"Status" vs. "String" confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Status" vs. "String" confusion

I used to know this, but I'm getting so rusty....

The Status column on the Device (Home) page displays both the status icon and the ...value? Or string? The value if not overridden by a string, correct?

OK, assuming I've got that right, when I hit a control associated with that device on the Device Status page (the Control column), it SHOULD change the string in the Status column to the string associated with that value, yes?

So what am I doing wrong here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_20191218130932.png
Views:	199
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1347757

Name:	ScreenShot_20191218131138.png
Views:	197
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1347758

(The green house icon is my symbol for HOME, not AWAY!)

My objective is to simply be able to click "Home" and have the correct icon AND STRING display in the Status column. That is, the string specified under the status column above. How can I accomplish that?

PS: There is an event that affects this status device...but that works fine! It's just from the web page I am having problems.

Attached Files

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

AFAIK, if a device has a "string" associated with it, that is, characters in the string entry, that string will always display in place of the "status" string on the Device Management page. The page will display the "status" only if the string entry of the device is empty. The value of the device is not affected by an entry in the string field. The "status" is a literal associated with the value, so the status of the device is not affected by the presence of the overriding string.

To see what is going on with the device, look on the Advanced tab. Can you post a screen shot?

What does the icon assignment table look like for the device?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      AFAIK, if a device has a "string" associated with it, that is, characters in the string entry, that string will always display in place of the "status" string on the Device Management page. The page will display the "status" only if the string entry of the device is empty. The value of the device is not affected by an entry in the string field. The "status" is a literal associated with the value, so the status of the device is not affected by the presence of the overriding string.

To see what is going on with the device, look on the Advanced tab. Can you post a screen shot?

What does the icon assignment table look like for the device?
      Yes...the problem being that I don't know how that string "Away" got in there in the first place.

Name:	ScreenShot_20191218133747.png
Views:	198
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1347764
      And apparently I can't edit it in this Advanced tab. In any case, I thought just hitting the Home control button would overwrite that field with the correct string. Apparently I was mistaken. Again.

I guess I need to find out if an event is explicitly putting that in there?

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

You can clear the device string with an immediate script command &hs.SetDeviceString(208, "", True), but that won't "stick" if you are setting the device string in an event.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

You can also clear or set it with an Event Action. Use the advanced options. This will only work with controllable Devices not on "Status Only" Devices.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture.png Views:	0 Size:	30.9 KB ID:	1347771

Then follow the instructions, except use 'clear' in the "Set Device String to:' field not the "Set Display" field

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture1.png Views:	0 Size:	35.1 KB ID:	1347772

Make sure you are not setting it with one of your Events.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Understanding.
            Gratitude.
            Closure.

Jim Speiser
            Still don't know squat

Comment

Working...
            X