windows version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows version

Please allow HS4 to run as a windows service, the current method to autostart is very cumbersome and not secure (need to auto log on).

thanks

Simon

Originally posted by simon@qic.ca View Post
    Please allow HS4 to run as a windows service, the current method to autostart is very cumbersome and not secure (need to auto log on).

thanks

Simon
    There have been numerous discussions on this topic. In my opinion and based on those discussions it is probably not going to happen.

Comment

I would vote for it!

Comment

I used HS2 as a service for Windows 2003 Standard server...in the beginning of HS2. It was part of the original HS1 GUI.

After a bit adding Homeseer side mounted apps it became a headache and a PITA to manage.

Recently have installed two instances of HS3 on Windows 2016 Standard server.

I have mentioned to the Windows 2016 / HS3 users more than once NOT to use the server as a desktop or for surfing the Web. (well like every day since installation).

That said HS3 is starting via R2 Start up application and doing well this way and I want to see it on the utilized desktop when starting.

RDP works great as it connects via a console session. I am doing similiar here with a non HS3 Windows 2016 server today for just running stuff like Homeseer Designer, UPB Upstart, HAI PCA, HAI touchscreen designer. I have not had any issues with the box now for over 6 months.

For the current HS3 Pro server running Ubuntu 18.04 and Oracle Windows 7E VBs I do utilize RDP to get to the VBs but rarely touch them. I rarely utilize the Ubuntu desktop for any maintenance on these computers as I SSH to update most of the time and SFTP Linux file manager to move stuff around or backup HS3 / Docker files / HA files.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

There is an open source project to help programmers create a service in windows.
          It is called TopShelf (http://topshelf-project.com/) It is an Nuget package for visual studio.
          Don't know if the HomeSeer staff would want to use it or not, but wanted to share.
          A computer's attention span is as long
          as it's powercord.

Comment

If it were so easy to make HS3 or 4 run as a service I imagine HomeSeer would have done this by now. Ideally running HS as a service it the best solution. I run HS on Linux and run HS as a service. It works great. I am not a Windows developer so I don't know what it takes to make this happen.

Comment

You don't need to have an account auto login to automate startup of homeseer with windows. You can create a Windows task have it run trigger on 'At startup' and set to run when user is logged on or not.

I have been running this way for years now on windows.

Comment

Isn't there a video on auto start for Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by metkhoo View Post
                  Isn't there a video on auto start for Windows?
                  In this video Mark outlines the reasons behind not running as a service and how to set up a task to start HSX.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mmLKPrmXU
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

In this video Mark outlines the reasons behind not running as a service and how to set up a task to start HSX.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mmLKPrmXU
                    Thats the one

Comment

You can create a service from an executable.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...rom-executable

Br,
                      Dali

Comment

Working...
                      X