Can You Sort Screens List?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Sort Screens List?

Is there a way to sort the Screens menu list in Designer? They seem to end up in order of creation and I sometimes have a hard time finding the one I'm looking for. It would be nice if they could be sorted alphabetically.

Thanks,
    Mike

Originally posted by Mike Johnson View Post
    Is there a way to sort the Screens menu list in Designer? They seem to end up in order of creation and I sometimes have a hard time finding the one I'm looking for. It would be nice if they could be sorted alphabetically.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Give your screens different names say, the master screen could be "John's Tech Project" (which is the startup screen and on it are the buttons which call upon the different screens when pressed) then "Room"names could be the sub-screens of the master screen but also under the "Rooms" you have the "Device" screens
    So in other words in the designer they just appear in the order they were created. ====> So if your home has 7 rooms...................................you get the picture! But you could also have other master screens like garden (for sprinklers) and maybe security (for cameras). Then there is ADMIN screen which should ask for a password! This is where you put data like logs and other things which are important to you but not the simple user like family and guests. This also keeps your project pleasing to the eye with less clutter!
    You can also have a master hidden screen which never shows but contains the behind the scenes event processing like when press a button on any given screen which in turn communicates with an element on that screen. ====> This helps a lot for scrap work and if you are not good at scripting! Remember it's out of view

Tip : Don't create screens (say for devices) separately in the designer to avoid clutter like you are experiencing now!
    For example put all mini screens (pop up screens) contained with in a given screen you are designing at the time. But you can also open multiple screens then copy any objects (elements) from one screen to another then edit their properties afterwords. The system automatically labels them as copies until you edit them with whatever you wish.

Summary : The screens are scaled down to a manageable number.

Hmm, I hope that helps

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

So in other words in the designer they just appear in the order they were created.
      I appreciate the detailed response and tips. Some interesting ideas. The part quoted above is the specific thing I'm asking about. Is there a way to sort the Screens list by name?

Mike

Comment

I appreciate the detailed response and tips. Some interesting ideas. The part quoted above is the specific thing I'm asking about. Is there a way to sort the Screens list by name?

Mike
        NO! That's why I took my time to try and make HSTouch Designer feel less boring. It's the results of your creation that would be interesting. You could also request the feature.

I hope that's the short answer.

Eman.

Comment

NO!
          Thank you for making that abundantly clear!

For example put all mini screens (pop up screens) contained with in a given screen you are designing at the time.
          Most of your suggestions I understand, some I've already done, but can you explain this one a little more?

Mike

Comment

Thank you for making that abundantly clear!

Most of your suggestions I understand, some I've already done, but can you explain this one a little more?

Mike
            Mini screens are ones you create say for your devices and are of a lesser size than the total screen size, so in HSTouch properties edit " show another screen top of this screen" Then if a particular one is selected acts as a pop up but also has all the elements of a normal screen. There indeed more actions to set of closing them behind as you move to the next screen so to keep whatever they are appearing to on look good. You can of course center them or locate them anywhere by setting their properties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160716_015203.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1293764

Name:	20160716_014918.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1293765

Eman.

Comment

The screens are displayed in the order that they are defined in the XML file for your project. Make a copy and then take a look at the xml file with a text editor
              HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
              Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
              Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Mini screens are ones you create say for your devices and are of a lesser size than the total screen size, so in HSTouch properties edit " show another screen top of this screen" Then if a particular one is selected acts as a pop up but also has all the elements of a normal screen. There indeed more actions to set of closing them behind as you move to the next screen so to keep whatever they are appearing to on look good. You can of course center them or locate them anywhere by setting their properties.

Name:	20160716_015203.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1293764

Name:	20160716_014918.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1293765

Eman.
                Got it. Interesting. I may have to try that...

BTW, nice screens you've created.

Thanks,
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
                  The screens are displayed in the order that they are defined in the XML file for your project. Make a copy and then take a look at the xml file with a text editor
                  Wow, that's a lot of data per screen. Rearranging them manually could certainly test one's patience.

Thanks,
                  Mike

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of data per screen. Rearranging them manually could certainly test one's patience.

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    Sure is. I've fat fingered it before and accidentally copy and pasted an entire screen instead of an element. The only way I could find to completely remove the extra screen was editing that XML.
                    HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
                    Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
                    Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Thanks,
                      Mike
                      Have you seen this : https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ . If you have gone that route then that can help you see beter text!

Eman.

Comment

Yes, I have that. Great tool. But I still think a sort button would be better!

Mike

Comment

Yes, I have that. Great tool. But I still think a sort button would be better!

Mike
                          Until HST updates the software, then a good lesson learned for someone starting fresh is to write down a project (notes) and layouts in the order one wants do to things.
                          I always sketch out drawings with notes (I think it's good practice) for each project especially with all things HomeSeer. But also other things like woodwork.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190320_182151.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	1293827

Eman.

Comment

Working...
                          X