Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am on Raspberry Pi how to get my own HS3Touch screens served?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am on Raspberry Pi how to get my own HS3Touch screens served?

Hi,

I'm running my HS3 Pro system on the Raspberry pi for several years without much problems. Also used the HSTouch app on my iPhone for years on a row.

Now I like to start designing my own screens for a Samsung tablet that is laying around and use it as a wall control centre for the whole family. So I already tried the tablet with the default HStouch app and that works fine. Only thing is that only the default start screen of the app is user friendly, with some great graphics. But when going in the detail pages it is only text based and not so WAF and family friendly because of to many options showed. So it would be great to design my own pages.

But where to store / run these pages? As far as I now understand, the HS3Touch designer has to run on Windows to be able to design the pages. Ok Clear, I can do that on an laptop which lays around.
    But than when the pages are ready do I still need the laptop or can I have them on my Raspberry pi?
    Or do I still need a windows pc running 24/7 holding both the designer and the created files?

This part is not very clear to me. And before starting to build I want to think of a way to server the pages. The reason using the Rpi is that it is cheap, small, not using much energy and can be used headless. I used to have a Macmini in the past running a VM with Windows and HS2 butt hat used to much energy, very expensive and running 24/7 did not help extending the lifetime of the hard-disk which started to give problems after some years in use.

1. So if possible I would prefer to have everything on a Rasberry Pi (which now is a RPi3 B+). Is that possible? And how to get that running?
    2. Or do I need a pc running Windows to serve it?
    3. Any experience using tiny cheap fanless pc for this like "Wintel" or any others which are available for less than $100 ? And are the ones offered on Aliexpress worth buying?

Any advice / discussion / best practises / share your devices / would be great to get this any clearer. Thanks.

Not sure if pi would be a reliable HS3 system because of the use of SD card. If a HD is bothering you then a sd card surely will. I would considering running the pi with an ssd drive instead.

Comment

Originally posted by edwin2008 View Post
      Not sure if pi would be a reliable HS3 system because of the use of SD card. If a HD is bothering you then a sd card surely will. I would considering running the pi with an ssd drive instead.
      Hi. I can assure you the Pi is pretty reliable. Have been using a Rpi2 B for many years on a row. No problems with the sd card. And, in case it ever will. I make a daily backup of Homeseer and have the sd image backed up for easy restoring.

Comment

Originally posted by nl_user View Post
        But where to store / run these pages? As far as I now understand, the HS3Touch designer has to run on Windows to be able to design the pages. Ok Clear, I can do that on an laptop which lays around.
        But than when the pages are ready do I still need the laptop or can I have them on my Raspberry pi?
        Or do I still need a windows pc running 24/7 holding both the designer and the created files?
        You run the Designer on a windows PC to design your project then from Designer you Deploy the project to one or more Clients, in this case your Samsung tablet. Once deployed Designer can be closed, it doesn't need to be running to use the Client. The xml file for the project that you have deployed is stored on the Client (Samsung tablet) not on your HS3 server (Raspberry Pi). The HSTouch server is part of HS3 and will be running on your Pi but the project files are stored on the client.

If you can run the default project on your tablet then you should have no problems running a custom project.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

Hi,

I'm running my HS3 Pro system on the Raspberry pi for several years without much problems. Also used the HSTouch app on my iPhone for years on a row.

Now I like to start designing my own screens for a Samsung tablet that is laying around and use it as a wall control centre for the whole family. So I already tried the tablet with the default HStouch app and that works fine. Only thing is that only the default start screen of the app is user friendly, with some great graphics. But when going in the detail pages it is only text based and not so WAF and family friendly because of to many options showed. So it would be great to design my own pages.

This part is not very clear to me. And before starting to build I want to think of a way to server the pages. The reason using the Rpi is that it is cheap, small, not using much energy and can be used headless. I used to have a Macmini in the past running a VM with Windows and HS2 butt hat used to much energy, very expensive and running 24/7 did not help extending the lifetime of the hard-disk which started to give problems after some years in use.

1. So if possible I would prefer to have everything on a Rasberry Pi (which now is a RPi3 B+). Is that possible? And how to get that running?
          2. Or do I need a pc running Windows to serve it?
          3. Any experience using tiny cheap fanless pc for this like "Wintel" or any others which are available for less than $100 ? And are the ones offered on Aliexpress worth buying?

Any advice / discussion / best practises / share your devices / would be great to get this any clearer. Thanks.
          If you asking about your project files : =====> You use the designer on windows to create your projects (designs) then upload to the devices (Apple, Android,......etc) were they are sent with data and images. So the current default HStouch screens are replaced with your designs. HSTouch server on the raspberry pi then communicates with the clients to do whatever you want your HS3 to do or display. I missed out the part about : when you start the designer app on windows it asks to connect to the HomeSeer server, in your case it's the raspberry pi before you start designing. But when you finish uploading your designs to your clients then all you need is the HomeSeer server and the client.

Should you also feel the need to alter anything, you start your windows pc with the designer then make changes, upload then turn off the pc.

More about HSTouch here : https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...touch+designer

Eman.

TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Steve and Eman thanks for the clear instruction Great Now I (finally) understand how it goes it will be fun to start digging in and create some nice screens. Can I also use my own xml naming for the design? So instead of default.xml use tablet-livingroom.xml ?

Comment

Can I also use my own xml naming for the design? So instead of default.xml use tablet-livingroom.xml ?
              You name your projects however you like in Designer.

Steve

Comment

Ok thanks. Lets start

Comment

Working...
                X