No announcement yet.

Optimal Fire Tablet for HSTouch client?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 16 screen HSTouch project that I run on a Windows 11 Surface Pro 7, a Microsoft Surface Duo, a Oneplus Nord N10, and an Amazon Fire HD 8. I have the Fire HD on a gooseneck stand in the media room and it works great. My only issue is that the unit goes to sleep when not plugged in and this forces me to close and restart the app. On the other hand, I have a long USB cable routed under furniture and to the Fire HD 8... but it is kinda clunky.

Comment

Originally posted by morrisdlx View Post
      My only issue is that the unit goes to sleep when not plugged in and this forces me to close and restart the app. On the other hand, I have a long USB cable routed under furniture and to the Fire HD 8... but it is kinda clunky.
      Solutions for keep awake on Android tablets have been discussed throughout these forums, here is one such thread, there are many others.
      Keep Fire tablet awake? - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
        I've adopted the same blocking as jgreenberg01 per his recommendation in another thread discussing when all of my Nook7 tablets got an update and ran out of memory. I purchased a couple refurbished Fire HD 10's from Woot a while back for $24.99 each. They had the ads and I paid the $15 each to remove. I used the "manage devices" method to remove the ads. BTW, it's $15 + tax. Basically, the same fee you would have paid if you bought it new. I'm looking at 3D printing a custom wall mount but so far nothing has met my wife's quality standards.
        Check out Makes by Mike Comprehensive Device Mounting Systems & Custom Mount Design | Makes by – Makes by Mike (mbmounts.com)​ for wall mounting. I have several Fire tablets mounted and powered using these products

Fire Tablet Mount

Comment

Originally posted by keepersg View Post

Check out Makes by Mike Comprehensive Device Mounting Systems & Custom Mount Design | Makes by – Makes by Mike (mbmounts.com)​ for wall mounting. I have several Fire tablets mounted and powered using these products

Fire Tablet Mount
          Thanks. I've already talked with them about a custom design. They use acrylic for the front bezel of their flush mount which is likely the way I'll go. The one I'm focused on right now is a for our kitchen. I'm not thrilled about having to ship them an 18" Samsung Galaxy View, but they have to have the tablet to ensure the accuracy of the mount. There's also additional framing in the wall for flush mount since this tablet is wider than the 14.5" stud spacing.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

It is sad to pay $35 for enclosure provided that the fire tablet itself costs about $70. Piece of plastic costs half of what all the complex electronics, cameras etc. plus fire tablet has its own plastic enclosure too. But it is what it is. Never argue with the markets. With this said I see only one opening that is for the camera in the picture above. How about the microphone(s) and the speakers. Does this enclosure (shown above) take care of mike and speakers. Any practical experience/feedback?
            Also did anyone try other sources for enclosures or 3D printing enclosures?

Comment

Originally posted by Thedude View Post
              It is sad to pay $35 for enclosure provided that the fire tablet itself costs about $70. Piece of plastic costs half of what all the complex electronics, cameras etc. plus fire tablet has its own plastic enclosure too. But it is what it is. Never argue with the markets. With this said I see only one opening that is for the camera in the picture above. How about the microphone(s) and the speakers. Does this enclosure (shown above) take care of mike and speakers. Any practical experience/feedback?
              I agree and what's worse I can pick up clearance Fire HD 10's for $25/each so that makes the mount more than the cost of the tablet. I've created several prototypes and none have met my wife's standards, except the one that made it next to impossible to remove and service the tablet.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Do you mind sharing where I can get Fire10HD @$25

Comment

Sure.

https://www.woot.com/plus/amazon-kin...ire-tablets-22

Comment

I also have the enclosures from Makes by Mike. I was considering just getting a 3D printer which I could use for other things. But there is also the cable to get power to the tablet (not such a big deal but somethin you still have to take care of). As for the opening, mine doesn't have one for the speaker. Just for the power button and the camera. Maybe newer designs have them.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

I also have the enclosures from Makes by Mike. I was considering just getting a 3D printer which I could use for other things. But there is also the cable to get power to the tablet (not such a big deal but somethin you still have to take care of). As for the opening, mine doesn't have one for the speaker. Just for the power button and the camera. Maybe newer designs have them.
                      If you order direct from Makes by Mike you can specify all the openings you like, Cheers!

Comment

Well, the cheap $25 fire 10 HD is not available anymore and it is for very old versions like 2017. Obviously you get what you pay. The question now is how to choose between the options below. As a reminder I will need 6 to 10 pieces so price is important but also important is the end result. I was wondering why active posters here lean towards Fire 10 HD. What's wrong with option 2. below. Your comments will be appreciated as well as other options than the 3 options listed below.

1. Buy Fire 10 HD (refurbished 2021 model) for about $80 and go trough the hassle of removing all bloat ware.
                        2. Buy new Android 11 "no name" 10" tablet for $65
                        3. Buy new Samsung 10" tablet for $150

Comment

2. Buy new Android 11 "no name" 10" tablet for $65
                          I tried a few of those. Some lasted longer than others, but eventually, all of them died with corrupt FLASH memory.

Comment

1. Buy Fire 10 HD (refurbished 2021 model) for about $80 and go trough the hassle of removing all bloat ware.
                            ​2. Buy new Android 11 "no name" 10" tablet for $65
                            3. Buy new Samsung 10" tablet for $150
                            ​It comes to processor specifications you get for the money. Those no name tablets usually have mediocre specs and you will never see an Android firmware upgrades/fixes.

If money is no object, then Samsung tablets are a good choice.

But FireHD tablets usually give you more specs for less dollars because Amazon thinks they will make it up on the backend through ads and getting folks to buy other products.

I recently picked up a brand new FireHD10 Plus (wireless charging) for $75 in December. FireHDs go a sale frequently, you just have to be patient and buy accordingly when they do.
                            Removing the bloatware is really not that difficult, download an app to your PC and click a few buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

​It comes to processor specifications you get for the money. Those no name tablets usually have mediocre specs and you will never see an Android firmware upgrades/fixes.
                              Yes we always pay more for more processing power and more memory. This is the big question actually. How much processing power and memory do I need to run one app only HSTouch Cllient. I do not expect specific numbers just overall experience with particular models. Based on the feedback so far I will avoid "no name" cheap tablets. Furthermore I do understand that Fire HD 10" is a good choice proven by fellow HS users. Unfortunately I don't see any new on sale now and price is steep at $150 for new and $80 for refurbished.

Comment

Yes we always pay more for more processing power and more memory. This is the big question actually. How much processing power and memory do I need to run one app only HSTouch Cllient.
                                From what I've been told and seen, not much memory. No reason to pay a premium for it (unless you intend to store something on else on it?).

The big deal is processor speed and getting snappy transitions between screens. I had a not so old FireHD7 tablet and even in its stock form, it lagged like hell so I didn't even attempt to use it for something else. I ended up reselling it back to Amazon for a $20 credit towards a better tablet like the FireHD10.

Comment

Working...
                                X