Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got a virtual device created that holds the set point for my fan control (temp) and can also disable the fan control. The event group conditions make sure the device is NOT disabled, then uses it's value for comparison to the actual temperature. I think I reworked the logic correctly.....we'll see tomorrow, assuming it gets warm enough upstairs to trigger the fan.

One thing I couldn't do......I have no selection for text box, only drop down list. Is there something that triggers being able to use a text box?

David

Comment

Originally posted by david.delano View Post
      I finally got a virtual device created that holds the set point for my fan control (temp) and can also disable the fan control. The event group conditions make sure the device is NOT disabled, then uses it's value for comparison to the actual temperature. I think I reworked the logic correctly.....we'll see tomorrow, assuming it gets warm enough upstairs to trigger the fan.

One thing I couldn't do......I have no selection for text box, only drop down list. Is there something that triggers being able to use a text box?

David
      Can you post a screenshot of your Status Graphics and Configuration tabs for that device? There should always be 4 choices when it is a range value control.
      Attached Files

Comment

Randy -

I have been a computer professional for 35+ years, and I've never figured out how to get a decent screen shot, especially on a phone.

So, how would I get the above screen shot?

My drop down looks just like yours, but no text box choice - just three selections. I think all my software is up to date.

David

Comment

Randy -

I have been a computer professional for 35+ years, and I've never figured out how to get a decent screen shot, especially on a phone.

So, how would I get the above screen shot?

My drop down looks just like yours, but no text box choice - just three selections. I think all my software is up to date.

David
          Screenshots with a phone are a little tough from the cropping, sizing and editing standpoint. On an iPhone, holding the sleep/wake button and pressing the Home button will capture a screenshot. On android I think it is hold power and press volume down.

On a Windows computer Alt+PrtScn will capture the active window, then you can paste int into Paint to save as a JPG or PNG file - BMP is not a good choice. Windows also ships with "Snipping Tool" which allows you to select any portion of the screen and save it in one of several formats.

Once you have your screenshot you want to resize it to about 800 pixels wide if it is larger than 1000 pixels wide and attach it using manage attachments under Additional Options below the post. If you are adding them after the fact you will have to use Go Advanced under the edit screen to get the attachment management.

Comment

Ok, got that.....how do I get it to appear inline? Screen shot should be attached.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, got that.....how do I get it to appear inline? Screen shot should be attached.
              I have no idea why you don't have that choice. I just built a duplicate of your device and have the four choices. What did you pick for "Control Use" on that control? I can't think of anything else that could affect it.

Just to cover all bases, what O/S, what version of HS, what browser?

Comment

From the FAQ are instructions to make an image attachment embed in a post. I host my images on my server and embed the URL because it is easier for me, but you can do it through the forum software as well. You have to attach it first. Click on the paper clip icon

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1186112

and you will get a pop up window allowing you too browse for and upload files

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1190556

Close the pop up after uploading up to 6 files, then go back to the attachments arrow to select an image to embed.

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1186113

When you click on an attachment it will add the following

PHP Code:
                [ATTACH]55082[/ATTACH
                this code will display an attached image within the post.

I attached the three screenshots, then went back and inserted them by the method in the third screenshot.

You are limited to 6 attachments but you can have up to 12 embedded images. This is not a problem in most cases, but if you need more than 6, you need to break your post up or host the images on another server.
                Last edited by randy; April 14, 2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I'm running HS3 on a Windows 10 tablet. I am accessing it remotely, using DDNS, with Chrome.

HS3 says: HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.208 (Windows)

Comment

I'm running HS3 on a Windows 10 tablet. I am accessing it remotely, using DDNS, with Chrome.

HS3 says: HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.208 (Windows)

You might want to try the current release of HomeSeer 3.0.0.280

I am running beta 3.0.0.289 which is very reliable and has the improved event threading (I think).

The latest beta is 3.0.0.292

Maybe something was changed in later releases.

Comment

I created a virtual device this week that mimics a light dimmer. I then added an event and used Easy Trigger to set a group of lights to the setting of the virtual circuit. It works quite nicely. The only "issue" is if the lights have been set individually, and I want to turn them all off, and the circuit is already off, there is no event to fire, so have to turn the virtual circuit on, then off.

This replaces a bunch of individual events for controlling the light group!

David

BTW, I've given up on using the Grouper script. It works about half the time and is semi-destructive the rest of the time.

Comment

I created a virtual device this week that mimics a light dimmer. I then added an event and used Easy Trigger to set a group of lights to the setting of the virtual circuit. It works quite nicely. The only "issue" is if the lights have been set individually, and I want to turn them all off, and the circuit is already off, there is no event to fire, so have to turn the virtual circuit on, then off.

This replaces a bunch of individual events for controlling the light group!

David

BTW, I've given up on using the Grouper script. It works about half the time and is semi-destructive the rest of the time.
                        Try using "If Virtual Device just had its value set or changed". Here is my event to control 4 Cooper dimmers in our Media Room

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1187161

Even if the lights are on and the virtual device is off, setting the virtual device to off without changing its value will turn all of the lights off.

Comment

Thanks, Randy!

I was just using "if device just had it's value changed". I changed that to "set or changed". NOW it does what I wanted.

Just curious....what are all the actions setting to Off before setting the devices to the master level??

This eliminates the need for a separate ON/OFF event, AND the various dim settings that I use especially at Christmas/Easter. I've lost all those events due to moving to a new HS3 machine, but recreating them will be much more simple now.

David

Comment

Just curious....what are all the actions setting to Off before setting the devices to the master level??

David
                            I use time, luminance and virtual device status to determine the level at which lights are set when they are turned on. They are my Dimmer Default events outlined in this thread. I have refined the structure of those events somewhat since posting in that thread. The concept is the same, but I added comparison to virtual devices for the individual levels so that they can be dynamically adjusted. I have promised to update that thread with the new setup, but haven't gotten around to it. I will try to do it over the weekend.

The reason I turn all 4 control virtual devices off, is so that my dimmer defaults do not override the settings from the master control. The event structure allows for the following
                            • When any dimmer is turned on to any level from off, it goes to the default level for that time of day and set of circumstances.
                            • Once the light is set to the default level, the virtual device that controls application of default levels is turned off, so that I can adjust them locally.
                            • When the light is turned off the virtual device is turned back on.

Whenever I control the device from an event, I turn the virtual device off, if I don't want the default level to be set.

Comment

Got it. I don't quite need that sophistication (yet).

David

Comment

Hi

Thank you, this is a very helpful thread. Is it possible to create a virtual device with "Parent Root" and "Children"? In the "occupancy" scenario I am thinking of basic setup as described but 3 "Child" groups relating to "guest" rooms which can be "Occupied/Unoccupied". I know I can do this in other ways but a single control could be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X