Thinking of switching to Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of switching to Linux

So I have HS4 running on Windows since the beta release. No real problems other than the beta problems but I'm thinking of minimizing some pc's and going with another VM.
    Been playing with it on a Pi4 and can't get the startup/shutdown working yet but more important is getting my whole config moved over.
    Apparently HS4 can't export the config yet, wish I knew that, so now I'm wondering what are my options??
    I still have the HS3 folder but uninstalled HS3.
    Can I copy the folder into the linux folder? What exactly do I need to copy?
    Any other way of doing it?

Originally posted by Demusman View Post
    So I have HS4 running on Windows since the beta release. No real problems other than the beta problems but I'm thinking of minimizing some pc's and going with another VM.
    Been playing with it on a Pi4 and can't get the startup/shutdown working yet but more important is getting my whole config moved over.
    Apparently HS4 can't export the config yet, wish I knew that, so now I'm wondering what are my options??
    I'm pretty certain you need the config and plugins copied over.

Other then that, it should just be a matter of launching ./go assuming you're not missing any libraries/dependencies.

Give me a few, I'll see if I can do this so I can guide you.

Comment

Thanks.
      Just so you know, I have HS4 running so don't write a long guide on doing that unless you want to .
      Just trying to save you some trouble.

Comment

Okay got it to work.

You will need to verify everything afterwards. ( May need to re-register your license ). Searching for legacy plugins wasn't showing anything.

- copy over your config and data directory and overwrite whatever pops up.
        - copy over the root contents of all your plugins and plugin .config files including and I'm not sure necessary the HS4.exe files.

Then run ./go

Comment

Unless you know Linux well and the problems associated with Mono and how to address those issues I do not recommend you running HS on Linux with Mono. You will have more problems with plugins running on Linux than you will on Windows and you'll get less support because 9 out of 10 times it's a Mono issue so the fix is dependent on the Mono teams to fix their problems.

Comment

Originally posted by simplextech View Post
            Unless you know Linux well and the problems associated with Mono and how to address those issues I do not recommend you running HS on Linux with Mono. You will have more problems with plugins running on Linux than you will on Windows and you'll get less support because 9 out of 10 times it's a Mono issue so the fix is dependent on the Mono teams to fix their problems.
            This is something to keep in mind.

I'm personally a linux person and understand it pretty well.

Comment

Looking pretty good so far. I copied over the html and scripts folders too.
              Can't get the auto startup/shutdown working yet but I'll play with it later

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Looking pretty good so far. I copied over the html and scripts folders too.
                Can't get the auto startup/shutdown working yet but I'll play with it later

Thanks for the help!
                You're going to have to setup a service under systemd. See below. This should help.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-using-systemd

Comment

Got everything working. One thing I notice, installing plugins causes the system to restart, is that normal for Linux installs?
                  Doesn't seem logical and not sure if it's a beta issue.

Comment

Got everything working. One thing I notice, installing plugins causes the system to restart, is that normal for Linux installs?
                    Not for HS3, can't vouch for HS4 - seems a step backward if that is intentional, but might be a limitation of backwards compatibility with HS3 plugins?

Comment

That's not normal and is a big problem.

Comment

macromark Is this a known beta bug?

Comment

On another note, can anyone help with a script?

Code:
                          Sub MuteTog (ByVal Parms() As String)   
                              Dim theZone As Double = parms(0)
                              Dim curVol As Double = hs.DeviceValueEx(theZone)
                              Dim lastVol As String
                                      if curVol > 0 then
                                          hs.CreateVar("volSet")
                                          lastVol = hs.SaveVar("volSet",curVol)
                                          Dim cc as HomeSeerAPI.CAPI.CAPIControl = hs.CAPIGetSingleControl(theZone, True, "(value)", False, False)
                                          cc.ControlValue = 0
                                          Dim cr as HomeSeerAPI.CAPI.CAPIControlResponse = hs.CAPIControlHandler(cc)
                                      Elseif curVol = 0 then
                                          lastVol = hs.GetVar("volSet")
                                          Dim cc as HomeSeerAPI.CAPI.CAPIControl = hs.CAPIGetSingleControl(theZone, True, "(value)", False, False)
                                          cc.ControlValue = lastVol
                                          Dim cr as HomeSeerAPI.CAPI.CAPIControlResponse = hs.CAPIControlHandler(cc)
                                          hs.DeleteVar("volSet")
                                      End if
                          End Sub
                          Getting End of Statement Expected.

Comment

macromark Anything? 3 posts previous. Any comment on it?

Comment

Demusman I am new to both HS and am relearning Linux so I suspect user error whenever anything goes wrong and because of that have held back reporting what I think are issues. I have seen the behavior after plugin installation that you reported above. Initially I thought that a plugin install resulted in a hang but since then I've been able to get HS4 to respond but I have not been able to get it to behave properly without rebooting the VM that I have HS4 running in.

Comment

Working...
                              X