Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSTouch Designer essentially unusable - Fixed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTouch Designer essentially unusable - Fixed!

Hello everyone,

I have been really excited to get some HSTouch tablets in my house, but there is one really annoying thing that is preventing me from completing this goal; HSTouch Designer crashes within minutes of starting. I have completely reinstalled my computer (not just because of this issue) so it's not the OS (Windows 10) or drivers, the experience goes something like this. I start the application, maybe get one or two elements on the screen and it stops responding, I end up having to hard stop the process. I would like to be able to make some interfaces, but I can't even get it to stay running for more than 3 min at a time.

Thoughts, tips or tricks would be very helpful.

Hobbit

You might want to contact homeseer support about this.

Comment

I've been using HSTouch for years and have never encountered a problem anything like what you are experiencing. I agree that you should contact HS support for assistance.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

You do not state what kind of Client tablet you are using. IOS, Android, or Windows?

Just a note for Android tablets: I found that they become much more stable if you assign the Android Tablet a fixed IP LAN Address. I use the IP Reservation function on my router (via the Tablet's MAC address) to accomplish this.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
          You do not state what kind of Client tablet you are using. IOS, Android, or Windows?

Just a note for Android tablets: I found that they become much more stable if you assign the Android Tablet a fixed IP LAN Address. I use the IP Reservation function on my router (via the Tablet's MAC address) to accomplish this.
          Sorry for the confusion , It's not the HSTouch application on any tablet that crashes (I wish I was even that far lol). It is the designer application on my Windows 10 computer that crashes.

Update on that though, I did take others suggestions and contacted HS Support, they provided me with a different executable to try and will post again once I have had a chance to play with it. Hopefully this will fix the issue for me, but thanks for the suggestions so far!

Comment

Any word back from support on this? I have the same problem, Designer crashes minutes after startup. If I can keep designer disconnected from the HS server it does not crash. But, I can't seem to keep designer disconnected. I've set it not to connect on start up yet it still does after a few minutes and hangs.

I installed designer on two different machines, both win 10 pro, same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bfuller01 View Post
              Any word back from support on this? I have the same problem, Designer crashes minutes after startup. If I can keep designer disconnected from the HS server it does not crash. But, I can't seem to keep designer disconnected. I've set it not to connect on start up yet it still does after a few minutes and hangs.

I installed designer on two different machines, both win 10 pro, same problem.
              The new executable Support gave me has been working well since then, seems to have solved the issue for me. Your issue seems somewhat different, however, considering your issue relates to the connection to your HS server and mine related to the actual application crashing.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you Hobbit. I've contacted support.

Interestingly If I start Designer with no project, then open a project it seems to stay running.

Comment

So, what I found out was that the HSTouch designer HAS to have access to the HA computer running HomeSeer. It checks the devices and things like that for the buttons. So if you are running HomeSeer on a computer (like my laptop -- I have not installed it yet at my home location) that gets a new Ip address from DHCP, then you have to update that address in the designer software. (Tools -> Connection) Defaults. HomeSeer has to be running and available. The designer does just stop working after about 5 seconds if this is not correct.
                  A computer's attention span is as long
                  as it's powercord.

Comment

It connects to the server and I get a green light but after 10 seconds it hangs when loading a project on start. If I don't load a project on start, it will connect and work fine.

Comment

It connects to the server and I get a green light but after 10 seconds it hangs when loading a project on start. If I don't load a project on start, it will connect and work fine.
                      Can you then open the project after if starts and still be OK?

Comment

Yes, after changing the setting to NOT load a project on start. Then after start, loading a project works. So I have a work around now.

Comment

Yes, after changing the setting to NOT load a project on start. Then after start, loading a project works. So I have a work around now.
                          After about 50 or so crashes, I tried the idea above. So far it works. Must load Designer first, then load a project. Buggy!!! Fix this. Not sure how long it will work before hanging AGAIN. It has been years since I have had to use task manager to kill so many many times.

Comment

Do you guys have connection info set in your project? Look under Tools > Project Defaults for "Connection information Override..." If so let us know as we are trying to figure out why this is crashing on some systems.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Same problem. Tried setting connection info in project -- does not fix.

All static IP addresses on same subnet.
                              Tried turning off firewall, still no fix.

HSTouch Designer on Windows 10 Version 1909; Homeseer: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548 (Linux)
                              Please fix or release HS4!

Comment

Working...
                              X