HSTouch Android Screen stuck on app launched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTouch Android Screen stuck on app launched

Pls help as on my android hstouch project screen I have a clock and a ip camera. Once I launch a different program in the background and come back to hstouch then the clock and ip camera are stuck on the time before I switched to a different app. I have to close hstouch and relaunch it. It is happening on multiple android devices.

First you have make sure that all stay at home devices use the Local connection (WiFi or Ethernet) and if you designed your own screens make sure to add in options of close screens when navigating your projects (in other words every opened screen closes the ones before it) that way you don't so many of them opened although not visible...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Close Screens.png Views:	118 Size:	379.3 KB ID:	1507790

Else, if you run stock (default) screens then that has to be your WiFi being weak.
    Also avoid using so many user accounts if you don't any hide from your family. Then tweak the WiFi setting not to go to sleep and set fixed IPs.

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by paweljakalak View Post
      Once I launch a different program in the background and come back to hstouch then the clock and ip camera are stuck on the time before I switched to a different app. I have to close hstouch and relaunch it. It is happening on multiple android devices.
      If you eventually manage to improve the Android HSTouch behavior while switching applications (mobile/cell phone type usage), do let me know.

This seems to be a long standing design/optimization issue with the Android client (and possibly other platforms).
      When switching back and forth between applications, especially if it remains in background for a while, HStouch Android client generally takes forever to reconnect, will pop up some ridiculous reconnect window which always fails, or just plainly fail . Like you did, you have to force close it and restart (very, very, very low on the WAF....)

Since the initial loading of the client works 99% of the time, I've tried a number of ways (Via Tasker and others) to systematically stop the app when in background for too long so you could use the main icon to restart fresh but to no avail. Especially on unrooted devices.

Yes my design is probably more complex than the average, but hey it's 2021... I have dozens of applications on my cell phone and this is the *only* app that has such a high failure rate when switching apps.

However... on the positive side and based on my previous experiences, I still feel that it is the best solution for a customized and visually appealing interface to your home automation ecosystem. And am still recommending it.

From my perspective, unless some bug fixes or updates eventually come, the target use case for Hstouch at this point is mainly for wall mounted tablets running this single app as a portal or for very brief back and forth with sub applications. There, it does a good, if not great job.

While troubleshooting HStouch and for lack of discretionary time, I haven't yet tried Jon00 Tiles, Home assistant's Lovelace or "The home remote" which are on my "alternatives" list, (yes, based on 2yrs+ without updates, I am concerned about HS eventually dropping or phasing out the product...), but invested so much time and energy in HStouch that I don't think I'll ever make the switch... it would probably be a divorce case

Will try to open new bug reports via the portal in the coming weeks to try to stir this and encourage all to do so. Not overly confident on the results but worth a try.

Eman, all of your recommendations have been deployed so feel free to add if you have other leads.
      Have all a great weekend
      cheers!

Comment

what is weird is that if I upload my old ipad project onto an android then it works and doesnt get stuck. how weird is that. lol

Comment

Are you using a fixed IP address for your HS Touch Android clients? I almost daily launch You Tube and/or Pandora from HS Touch, and never have any problem going back to HS Touch when those apps terminate.

I use the IP Reservation feature of my router to assign the tablet's fixed IP address. And of course the Homeseer server is also on a fixed IP address.

Comment

Working...
          X