Occupancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupancy

I thought i would do a post as well, to show how in my house I use a virtual device to determine the House's Occupancy.

This is slightly convoluted, as I do not use motion sensors but rather use PHLocation, however the concept will be the same regardless of what you use provided it has a status change when you are home, then not at home (e.g. Bluetooth or so on).

The principle is this, when someone is home the House becomes Occupied, if more people come home, since the house is already "Occupied" it does not change state.

When someone leaves the house, it checks the individual users to see if they are still home, and if they are not home, and the house is marked as occupied then it becomes Unoccupied.

Take example 1, a Guest arrives home and the Guest Occupancy virtual device changes and becomes ON, if no one is home, and the house has a value of Not-Occupied then the house status is set to Occupied.

In another Example, LH Not near home, her PHLocation Near to home device changes and becomes Not Near (or could be OFF with another system), this checks to see if the house is Occupied, and checks to see that no guests are home, the override is not enabled, and that I am not near home as well and if all of those conditions are met, then it marks the house as Not-Occupied.

The same thing essentially happens with me leaving home, or a guest leaving home.

So in summary the person coming home is the easiest, when that persons near home device becomes ON it checks to see if the house is Not-Occupied, and if so then the house becomes OCCUPIED.

When someone leaves, it does abit more and checks to see if the other users are not there, and the house is OCCUPIED and that person was the only one left at home it marks as UN-Occupied.

Why do this you may ask, well this is where I love homeseer, I can then trigger a whole range of events based on the house becoming Not-Occupied. In my case this shuts down the PC's around the house (using Jon00's RCCNM), turns off all the lights, starts up a robotic vacuum using IR, turns off the Air Conditioners, and also lets me know as we leave if a window is still open.

The power of virtual devices is nearly unlimited, I use it for determining the occupancy of our house, but you could do the same thing for a room (e.g. no guests are around, so shut down the guest room) and beyond.
    Attached Files
    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Hi Travis

I use similar logic and virtual devices to you for the usual residents of the house. I have just been pondering how to handle guests and currently just have a manual virtual device for guests.

I think if I am reading your setup correctly you have 2 virtual devices for guests, one automatic and then an override. If that's the case how are you automatically determining that there are guests present? Do you have some normally non-resident family / good friends also setup with PHLocation? Or perhaps using custom door lock codes?

My own setup has virtual devices for the two of us and the manual guest one. If any of us are home then a 4th virtual device is set to home. If all are away, then the same device is set to away.

Cheers
    James
    cheeryfool

Comment

You are reading it correctly in that I have one device which is the override, if that is set to ON the system will not leave occupied mode, then I have another device which is set based on if guests are home or not.

The way I set that device, and i did not show it for simplicity is to use Jon00's Remote Control package which scans the network, and when the guest device (e.g. Mother in Law) becomes ON then the guest occupancy gets made ON, and when she leaves it checks to see if other guests are also ON (e.g. network devices) and if not then it turns that device OFF.

That was the easiest way for me to do it, as I could set their devices to connect to my network if they were staying, and since i give them a fixed IP Address (although Jon00's package works without it) as soon as their device becomes ON i know they are home. You could also use the Bluetooth scanner package as well to do a similar thing I believe.

The override was really more about if I knew I was having non-categorised or Non-LAN access guests, I could stop things turning off automatically.
      HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Working...
      X