Categories vs Location 1 & 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Categories vs Location 1 & 2

In HS3, I was using Location 1 as "Type" (motion sensor, light, occupancy etc), and Location 2 as "Area" (essentially just rooms). With the introduction of Categories in HS4, I'm curious if a little device reorganization might be useful. Just curious how folks are currently using Location 1 and 2, and how you all might approach incorporating Categories.

Seems like a lot of people use one location as floor and the second location as room. For me, my second floor is so small, that it doesn't really give me a benefit to separate by floor. I only have one guest room, only one office and one guest bathroom ... which is the second floor in its entirety, so easier to ignore floor.

I guess I can check this myself, but does anyone know if categories have any impact on voice commands? It doesn't seem like it does, but I haven't verified that.

Since we can apply multiple categories to each device, it's a pretty flexible option. But it does require a little planning to make it consistent in your specific setup, which is really the only way to make it useful.

Just curious what everyone is doing/thinking.
Working...
X