Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Range Mapping

Hi All,
    This Section is probably the closest to my topic although I am talking rather about a real device than a virtual device here.

My Problem is that I would like to map"Range Mapping" it is actually close to there -but what is missing is a kind of mathematical correction factor to be put in somewhere in a form field to allow for e.g. multiply by *1.6 or divide by /2 and so on.

Look the Unit mapping is there and also the offset - so wouldn't it be good to have also the "Range Mapping" by a correction factor I could see a lot of use in that for various purposes.

How do others think about that and do you see a workaround other than using an additional virtual device to map thing to ?
    Virtual Devices to map to is a kind of overkill and hold restrictions - isn't it?
    And how could I use it two-way then (also for control, nor just as a read back or status representation) ?

Cheers

Comment

Unless you can convince the plugin author for the respective plugin to do this for you then you will have to use a virtual device, then convert the real device value to the new value with a mathematical function. Something like this is how - http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1232812

Comment

Why not handle it all in a script? I'm assuming your using some other type of interface as well? HSTouch, if so handle all the calculations in a script and then use the same ones in HSTouch, its not the best solution but it should work.

So you would want to make the range 0 - 100 to cover the ranges you wanted (-20.0 to +79.5). Then you call a script everytime the value changes. The script should then calculate what value to set the tempreture so for example at a 0 value it should be at -20.0F at a value of 20 it should set the tempreture to 0.0F.

Comment

Thanks mrhappy & matt246 for your useful hints.
          I think your suggestions would work for my needs as far as the direction "reading the thermostat and showing the right value" is concerned.
          Since I'm also looking for a bidirectional communication value mapping I will eventually end up with something more complex, probably.

For my termostats I use a device that "mimics" two X10 addresses reachable by ACT TI103.
          The thermostat hardware is my own development. (I'm more familiar with microcontrollers than any HST SDK and plugin programming).

Why I need two addresses is because of - one is the sensor and the other represents the thermostat setpoint. with other words one is for reading the temperature (sensor) the other can be read and written for setpoint control.
          The only usable value range is the extended Dim range for dimmers, which offers a value range from 0..63
          (not much but barely enough.)
          This whole construct was much more acceptable than blowing a full range of housecodes (i.e. 16 addresses) for real X10 thermostats.

There is also a lot of real dimmers and real appliances based on the X10 protocol around my house, that just work fine. The only thing I was missing are the termostats.

Maybe for now it will be least effort to go with just "value pairs" as I can copy the X10 device in HS after creation and should have to do it only once. (Whereas scripting would mean to adapt every device with individual device-ID numbers).

-------------------------
          best regards

Comment

Working...
          X