Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Associate Virtual Device as a child to a parent of a Z-Wave device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Associate Virtual Device as a child to a parent of a Z-Wave device?

I'm fairly new to HomeSeer still unfortunately, so my apologies if this is a simple question.. I am trying to figure out how I can make a virtual device a child of a Z-Wave parent device? Basically I'm trying to make an Armed/Disarmed switch for each of my security devices, but cannot seem to figure out a way of doing this.

In HS4 there are no longer parent and child devices. HomeSeer have changed HS4 so that there is a device and the device has features. Basically what was a child device is now called a feature. I don't think there was an easy way to do this in HS3 nor is there a way to easily do it in HS4.

Comment

It can be done... with jon00 grouping package .. but would not recomend.

Comment

Sorry for reopening a now older thread.. I'm still struggling with this a bit however, as it seems from what I can tell, that this is possible, I may just not be explaining myself well enough.. I'm running HS4 but using the old deviceutility page, you can see how these parent/child devices are configured such that they show up together:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (64).png
Views:	528
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1401398

717 is the parent, where 386 and 675 are the children. I'd like to be able to configure 797 such that is is a child under 717 as well now. Here is what the advanced status page looks like of the parent/child:

Name:	Screenshot (66).png
Views:	562
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1401397Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (65).png
Views:	528
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1401396

Here is the unassociated device I'd like to add. Is there really no way to edit 717, such that the list of associated devices includes 797? And is there then also no way to edit 797, such that the Relationship Status is set to Child, and the Associated Devices set to 717?

Name:	Screenshot (67).png
Views:	524
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1401399
        Attached Files

Comment

Bump. There has to be a way to create a new virtual device, and associate it as a child ("feature") of an existing parent.. See screenshots just above..

Comment

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...r-3-homeseer-4

But be careful. It is not recommended to add device to devices that are already part of a plugin (In this case (zwave plugin).

Comment

Originally posted by ee21 View Post
              Bump. There has to be a way to create a new virtual device, and associate it as a child ("feature") of an existing parent.. See screenshots just above..
              Yes it can be done, I've done it multiple times. You use the Jon00 Device Grouping Utility as others have recommended above.

Comment

Agree, I've done this with loads of devices and it makes the grid view pretty nice. I typically take the real Z-Wave actor (e.g. the switch) and make stuff I'm interested in (battery level, power, temperature) child devices of that.

Everything I'm not interested in I leave as children of the Z-Wave root, which I then hide.

Also I have a bunch of automation controlling virtual devices; the actual switches are children of this, along with anything interesting related.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	500
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1413758

Comment

Thanks all, the Jon00 utility is what I'm looking for it seems like.. Just kinda seems like there should be a way to do this in HS4 itself.

Comment

Thanks all, the Jon00 utility is what I'm looking for it seems like.. Just kinda seems like there should be a way to do this in HS4 itself.
                    If HS could do everything Jon can do or think of doing, then what would Jon do??
                    HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
                    Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
                    Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
                    Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
                    Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
                    Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
                    Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

Originally posted by rge View Post
                      Agree, I've done this with loads of devices and it makes the grid view pretty nice. I typically take the real Z-Wave actor (e.g. the switch) and make stuff I'm interested in (battery level, power, temperature) child devices of that.

Everything I'm not interested in I leave as children of the Z-Wave root, which I then hide.

Also I have a bunch of automation controlling virtual devices; the actual switches are children of this, along with anything interesting related.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	500
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1413758
                      Random off-topic question, sorry, but is that HomeSeer Mobile you are looking at in your sceenshot, and if so, how do you get the secondary devices to show their status like that without tapping on the icons? This is all I get:

Comment

Random off-topic question, sorry, but is that HomeSeer Mobile you are looking at in your sceenshot, and if so, how do you get the secondary devices to show their status like that without tapping on the icons? This is all I get:
                        Yes that's a bit of a hack. For some reason HS decided to only display the details if the suffix is % or the built in @S@ 🙄. They also completely mess up the parent/child relationships in the grid view (but not the list view) for no good reason I can see 😤.

To get it to work edit html/devices.html as follows:

{{devices_local = (devices sort_mode_current true)}}

changed to last parameter false:

{{devices_local = (devices sort_mode_current false)}}

Remove the condition around:

{{ if d.status_suffix=='%' || d.status_suffix=='@S@' }}
                        {{ d.status }}
                        {{ end }}

changed to just

{{ d.status }}

and the same a little lower for c.status.

Comment

Originally posted by rge View Post

Yes that's a bit of a hack. For some reason HS decided to only display the details if the suffix is % or the built in @S@ 🙄. They also completely mess up the parent/child relationships in the grid view (but not the list view) for no good reason I can see 😤.

To get it to work edit html/devices.html as follows:

{{devices_local = (devices sort_mode_current true)}}

changed to last parameter false:

{{devices_local = (devices sort_mode_current false)}}

Remove the condition around:

{{ if d.status_suffix=='%' || d.status_suffix=='@S@' }}
                          {{ d.status }}
                          {{ end }}

changed to just

{{ d.status }}

and the same a little lower for c.status.
                          That unfortunately didn't seem to have any effect, I made sure to restart HS4 after making the edits obviously. I attached my devices.html in case I maybe edited it incorrectly. (renamed to .txt to allow for upload)
                          Attached Files

Comment

The html looks ok to me. Try refreshing the page - sometimes it seems to take a while to catch up, some sort of caching.

To really confirm it's picking up your change, temporarily put this instead and see if an X appears everywhere.

X {{ c.status }}

Comment

For Firefox & Chrome try Shift + Reload page...
                              HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
                              Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
                              Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
                              Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
                              Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
                              Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
                              Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

Working...
                              X