HS4 in Docker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 in Docker?

Just Curious - has anyone played around with HS4 in a docker containter?

I think you can try this if you use linux https://github.com/marthoc/docker-homeseer ssorry just read you searched for hs4... https://hub.docker.com/r/e1ite/docker-homeseer4

Comment

I happened to make one based on marthocs yesterday if folks want me to publish it?
      It has 4.0.4.0 in it and the right mono build.
      Meh will push it now for any that want it https://hub.docker.com/r/scyto/docker-homeseer4beta

If i end up using HS i will like do multiarch build, maybe even a windows container too!

Comment

I've also been running in docker (only place I ever ran it) - I did run into some bizarre implementation where homeseer tries to launch a browser at first install to register the license and such, and until you fill that out the root page just returns an error with no explanation. Hopefully they realize this isn't the right solution for headless servers and instead they do a redirect from `/` to `/register.html` when that step is required. In the meantime you can browse to the registration page manually.

Comment

Originally posted by scyto View Post
          If i end up using HS i will like do multiarch build, maybe even a windows container too!
          You may want to check my post on the attempts to run HS3 in a windows container. Bottom line, didn't work. From the looks of HS4 it will have the same issues.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...82#post1119482

Comment

Originally posted by HTGeek View Post

You may want to check my post on the attempts to run HS3 in a windows container. Bottom line, didn't work. From the looks of HS4 it will have the same issues.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...82#post1119482
            thanks that saved me a lot of potential heartache - i do wish all these windows .net devs would move over to .net core and treat it the same.

Comment

Can HS4 run as a service instead of through a Terminal window?

Comment

Yes but you’ll have some limitations after. I do not remember them i am on linux now. A search on the forum may be what you need

Comment

I got docker installed in VMware photon.. I have no clue wth im doing!!! LOL.. did it just because... playing around...
                  man I need to learn this stuff...
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

HS should provide a ready to go container. I think this will solve a lot of issues with e.g. mono, as there will be less variations.

Also it would allow them totest against different mono releases in one go

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Comment

I’m still fairly new to docker, but theoretically a HomeSeer docker should run in any docker “server,” correct, or would I need to specifically modify the docker to run in unRAID?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have HS4 running in an LXC container on ProxMox and it performs great. I have tested it on Ubuntu 18.04, Debian 10, and briefly on Ubuntu 20.04. No issues on any of those distros.

Comment

Hi all,
                          Hopefully my experience can help others;
                          Please keep in mind I'm brand new to both HS4 Pro, Linux, Ubuntu, and Docker. I have got this working just today. I am yet to stress test at all, but it's running, and that's a plus for me. Note: I installed HS4 from nothing (not an upgrade from HS3)

Let's start;
                          I'm running Ubuntu 20.04

Code:
                          > lsb_release -a
                          No LSB modules are available.
                          Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                          Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
                          Release: 20.04
                          Codename: focal
                          I started by learning how docker is installed and worked using this article I found very helpful;
                          https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-20-04

Then I did some searching around homeseer and docker, and found a couple of images on DockerHub;
                          I found that running some of these docker images wasn't intuitive for me, and ended up re-installing a clean HS4Pro when launched, but I needed to launch my already installed copy of HS4Pro, including my licence, etc.
                          Eventually found e1ite's docker image on DockerHub;
                          https://hub.docker.com/r/e1ite/docker-homeseer4
                          The best thing here is that the instructions are very helpful.

I then used what I just learnt from docker to pull e1ite's image down.
                          I looked at the instructions on creating a docker container from his page;
                          Code:
                          docker run -d \
                          --name homeseer \
                          -v /opt/homeseer:/HomeSeer \
                          -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
                          -p 80:80 \
                          -p 10200:10200 \
                          -p 10300:10300 \
                          -p 10401:10401 \
                          --device /dev/ttyUSB0 \
                          e1ite/docker-homeseer4:latest
                          The only items I had to change were;
                          Code:
                          -v /opt/homeseer:/HomeSeer
                          I had already a running installation of HomeSeer in my home folder, e.g. /home/maven/HomeSeer - so I changed this to;
                          Code:
                          -v /home/maven/HomeSeer:/HomeSeer \
                          I then updated the port as I am running other web services that are bound to port 80, so this line became;
                          Code:
                          -p 8080:80 \
                          I also don't have a USB dongle / device yet, so I removed this line completely;
                          Code:
                          --device /dev/ttyUSB0 \
                          Which meant my final run command was;
                          Code:
                          docker run -d \
                          --name homeseer \
                          This started a docker successfully, and now I have the docker container running;
                          Code:
                          user@server:~$ docker ps
                          CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
                          f3248e991998 e1ite/docker-homeseer4:latest "/init" 23 minutes ago Up 23 minutes 0.0.0.0:10200->10200/tcp, 0.0.0.0:10300->10300/tcp, 0.0.0.0:10401->10401/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8080->80/tcp homeseer
                          I then opened my browser, and went to localhost:8080 and succesfully lauched HS4. It was also configured exactly as I had previously prior to installing docker.

SUCCESS! I'm extremely happy considering my complete lack of experience here. Can't wait to dig my teeth into HS4Pro.

Comment

Many thanks for sharing this.... for many of us this will serve as a place to start.... now if i can only get my cranky R820 to run...

Devoir

Comment

Originally posted by mavenmills View Post
                              Hi all,
                              Hopefully my experience can help others; Please keep in mind I'm brand new to both HS4 Pro, Linux, Ubuntu, and Docker. I have got this working just today. I am yet to stress test at all, but it's running, and that's a plus for me. Note: I installed HS4 from nothing (not an upgrade from HS3)
                              ....my final run command was;
                              Code:
                              docker run -d \
                              --name homeseer \
                              @mavenmills: Thanks for this!

I already had a little experience recently with docker as I used it to get deCONZ running. I am on Debian 10. Already had played with HS4 for a while now but got it thoroughly messed up (another story) and since I no longer had a good working version of HS3 due to all the work I did in HS4, I started over with a fresh HS3 on Debian 9. Spent this past week building it back up (~30 devices & about 50 events) and then this morning I copied it over to Debian 10 where I installed HS 4.0.6.0 on top of it. It came up easily. Then I tried your above command to dockerize it, which worked but... HSTouch could not contact it. The error referenced IP 172.17.0.4 and I though wtf? So, I reviewed the homeseer startup log where I saw that homeseer said it's local IP was 172.17.0.4. Hmm... that could be a problem! After some googling which gave me clues but did not give me a definitive answer, I happened to look at my deconz run command and it uses --net. I read up on that and and changed my homeseer docker run command to:
                              Code:
                              docker run -d \
                              --name homeseer \
                              --network=host \
                              --restart unless-stopped \
                              -v /usr/local/HomeSeer:/HomeSeer \
                              --device /dev/ttyUSB0 \
                              In HS settings.ini/.bak I changed my webserver port to 8080 so as not to conflict with deCONZ running on port 80 and HS4 now has the host's IP address and MyHS can now connect to it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	myHS IP.PNG Views:	0 Size:	6.2 KB ID:	1389779
                              Hope this helps everyone!
                              -Daniel

BTW, if someone can tell me how the hell I can update my very old signature below, I'd appreciate it!

V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V
                              HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
                              Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
                              Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
                              Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
                              Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
                              Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
                              Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

Working...
                              X