrigger may be able to do this for you (not sure about the averaging though).
    It is easy enough to do using a script. Scripts really do add a lot of power to HomeSeer. If you haven't written any yet, this could be a good place to start.

Comment

Since you want the average, then likely the easiest way is with a small script. The EasyTrigger plugin allows you to set one device to another, but I don't believe it can be set to an average of two devices.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

HomeSeer does use global variables, but they are volatile. As a result the variable must be declared each time a script is run.

Virtual Devices are non-volatile variables and they are fully supported by events, so they are quite a bit easier to use.

The Easy Trigger plug-in has an Action to set a device to an expression. Using replacement variables, you can set a third device to an average of two individual devices using replacement variables. Here I have created Two Dimmer like devices and a third Average device:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture3.PNG Views:	1 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	1271642
        Then I created this Event and ran it

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	1271643

The average was written to the third device

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	1271644

Easy Trigger is a must have plug-in as far as I am concerned. It does so much more than this one thing.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          HomeSeer does use global variables, but they are volatile. As a result the variable must be declared each time a script is run.

Virtual Devices are non-volatile variables and they are fully supported by events, so they are quite a bit easier to use.

The Easy Trigger plug-in has an Action to set a device to an expression. Using replacement variables, you can set a third device to an average of two individual devices using replacement variables. The average was written to the third device

Easy Trigger is a must have plug-in as far as I am concerned. It does so much more than this one thing.

That worked!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Comment

Working...
          X