Image Cache Not Clearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Cache Not Clearing

When I modify an image used in a Button element in HSTouch Designer (Windows 10, V3.0.80 and many previous versions) by simply writing over the old file with a new image, the image does not update in Designer nor in iOS devices. I've tried closing down and reopening Designer, closing and reopening the iOS app, and shutting down and restarting the iOS device. None of these steps will clear the cached images.

I found the image cache folder in Designer (\My HSTouch Projects\Skins\cache\images\) and when I clear that folder, the images update properly in Designer.

However, they still do not update properly when the project is deployed to my iOS devices. The only way I've gotten them to update on an iOS device is to uninstall and reinstall the iOS HSTouch app.

This is not a new problem as I've been battling it for several years. It was touched on in the following thread regarding a slightly different issue, but it appears the root cause is the same: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ge-caching-bug.

rjh touched on a possible solution relative to the iOS app, but if it is indeed currently implemented, it does not seem to be working properly.

Originally posted by rjh View Post

One thing I will check is that when you start up the app it is suppose to be flushing the cached images, so I don't see how you are getting very old images.
    In a nutshell, it seems two things might help:
    1. Have Designer clear its own cache upon opening a project or some similar action, or allow manual clearing of the cache with a menu item or toolbar button.
    2. When a project deploys from Designer, clear the cache in the IOS device, or allow manual clearing of the cache, either via the Deployment Options popup, or in the iOS Settings.
    Are there any known workarounds? Is there any chance the above suggestions might be able to be implemented, or fixed if they are already present?

Thank you,
    Mike

We are working on some updates for HSTouch and I will make sure this gets addressed.

On thing you can try is to set the "IsVideo" property on the image. I believe that may ensure it fetches the new image.

Originally posted by Mike Johnson View Post
    When I modify an image used in a Button element in HSTouch Designer (Windows 10, V3.0.80 and many previous versions) by simply writing over the old file with a new image, the image does not update in Designer nor in iOS devices. I've tried closing down and reopening Designer, closing and reopening the iOS app, and shutting down and restarting the iOS device. None of these steps will clear the cached images.

I found the image cache folder in Designer (\My HSTouch Projects\Skins\cache\images\) and when I clear that folder, the images update properly in Designer.

However, they still do not update properly when the project is deployed to my iOS devices. The only way I've gotten them to update on an iOS device is to uninstall and reinstall the iOS HSTouch app.

This is not a new problem as I've been battling it for several years. It was touched on in the following thread regarding a slightly different issue, but it appears the root cause is the same: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ge-caching-bug.

rjh touched on a possible solution relative to the iOS app, but if it is indeed currently implemented, it does not seem to be working properly.

In a nutshell, it seems two things might help:
    1. Have Designer clear its own cache upon opening a project or some similar action, or allow manual clearing of the cache with a menu item or toolbar button.
    2. When a project deploys from Designer, clear the cache in the IOS device, or allow manual clearing of the cache, either via the Deployment Options popup, or in the iOS Settings.
    Are there any known workarounds? Is there any chance the above suggestions might be able to be implemented, or fixed if they are already present?

Thank you,
    Mike
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

We are working on some updates for HSTouch and I will make sure this gets addressed.

On thing you can try is to set the "IsVideo" property on the image. I believe that may ensure it fetches the new image.
      Great, I appreciate you taking a look at it.

I did see some suggestions regarding the IsVideo property as a workaround, but, unfortunately, I'm using the Button element and the IsVideo property is not present for that element.

Thanks,
      Mike

Comment

You should be able to use the image element as a button, it supports detecting presses.

Originally posted by Mike Johnson View Post

Great, I appreciate you taking a look at it.

I did see some suggestions regarding the IsVideo property as a workaround, but, unfortunately, I'm using the Button element and the IsVideo property is not present for that element.

Thanks,
        Mike
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have a similar problem on Android tablets. If I have an icon with the same name, but in different directories, the client will often get confused and show the wrong one.

I have been in the habit of renaming the icon file with a new name when I replace it (i.e "Blue.png" to "Blue1.png").

Comment

You should be able to use the image element as a button, it supports detecting presses.
            Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't see the Actions options on the Image element because IgnorePresses was set to True. I see now that changing IgnorePresses to False reveals the Actions Options.

Thanks,
            Mike

Comment

Hi rjh, this caught my attention:

We are working on some updates for HSTouch
              and sounds like great news

Anything you can share at this point; fixes/improvements/timeline ?
              Hopefully some bugs & improvements already identifed made their way into the upcoming updates (mine or others' ) :

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...72#post1407172

Keep us posted as I'm sure a number of us would be glad to see a long awaited update,

cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X