Sleep and Wake Screen on Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep and Wake Screen on Android

Is there any function to sleep and wake the screen on an Android Tablet?

I was using wakeup2.apk to wake the screen and screen off to power off the screen. But the wakeup2 is no longer available. Does HSTOUCH provides any functions for this

I`m using Screen Off to let the tablet sleep. Screen Off is started by HSTouch

Screen Off https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...jsvh.screenoff

As far as I know, Touch does not. I am using the Tasker program (with the Autoremote plugin) to turn the screen on or off. Homeseer sends a message to the tablet, Tasker then responds accordingly.

Turning off the screen with Tasker was easy (use the "System Lock" command). Turning it on was a little bit more difficult, I ended up just popping up a Tasker Menu for a couple of seconds, which will turn the screen on.

Comment

Originally posted by raymonvdm View Post
      Is there any function to sleep and wake the screen on an Android Tablet?

I was using wakeup2.apk to wake the screen and screen off to power off the screen. But the wakeup2 is no longer available. Does HSTOUCH provides any functions for this
      Install Secure Settings (https://android-zone.ws/topic/33947-...o-v136-proper/) on your device. It will appear in Tasker as a plugin and you can do a lot of other crazy things
      I for one utilize MQTT and have a client (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...clpro&hl=en_GB) act on received topics from HomeSeer to perform all sorts of magic.

I could go on and on until the sun comes out but let's keep it brief

Tip : While at it, check out AlarmPad Pro (https://a2zapk.com/22001-alarmpad-al...1-9-6-a2z.html). It too has a Tasker plugin. Now,.......................................................

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Raymonvdm,

I not sure if this will work for you, but I have it on several tablets (Fire Tablets), which I have wall mounted and plugged in all the time.
        This is an android app, so it should work for android tablets, not just a Fire tablet. It can be set to have a blank screen, or show the time, if so desired. It is in the google play store.

Bruce
        Always On AMOLED

Comment

HS can change the screen on any (or all) HSTouch tablet. I have a screen with a very dark image that I select when I want my tablet to "go to sleep".
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            HS can change the screen on any (or all) HSTouch tablet. I have a screen with a very dark image that I select when I want my tablet to "go to sleep".
            Unfortunately that will leave the backlight on. Which can be disturbing on a tablet in the bedroom. Which is why I like to turn the tablet off instead.

Turning it off is trivial. Turning it back on (automatically or by Homeseer command) takes more finesse.

Comment

Are there any issues with leaving a Fire HD tablet on 24/7? I know with OLEDs, plasma, etc, there was always the risk of burn-in.

I'm just getting started with HSTouch and am trying to figure out the best way to utilize the tablets. Should they be on all the time, or is it better to swipe to open (or some other method) to turn on the tablet when you want to control something. I plan on having inside and outside temps displayed on the main screen of my first project, and that info would be nice to view without having to swipe the tablet.

Comment

I use android tablets, not specifically Fire ones. I leave them on and displaying all the time. I thought that this would eventually fade the screens out, but after years it has not (not enough for me to notice anyway). What has happened on some of them is that the FLASH memory wore out. At least I think that's why some of them as the aged became more and more unstable till they corrupted to the point of not booting up anymore. Anyway, that does take a long time to happen and seems to be dependent on the brand and model. Some are still going strong from when I first started, and others failed in just a few years. Price does not seem to be much of a factor there. I have one really cheap one still going, and had one fairly expensive one fail after two or three years. Your mileage will vary...

Edit: The backlight LEDs will eventually fade, the LCD itself won't.

Comment

If you want to leave your tablets on all the time, you could try running a screen saver program that will help minimize burn in. I use the screen saver "Night and day Clock" (also referred to as simply "Night Clock"), that will pop on after a set number of minutes, and easily dismissed. The large numbers on the Night Clock display make a nice, visible clock, and the display is moved around the screen to prevent the burn in.

Comment

I have eight Android tablets in use and all defaulted to a Weather screen. After several years ON time, 24/7, I haven't seen the slightest problem with burn in.
                    That said,
                    hs.PluginFunction("HSTouch Server", "", "ClientAction", {89,"Android:Touch2",".01",""})
                    can be used to Dim the display where "89" is the function, "Touch2" is the name assigned to the pad, and ".01" is the selected Dim value.
                    Unfortunately, this too leaves the back light turned on.
                    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Is it necessary to access the buttons on the FireHD tablet while it is mounted on the wall? I'm looking at a couple of mounts, some of which allow access to the buttons, and some do not.

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
                        Is it necessary to access the buttons on the FireHD tablet while it is mounted on the wall? I'm looking at a couple of mounts, some of which allow access to the buttons, and some do not.
                        You would only need the buttons to change volume and if the tablet crashes. As far as day-to-day use of HSTouch, the buttons aren't used.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                          If you want to leave your tablets on all the time, you could try running a screen saver program that will help minimize burn in. I use the screen saver "Night and day Clock" (also referred to as simply "Night Clock"), that will pop on after a set number of minutes, and easily dismissed. The large numbers on the Night Clock display make a nice, visible clock, and the display is moved around the screen to prevent the burn in.
                          Is this an app, or something on the settings? I found an app called Night Clock, but it doesn't seem to function as a screen saver.

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post

Is this an app, or something on the settings? I found an app called Night Clock, but it doesn't seem to function as a screen saver.
                            In the play store, it is called "Day and night clock", written by Stefan Fruhner. After installation, you need to configure your Android screen saver settings, using Display -> Screen Saver.

Comment

Forgot to add: Android Screen Saver is a fairly recent Android implementation, and older tablets may not have it, or it may be only partially implemented.

On those tablets, I created a black default screen in HS Touch, with two very large black buttons. If I tap the left side (i.e the left button), the Night Clock is launched. If I tap the right side, HS Touch switches to my real Touch main screen.

Also remember if you want to use the screen saver, be sure to turn on the "keep display on when on AC power" developer option.

Comment

Working...
                              X