Plugins with HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugins with HS4

So not realizing it I’ve been recently purchasing plugins for hs3 not knowing there is a chance I will need to purchase the same plugins again for hs4?

is this correct?

Its been said that HS3 Plugins will work with HS4.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Except...

HomeSeer: HS3 plugins will continue to work, albeit obviously not fully support HS4 functionality until rewritten.
      Also HomeSeer: Developers would be silly to not maintain both HS3 and HS4 versions.
      Developers - HS4 is quite different - probably not going to do any further maintenance or improvements on HS3 version, only HS4 going forward.

Thus a plugin purchase right now is a dead-end purchase. There are a few I'd love to buy right now but refuse to waste my money doing so, have uninstalled them and waiting for HS4 versions.

What would be really smart actually is if developers right now published a second version of their existing plugins - both the same but one called (HS3) and the other (Future HS4). I would then happily buy the "(Future HS4)" version knowing that I've just paid for the one that, although right now it is still a HS3 plugin, I have paid for the one that will be upgraded. Then I haven't wasted my money AND the developer gets cashflow right NOW that helps fund their redevelopment efforts.

Just a thought as otherwise from my viewpoint the plugin market is officially a nuclear wasteland right now and HS have specifically said they don't see the problem, so maybe developers could take matters into their own hands with the above?

To directly answer your question mik3, yes developers have been saying they will charge a repurchase (or if HS implement an upgrade option, which presently does not exist, an upgrade fee) for the HS4 version so if you have just purchased a HS3 version then you are already now going to have to pay again

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
        Except...

HomeSeer: HS3 plugins will continue to work, albeit obviously not fully support HS4 functionality until rewritten.
        Also HomeSeer: Developers would be silly to not maintain both HS3 and HS4 versions.
        Developers - HS4 is quite different - probably not going to do any further maintenance or improvements on HS3 version, only HS4 going forward.

Thus a plugin purchase right now is a dead-end purchase. There are a few I'd love to buy right now but refuse to waste my money doing so, have uninstalled them and waiting for HS4 versions.

What would be really smart actually is if developers right now published a second version of their existing plugins - both the same but one called (HS3) and the other (Future HS4). I would then happily buy the "(Future HS4)" version knowing that I've just paid for the one that, although right now it is still a HS3 plugin, I have paid for the one that will be upgraded. Then I haven't wasted my money AND the developer gets cashflow right NOW that helps fund their redevelopment efforts.

Just a thought as otherwise from my viewpoint the plugin market is officially a nuclear wasteland right now and HS have specifically said they don't see the problem, so maybe developers could take matters into their own hands with the above?

To directly answer your question mik3, yes developers have been saying they will charge a repurchase (or if HS implement an upgrade option, which presently does not exist, an upgrade fee) for the HS4 version so if you have just purchased a HS3 version then you are already now going to have to pay again
        That blows.

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
          ...To directly answer your question mik3, yes developers have been saying they will charge a repurchase (or if HS implement an upgrade option, which presently does not exist, an upgrade fee) for the HS4 version so if you have just purchased a HS3 version then you are already now going to have to pay again
          Originally posted by mik3y View Post
          That blows.
          I can't speak directly for PI developers.I choose to believe that most developers would (in your particular situation) work with you on some sort of fair compromise.

Comment

The same thing happened when we went from HS2 to HS3. Some plugin authors decided not to upgrade. Some did and did not charge. Some did what is described above, which is essentially set a cut off date after which new purchases of HS3 versions include a free upgrade. Some charged a small fee. Some charged for a new plugin. It is all up to the plugin authors. Some of the best plugins out there are free with a donation request.

Comment

I agree with Bill that there is considerable variability in approach. When going from HS1 to HS2 I was able to get HS2 license codes from HST for my plugins and then I could give existing plugin holders a HS2 license. For HS2 to HS3 HST did not give me this freedom nor did it appear they wanted to be in the business end of 3rd party plugin upgrades when this was setup for HS3 so the only option available was a new purchase from their store. My intention is not to charge for upgrade of a plugin that I want to support with the HS4 UI.

I feel that the few developers who are vocal now are the minority and view plugin development as a business ROI rather than a hobby where the ROI is just from helping others who share a common interest.

Comment

I reckon a lot more attention to Linux compatability will need to be paid this time round. Linux plays a large part in the home automation world since the arrival of the single board computer

Comment

Working...
                X