Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create keypad to turn on/off Alarm (vista)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create keypad to turn on/off Alarm (vista)

OK... definitely need a few starting pointers here.

W ant to create a numeric keypad that I can use to enable and disable my alarm. Something like the image below.

My guess is that I can create the 12 bottoms (easy), but then what? Store the numbers in a string in some way and then apply to alarm.

Afraid this might be above my head :-).

Guidance appreciated.
    Attached Files

Ah, that's next on my to-do-list so I am very much interested in this as well. It would be good to know what security system you have and what plugin. In my case I have a DSC 1864 with the HomeSeer DSC plugin using the IT-100 interface. So far I created an event for each of the buttons in HSTouch. When you click on the button the event is triggered. From there I am sending the keypress to the keypad via the plugin. It's a while ago when I did this.

Comment

See here for a description on how to add. It is already built in

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/le...ice-on-hstouch

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/le...erify-passcode

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailJ View Post

That's to put a passcode on an HSTouch screen. He is looking to unarm a security system. Sure you can passcode protect a screen and then when you get to the screen the security system is disarmed. But now you have to manage two pass codes, one for the screen and one for the security system. In my case, when an arm door/window is opened then a trigger and event that will pop up a screen on the HSTouch client with they keypad.

Comment

Yep, exactly. I have a tabbed system on all my tablets that is on full time.

when you click the Security tab, you'll get an image like below. The box on the right represents the alarm status (in this example "away").

I want to be able to punch in my alarm code from that keypad, and be given a choice of Arm-Stay, Arm-Away, and Disarm.

I have a Vista Alarm using that PI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-05-17 183913.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1386324

Comment

If I was doing this, I would probably do it in script. I would create a Global Variable, and when a keypad was pressed, append that digit to the contents of the global variable. Then when Done was pressed, just pass the global variable string to the alarm.

I would make the back arrow a clear button instead. Most alarms make you re-enter the entire code if a mistake is made.

I would also have a 15 second timer that is reset each time a keypad is pressed, that when the timer reaches 15 seconds, erases (clears) the Global Variable. Just adds a little extra security I think.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
              If I was doing this, I would probably do it in script. I would create a Global Variable, and when a keypad was pressed, append that digit to the contents of the global variable. Then when Done was pressed, just pass the global variable string to the alarm.

I would make the back arrow a clear button instead. Most alarms make you re-enter the entire code if a mistake is made.

I would also have a 15 second timer that is reset each time a keypad is pressed, that when the timer reaches 15 seconds, erases (clears) the Global Variable. Just adds a little extra security I think.
              That all sounds perfect... and is sadly above my paygrade, despite how long i've been doing this

Any chance you'd give a fella a few pointers?

Comment

Normally the Away icon is a button on your alarm status page, that open a selection page. Then you passcode the selection page. Any item selected on the alarm selection page also returns you to the alarm status page.

Tapping the Away button then brings up your choice of a passcode window, after entering passcode, you get the alarm selections page, choosing anything there, then takes you back to status page...

Very seemless

Comment

Originally posted by Miamijerry View Post
                  Normally the Away icon is a button on your alarm status page, that open a selection page. Then you passcode the selection page. Any item selected on the alarm selection page also returns you to the alarm status page.

Tapping the Away button then brings up your choice of a passcode window, after entering passcode, you get the alarm selections page, choosing anything there, then takes you back to status page...

Very seemless
                  HAHA... this is the bomb. thanks for the suggestion. Info here for others.
                  https://help.homeseer.com/help/HSTou...otect_a_screen

One issue i'm having is that when i put the code in, the numbers (or *'s) dont' appear in the text field on top. not sure how much that bothers me, but any ideas on how to do this?

Comment

You can look here to see how I did it for an entire keyboard.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...rd-for-hstouch

Comment

Very seemless
                      so i can't seem to get this to work now. Funny how when i start playing with something, it stops working :-)

I have a button that calls up a new screen (arm/disarm alarm). That page is password protected.
                      I have a screen called "passcode" per the directions... used the android one in the custom folder.
                      When I click on the button, it brings up the passcode screen.... and i'll input the passcode in (per another thread, nothing shows up in the text element on the keypad - troubleshooting that on another thread...)

BUT... after i put the passcode in and hit enter, i just go back to the original screen. the Arm/disarm screen doesn't come up.

If i remove the passcode (and the passcode screen), the button brings up the arm/disarm screen perfectly.

Any ideas?

Comment

So you have a password protected screen that is supposed to bring you to a screen to enter the security system's password? Maybe I misunderstand this but do you have to enter two passwords to disarm the security system? How about when the front/garage door opens you automatically pull up a screen to enter the security systems password? That's how a true keypad works, i.e. it's always there when you need to punch in your security code.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                          So you have a password protected screen that is supposed to bring you to a screen to enter the security system's password? Maybe I misunderstand this but do you have to enter two passwords to disarm the security system? How about when the front/garage door opens you automatically pull up a screen to enter the security systems password? That's how a true keypad works, i.e. it's always there when you need to punch in your security code.
                          it's a little different, but pretty much how i did it in Imperihome as well. this actually gives a decent explanation for once:

so quick answer, no, the keypad is not always there. you have to invoke an action (in this case go to the page where you want to amr/disarm the alarm... and passcode protect that page. A keypad is supposed to come up first... type in number, page is revealed.

EDIT/ADD: since the passcode screen is smaller, it does come over the current screen, which is a nice effect. (IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

HAHA... this is the bomb. thanks for the suggestion. Info here for others.

One issue i'm having is that when i put the code in, the numbers (or *'s) dont' appear in the text field on top. not sure how much that bothers me, but any ideas on how to do this?
                            Yes, numbers do not appear, this is a known issue. Not a big problem...

Directions;
                            1) Create the button to "Alarm selection page", this button should be on "Alarm status page". do not add a passcode page.
                            2) Verify operation, button takes you to "Selection page" and any selection takes you back to "Status page" (Should also be part of step one)
                            3) Now add a passcode number to the "Selection page", not a passcode page. Next you should get a pop up telling you that a passcode page has been added. Note! Only the automatically added passcode page worked for me. Too small, but not a big deal...

Comment

Yes, numbers do not appear, this is a known issue. Not a big problem...

Directions;
                              1) Create the button to "Alarm selection page", should be on "Alarm status page". do not add a passcode page.
                              2) Verify operation, button takes you to "Selection page" and any selection takes you back to "Status page" (Should also be part of step one)
                              3) Now add a passcode number to the "Selection page", not a passcode page. Next you should get a pop up telling you that a passcode page has been added. Note! Only the automatically added page worked for me. Too small, but not a big deal...
                              Thanks... i totally get it.... exactly what i did. The pop up even comes, and pulls the last element i used (e.g. android vs. default in Custom), but still doesn't work.

agree no biggie on not seeing numbers. heck, i'll remove the text element if i can once i get this working

One question... on #2, is there a setting to make sure it takes me back to the original Status Page?

Comment

Working...
                              X