Tablet Choices For Wall Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tablet Choices For Wall Controllers

Is there any kind of consensus for android tablets to use on walls to run HSTouch? Brands, sizes, and best mounts? I have 5 rooms that currently use digital keypads over Cat5 to an RS-485 hub signalling an old X-10 computer(StarGate). I can therefore send power to these 5 standard junction boxes (no 110v there) to power the tablets. I would like to have mounts that are both attractive as well as easily adjustable for family member in wheel chair and then for me standing (6'6").
    I was surprised to see a number of past threads showing people using Amazon Fire tablets which run a limited version of Android but it seems they are workable. I am hoping the coming holiday seasons provide some "good buys" but I am relying on everyone's experiences up here to establish the optimal setup and perhaps avoid making mistakes, like picking a tablet that won't go completely dark during sleep hours. I have one extra location where I might go up in size and there is that problem in ratios to consider - it that really a big issue or is it easily overcome. And I am thinking of only using landscape rather than either portrait or "rotatable" mount configuration.
    Soooooo, who has found the BEST touchpad controls using android (sorry, no apple stuff in my life) and HSTouch? Willing to trade advice on Olympic/Paralympic Archery or pharmacy/nutrition which are my past and present expertises. I also would be grateful for any screen shots or photos of installations to help me (and others) to grasp the principles and methods.

I posted everything here : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-ready-clients

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Eman, thank you - I had not found that thread. The screens are very large! Not that it is bad but I have trepidations regarding size of tablets on the wall. I want to balance usefulness with less "ostentatious" or "big tech" or should I more honestly say, SWMBO has concerns which I dutifully respect since she is quite often right about these things. A lot hinges on the screens of buttons I create - buttons need to be slightly larger than a fingertips, right? Devices with multiple choices = more real estate of course. I SUSPECT that this is where multiple layers, nesting screens, help keep more features in less space?
      Each tablet will provide first access to local devices, second to exterior-to-that-room functions or less-accessed local needs, and tertiary functions on the next drill-down level or layer of HSTouch? (I am asking if I have guessed "close" on this?)
      Have you used say, 7 inch screens? Do you know if a screen you design for a 17" device will work on a 7" screen? I am guessing, NOT? So does it pay, is it more important, to design for the smallest denominator, or to simply set up a complete design for each separate tablet size?
      Here's what I am bound to replace eventually - a 12v digital keypad and the HUB it is powered by and controls it. Note that each switch of 6 buttons only requires 4 wires of the Cat5 cable, and supports dimming as well as on/off. Macros can also be triggered by a button. In the old days on a 32-bit platform, I could also design in the controlling software such as "if two taps within X seconds, then do some macro, if 6 taps within X seconds, do something different". From 24 years ago. <sigh> Unfortunately all the switches being controlled are X10. While I could add an X10 plugin, that's dead-end-to-me technology. Likewise I don't envision there is an interface between RS-485 hub and say, Homeseer 4 or Z-wave. And even if there was, I am committed to my home arriving in the 21st century. With your help. Thank you!Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201110_005214774.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1432215
      Click image for larger version

Name:	RS485.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1432216

Comment

I used Samsung tablets, but switched to Fire tablets of the 10* and 8" variety. I got several of them during Prime Day for cheap. I assume the same will be available on Black Friday.

I had to get my SWMBO's buy-in as well. The WAF was acceptable for these tablets.

As far as scaling: I use the same screen on any Android device and it has automatically scaled properly. Doesn't matter if it was a 12" Samsung, a 7" LG smart phone or anything in between. And that's exactly why I abandoned Crapple products - hated having to maintain different projects for different devices.

On any Android this screen, as an example, always looks just like this (just bigger or smaller):

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-09-23-13-41.png
Views:	811
Size:	891.6 KB
ID:	1432227

Comment

If you do dream of big things then this is a good place to start : https://www.glorystartouch.com/in-wall-touch-screen and here : https://www.archiexpo.com/architectu...een-39095.html

Boy! that thing is nice!

Name:	Touch.png
Views:	694
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1432302

Please note that I have not used those devices

Eman.

Comment

My old HP Touchpad 10" Android tablet is still running strong.
            I made a custom frame and the wire drops inside the wall to an outlet below.

If I were to ever replace it, I would use a Fire 10"

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	762
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	1432299
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I've personally found the Sibo POE tablets are the best available option at a reasonable price. A few photos and discussion here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...43#post1342243

7 and 10 inch models available, I've had them running for 2 years now with no issues (well, 1 was replaced under warranty, their customer service is great).

Comment

Originally posted by baudfather View Post
                I've personally found the Sibo POE tablets are the best available option at a reasonable price. A few photos and discussion here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...43#post1342243

7 and 10 inch models available, I've had them running for 2 years now with no issues (well, 1 was replaced under warranty, their customer service is great).
                Well, but did you notice he wants something to fit in the original space? I may be wrong................so I reserve judgement on that.

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
                  If you do dream of big things then this is a good place to start : https://www.glorystartouch.com/in-wall-touch-screen and here : https://www.archiexpo.com/architectu...een-39095.html

Boy! that thing is nice!

Name:	Touch.png
Views:	694
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1432302

Please note that I have not used those devices

Eman.
                  Android 7.1? Android 11 is current. There are tons of security issues in something that old.

Comment

wow. there are some great resources revealed. Really eye-opener stuff. Thank you. (really, Thank Y'all!)

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post

Android 7.1? Android 11 is current. There are tons of security issues in something that old.
                      I didn't want to reopen this beyond the OP's closing remarks but here goes :
                      Android has security issues if used as a phone or a tablet you take out with you plus playing games on it. Please also note, that device was designed for home automation and in some cases devices like the GrandStream and the Ubiquiti VOIP phones, Android is updated by the manufacturer when they push updates.

Eman.

Comment

Has anyone chosen to use larger cell phones, like say a Samsung Note 3XL, as a touchpad for HSTouch screens?

Comment

I haven't but I don't see why it couldn't work. You will just have to build your own frame as you probably won't find a commercial product. Those are mostly made for popular tablets by Apple, Samsung and Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by TexARC View Post
                            Has anyone chosen to use larger cell phones, like say a Samsung Note 3XL, as a touchpad for HSTouch screens?
                            There was a time when I used my LG V40 Thinq on my nightstand instead of a tablet. Not a large screen, only 6.4". It worked fine, but it was not ideal because of the screen size (and blurry eyes at night).

I ended up switching to an Amazon Fire HD8 tablet for the night stand.

As always, YMMV though

Comment

I use an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone as my device on my nightstand. Fortunately the screen proportion is the same as my tablets (Width/height - 1.6 to 1) so the display is not stretched (unlike my current Samsung Note 10+ which is slightly distorted when display HS Touch screens). I am concerned about running power to a lithium battery constantly, especially when I am not around, so I make sure to disconnect it when getting up.

Comment

Working...
                              X