Different Clients Controlling Different Chromecasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Clients Controlling Different Chromecasts

I have a bunch of Chromecast devices that I want to control from HSTouch. My first implementation (not finished yet) allows me to select one of those Chromecast devices. I then copy the status of that particular Chromecast into a virtual device for title, a virtual device for artist, etc. It just occurred to me that this wasn't a smart way to do this. The problem is that now each HSTouch client shows the same Chromecast device. However, each client controls a different Chromecast and I don't know in advance which client controls which Chromecast. I could have multiple Audio devices, one for each Chromecast and then simply show the screen corresponding with the selected Chromecast device. But I have 8 Chromecast devices, not counting the AVR and TVs. I really don't feel like creating and managing that many screens. Is there another way to accomplish this?

Are you aware of the zipcode trick used to identify which tablet is making the request to the HS server? It will require a tiny bit of scripting, but works great.

Comment

I have read about this but I am not sure how that would help for my scenario. My music screen will show different music information depending on what Chromecast was selected on that client. It might work if I have separate Title, Artist, Album, etc virtual devices for each client but then each time I have a new client (like a visitor) I would have to create a new virtual devices. Maybe I am missing something but I don't quite see how I could get this working with this trick.

Btw, I do think that client name information should be accessible from HS events.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        Btw, I do think that client name information should be accessible from HS events.
        Homeseer has not given much love to HS Touch for a long time. My suspicion is that it still will not be worked on for some time, maybe even more than a year. So we have to be creative with what we have available now. Which is not to say that we should not be making new feature suggestions, as they will need to know what is asked for when they do get around to upgrading HS Touch. Just do not expect anything soon.

By using virtual switches and some creative scripting you probably can accomplish what you want. But will require some extensive scripting though. With the zipcode trick, your script will at least know which client is doing what, and can accommodate that specific client.

Comment

Working...
        X