Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Android Tablet w/ Available Wall Mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Android Tablet w/ Available Wall Mount?

I bought a Samsuing S2 8.0 as it was thin and great resolution. I cannot find a decent or any for that matter wall mount to use that includes charging over POE. What are you guys using?

Wall Mount touchscreens

Hey,

I have several of the IWAC7 wallmounted touchscreens made specifically for HomeSeer but you can't get those any longer. I had one go out recently so I have been looking at other solutions. I ended up getting a Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, a VidaMount for wall mounting, and a POE Splitter from UCTronics for charging solution all purchased via Amazon. The wallmount is pricey but well designed and the POE solution solved my charging problem and I now using WiFi for the actual network connection. VidaMount is tablet specific and they currently only support the Tab 4 and Tab A for Samsung Galaxy in a few different sizes.

Let me know if this isn't clear or if you have any questions and I will try to provide more details. Also, let me know if you find other viable solutions.

Comment

I actually did this a bit differently several years back on vera... still works well, although may be tricky when I change tablets, at least as far as the frames are concerned. Quick steps for all that are interested.
      • I mounted my tablets near switches already, so i could pull romex easily.
      • i cut a hole near the switch, and installed a recessed outlet box with romex pulled to it
      • i then installed an outlet WITH a USB power port it in
      • i used small 1 foot USB to Mini cables to fit in the recessed box. I actually had to dremel a bit where the outlet screws to the box to get it to be completely 'inside' the box and not poking out
      • I then took any tablet, and used 3M command velco strips to secure the tablet to the recessed box. actually looked pretty good, but i still didn't like the look of the USB plus out the side of the tablet
      • i found these really nice wooden black picture frames that were almost the same cutout size as my 7" tablet size. Used a router tablet at my friends to basically carve out the inner dimensions so the tablet would fit, with about an 8th of an inch space all around
      • drilled a hole where the front facing camera is
      • and mounted weather stripping like foam on the inner edges of the frame. I can actually press fit the frame right onto the tablet (on wall with 3M strips) and it holds there perfectly.
      • easy to pull off and make changes, etc. if my tablets change, i'll need to try to find another frame.
      • for a test, i did order a 'custom' frame online from a store.. took two trys to get something that would work, and was about $40. so not bad

Not flush, but i'm really happy with the look. Using Imperihome.

Comment

some pictures...
        Attached Files

Comment

That looks great Tom! I think it would even have high WAF, which is incredibly important, in my mind

Comment

I changed a couple of older 7" tablets I had in frames out this weekend to 7.85" ones but decided to address the charging cable sticking out of the frames. What I did was take a couple of QI wireless charging receivers and chop the circuit board off to use only the ribbon cable and tiny micro usb connector. then I just soldered a leads to them with a small connector for easy removal, the power cable is in the wall so when mounted you see nothing.
            John
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
              I changed a couple of older 7" tablets I had in frames out this weekend to 7.85" ones but decided to address the charging cable sticking out of the frames. What I did was take a couple of QI wireless charging receivers and chop the circuit board off to use only the ribbon cable and tiny micro usb connector. then I just soldered a leads to them with a small connector for easy removal, the power cable is in the wall so when mounted you see nothing.
              John
              Nice. What's the frame?

Comment

They are 5x7 metal picture frames from Bed Bath Beyond, I bought them a few years back and they don't have them at our local store now. They worked very well as the whole back slides off (same size as frame) with just a 1/4" lip that slides under the back. I just screwed the frame backing to the wall and the frame just slides on to it flush with the wall. Robbed my son's Lego box to use them as spacers inside the frame to center the tablet, was surprised at how easy it was to use Legos as spacers with a little 2 sided tape.
                My older 7" Lenovo tablets just barely fit the width of these frames but the new (but cheap) ones are 7.85" but have a more 4x3 aspect ratio with 768x1024 and the screen is about 1/4" taller than the 5x7 frame opening. this works out fine as some apps don't like fullscreen immersive mode anyway so I offset the tablet to hide the control bar at the bottom. It gives me 1024x720 in HSTouch and for Spotify you just cant see the control bar so it looks fullscreen. Long story short the display completely fills the frame now and looks like it was made professionally to any user (Wife) haha.

John

Comment

super simple..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Had an Amazon HD6 tablet laying around and noticed the screen is perfect for a 4x6 frame, grabbed the router and ten minutes later I was hot gluing it into a frame. I use it on my desk mostly for cameras and music control.

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

@lj502 - Is your Amazon tablet with "Offers" ? Does it ever interfere if it is with offers?

Comment

I have used both but it really only shows on the lock screen which is never shown on my wall mounts. The older units you could root but the newest you can't, you can still install the Play store and I change the launcher to Nova but that is not necessary. I have found the new Amazon tablets to be rock solid and run HSTouch perfectly (left my camera page running for over 24 hours and no problems). Once they are installed the user never see's anything but HSTouch, Orange Squeeze (Squeezebox controller), and TinyCamPro. They are all fullscreen so there is no home button or back button and no title bars. I use the Overlays app to show an HSTouch icon when the other apps are called from HSTouch so the user can just tap and return back to HST. I also setup tasks in Tasker for screen dimming and other things but then I use the Tasker App Factory to turn those tasks into actual apps that can be called straight from HSTouch, makes things easy to setup and maintain and I can just copy those apps to other tablets if I need to same function there.
                        Using the Fire HD10's now with built in Alexa and the are perfect, picked up a couple more for 99 bucks the other day, thats hard to beat.

John

Comment

I wish some local vendor would offer something like these in wall Android units. And maybe in a 10" version.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...79f0463aXS0B4K

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...3bd119c5ZcXim9

Comment

Check here, don't know about company, just saw this other day.

http://www.geekland.co/9-Android-PoE...let-GK-Q9S.htm

John

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
                              Check here, don't know about company, just saw this other day.

http://www.geekland.co/9-Android-PoE...let-GK-Q9S.htm

John
                              Thanks
                              I might take the plunge on a sample.

Comment

Working...
                              X