Virtual power meting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual power meting

I want to make a device which logs the power usage according to the on/off time of a outlet.
    I know that the device uses 10watt when on.
    How can i 'build' such a device

Virtual power meting

You can use a timer to track the total time the outlet is ON. Create an event that will start the timer when the outlet turns ON. Create a second event that will stop the timer when the outlet turns OFF. The timer will add up all the ON time until it is reset. The power used will be: KWhrs=(total ON time) x 10 / 1000. You will probably have to use a script to do the calculation.

I have an elaborate tracking system using HS2 to track all my major appliances. I create a log file for each major appliance and write the ON/OFF values to the log. Each week I run an Excel spreadsheet to tabulate and total the KWhrs used. I then compare the results to the daily usage values from my power company. Here is the graph for the past few months.

Steve Q

(Graph would not upload- will try later)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Steve Q; October 31, 2015, 07:55 AM.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Nothing is ever easy! In looking closer at the HS3 timer function, it is in a complex format (days,hours,minutes,seconds) that appears to be unusable by other devices. It will take some scripting to get the time into minutes. I will look into it further, I would like to know how to better use the timer function.

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
        Nothing is ever easy! In looking closer at the HS3 timer function, it is in a complex format (days,hours,minutes,seconds) that appears to be unusable by other devices. It will take some scripting to get the time into minutes. I will look into it further, I would like to know how to better use the timer function.

Steve Q

The format isn't that hard.
        Code:
        Value	187321 = "187321"  
        String	2:04:02:01
        The value is the total of seconds of the string (2days,4hours,2minutes, 1second)
        For scripting a simple divide by 60 is enough

Comment

One way of doing it is like this:

- Create a virtual device called "Device1 - Power"
          - Create a rule for ON: If "Device1 - Relay" is "ON" then set "Device1 - Power" to "20W".
          - Create a rule for OFF: If "Device1 - Relay" is "OFF" then set "Device1 - Power" to "0W".
          - Then use MQTT+Node-RED or a HS script to broadcast the "Device1 - Power" every time it changes state to emoncms.org using their API.

This way EmonCMS will do all the calculations for you like kWh, daily usage and so on. It also gives you nice charts and dashboards that you can display in HSTouch.

Also if you use the MQTT+Node-RED way you can configure EmonCMS to broadcast the calculated values back into your HomeSeer system.

I'm writing this on my phone so I know it's not very detailed, but if you are interested in doing your energy history this way I can write you a proper tutorial to get you started when I get to my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Source View Post
            The format isn't that hard.

Code:
            Value187321 = "187321"  

String2:04:02:01
            The value is the total of seconds of the string (2days,4hours,2minutes, 1second)

For scripting a simple divide by 60 is enough

How did you get the timer value in seconds? I created an event that uses a script.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Its just on the advanced tab in device management of the timer device.
              See the attachment. Now timer is at 0 but value is in seconds.
              Attached Files

Comment

What version of HS3 are you using? I do not have the page you are showing.

Steve Q

Comment

What version of HS3 are you using? I do not have the page you are showing.

Steve Q

Steve,

As of build 3.0.0.199 Homeseer creates a timer device for each timer and counter. Look in the device manager and filter by Counters-Timers

Greig.
                  Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                  X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                  Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                  Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                  Scripts =
                  Various

Comment

I am on HS3 ver .180. I wish I had known about the timer and counter devices! Looks like I Wasted a lot of time!

Steve Q

Comment

I am on HS3 ver .180. I wish I had known about the timer and counter devices! Looks like I Wasted a lot of time!

Steve Q

They are great for use in HSTouch to. It looks like you need to update

Greig.
                      Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                      X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                      Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                      Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                      Scripts =
                      Various

Comment

I will update, but I'm having lots of issues right now with the Dell laptop that is running HS3. My COM ports occasionally disappear. It was really stable most of the summer because I left HS3 alone. Now that I have restarted my migration from HS2 to HS3 it has become somewhat unstable. I did not want to move to 208 because I did not think there was much benefit.

Thanks,
                        Steve Q

Comment

With my previous hardware build I had an installable build causing all kind of errors "kernel power error" etc. Problem was caused by a weak 5v in the power supply.( USB uses 5v line) The new build ( different housing and power supply) is stable and only restarted because of updates.

Comment

Hello,

I requested a feature on 7/8/2015 in Bugzilla (Bugzilla #2871) that I personally think would help address the request you have as well....here's the text in the Bugzilla Feature Request....:

---------------

Hello,

Feature Request:

It would be great to be able to add a device power consumed estimate in a HS Device manually. For instance, I have a UPB light switch that controls my hall lights. I know that they are 7W LED bulbs so I could estimate that the 2 bulbs are going to consume 14W of power that could be graphed. As for dimming, with either an ammeter or using the CurrentCost information, you could know the difference at a rated value even though this isn't typically linear. Maybe having the entry on the Device Status Graphics Screen so the Power Value could be beneficial. For 0=Off=0W, For 100=On=14W. I think it would be great information even though it would have to have the accuracy of the bulb rating etc put in manually. It would be an easy way to track estimated power based off of device controls that don't automatically report it. If you could run a curve for power appropriate to the Dimmer function (Like Value 1-99) etc, then it would be even better!

Thanks!

-Travis

---------------

I think this would be great and work well if it were implemented for many device types.

-Travis

Comment

Working...
                            X