HS3 Style of Showing Plugins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS3 Style of Showing Plugins

Below is a screenshot from HS3 of all of my plugins. Many are currently disabled but the fact is that it is very easy to see the name of the plugin, if it is enabled/disabled, what the current version is and if there is an update available, etc. In addition, if I want to update multiple plugins I just click on the check boxes and hit on download.

Now compare that to the second image below which is from HS4. This screenshot only shows 12 plugins, takes up more space, you can't see the current/newer version (just a download sign), etc, etc. I know everybody is moving to mobile but HS is really going in a wrong direction. It's pretty clear from the couple of images below.

Links are broken but I completely agree. What used to be simple on one page is now a back and forth which just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
      Links are broken but I completely agree. What used to be simple on one page is now a back and forth which just doesn't make sense.
      What do you mean by "back and forth"? Can you elaborate a bit more on this issue?
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry, that I don't know how to reference a particular post from elsewhere here. So I copied and pasted

Notice that you have to go to the Installed page which shows the rev number. If the upgrade cloud shows, you really need to disable the pi, then click the cloud, then enable. All good.

However if the upgrade cloud doesn't show which happens more often than not, you have to disable the pi, go to the add page, click on the pi in question to check the rev number then click install. Maybe if the rev number were shown on the PI page without having to click on the PI. If the rev number is not newer you have to go back to the installed page to check another PI if you want.

Comment

So if there isn't a cloud then there isn't an update. If this isn't working for a particular plugin please post an HS4 issue on this.
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            So if there isn't a cloud then there isn't an update. If this isn't working for a particular plugin please post an HS4 issue on this.
            The point is that there might not be a cloud update icon even though there is a newer beta version available. This should be indicated.

Just today, I updated the SolarEdge PI from 4.0.3.0 to 4.0.3.2. I, and others have posted on this previously. Part of the issue may be that both the stable version and the beta version are checked on the "Add" page.

Note also that on the Add page, you don't see the version number until you click on the PI itself. Why not show it up front.

The big point is that once again, the HS3 version of this page works far better than the current iteration in HS4.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post

The point is that there might not be a cloud update icon even though there is a newer beta version available. This should be indicated.

Just today, I updated the SolarEdge PI from 4.0.3.0 to 4.0.3.2. I, and others have posted on this previously. Part of the issue may be that both the stable version and the beta version are checked on the "Add" page.

Note also that on the Add page, you don't see the version number until you click on the PI itself. Why not show it up front.

The big point is that once again, the HS3 version of this page works far better than the current iteration in HS4.
              If the page isn't working then please enter an issue as this is why the team is putting out these betas. The average everyday HS4 user isn't going to want to know if a beta is available, only releases, so it appears it's designed to meet these needs. For us testers we will have to dig a bit deeper than usual to see if there's a beta.
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

A simple option of "Show Beta updates" would solve this and make the user experience better. This even goes for the HS3 interface as well.
                MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                  A simple option of "Show Beta updates" would solve this and make the user experience better. This even goes for the HS3 interface as well.
                  so Show Beta Updates AND possibly a grid view too, that would solve the issue of too many plugins taking up so much room
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

My guess is the way it's done is to better support a responsive design for Mobile, but I'm sure there is a way to make it work for both if one puts their mind to it. It's been too many years since I was active in web development to really offer any proper suggestions though.
                    MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Rupp i dont mean to be disrespectful but i disagree with your statement that the average user is not interested in beta versions. i consider myself an average user and if there is a beta version available for a plugin i install it. i am still on HS3 but have purchased an HS4 upgrade. i recently installed the beta zwave and meiharmonyhub plugins. i havent tried to switch to HS4 until the problems i read about in the forums settle down more.

Comment

Hi! I actually like the new layout, and as a plugin developer I am not an average user I guess. I agree there should not be an "upgrade cloud icon" for an available beta when a stable version is installed. Still, little improvements might be possible, like:
                        • If a beta is installed and a newer beta is available, it should display the "upgrade cloud icon"
                        • Often, upgrading a plugin requires to stop the plugin, upgrade it and start again. However, on faster machines you can simply upgrade without stopping and starting. It would be great if this experience can be improved to work on all hardware
                        • When adding new plugins, a separation between stable and beta releases would be more intuitive.

Thanks for considering!
                        stefxx

Comment

For the moment, you also have the option of viewing HS4 plugins as a list. See here.
                          Jon

Comment

Working...
                          X