Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 button scene controller Enerwave ZWN-SC7...to be or not to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 button scene controller Enerwave ZWN-SC7...to be or not to be?

I bought some Enerwave ZWN-SC7 7 button Z-wave switches and can't get them to work with HomeSeer.
    When I click on Associate I get the message "Note: Scene controller associations are set and used by scenes. Associations should not be modified using this association section. Please use the 'Settings' area above ON THE SCENE BUTTON DEVICE(S) to add or change scenes".

When I click on 'Settings', there is NOTHING showing!

See below images.

I like to allow events to execute based on a press on this controller. Is this product doomed with HomeSeer?
    Attached Files

If it is supported in HS, device(s) should have been created when you included the controller and events can be triggered by value changes in that device. What devices were created in HS when you included the controller?
    -Wade

Comment

I did use these at one time with HomeSeer. I do remember they worked very well however they were tricky to set up which is why I did a write up, just in case! See below. I haven't used this for quite a while but it may help.

Regards,

Enerwave ZWN-SC7
      Setting up in HomesSeer

Edit: See my next post below for a detailed description

Comment

DMTcc4005

This product is very flaky with HomeSeer.

I've tried several things:

1. I've added it several times to try to get it to work. I often see only the root device and then after scanning it, I can get the 7 switches added.

2. I also tried to add it with the device right next to my Z-Wave stick, just to make sure my problem was not RF signal quality related.

3. At the moment when I select "Retrieve" it doesn't even allow me to add any associations. This I could do at other occasions. Rather I get an error: "Failed to get Association Group Count information for device" and the log error is: "Failed to get Association Group Count information for device Node 84 Z-Wave Wenzhou MTLC Static Controller".

4. I've tried to factory reset it several times also.

5. Some attempts ago, I could control an associated light switch but I couldn't get anything reported into HomeSeer even when I associate the switch to HomeSeer.

6. I've never seen anything appearing on the Settings tab with HS4. When I click on Settings, it just expands the area with empty space.

7. I have previously spent some time on this controller with my HS3 installation before, and it was also with mixed success.

I can't judge if this device is so unstable due to bugs in HomeSeer or the device itself.

I've attached an image of the device added in HS4.

My version is: Z-Wave Lib Version 3.42 (ZDK 4.54.1).

I suspect this device will soon end up in the pile of too many Z-wave devices that have gone obsolete in my house over the years (at least 30 Z-wave devices are piling up, mostly Intermatic branded) :-)
        Attached Files

Comment

peterm This is a very old product that I don't think ever went through Z-Wave certification. We tested it when it was first released and we (Rick Tinker specifically) suggested firmware changes that would need to be made to make it work correctly. Enerwave did not implement those changes.

here are the Z-Wave certified products from Enerwave: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...hText=enerwave
          Learn About HomeSeer

Comment

macromark Thanks for the comment. I figured out this company didn't care to fix some software issues. It occurs to me a lot of these Chinese companies only test their products in some simple setup in their R&D lab; and never get their software stable and completely done to work with the real target market of home automation systems.

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
              macromark Thanks for the comment. I figured out this company didn't care to fix some software issues. It occurs to me a lot of these Chinese companies only test their products in some simple setup in their R&D lab; and never get their software stable and completely done to work with the real target market of home automation systems.
              Did you buy them recently? I've not seen them for sale anywhere for years.
              Learn About HomeSeer

Comment

This controller is a crappy product physically too. The LEDs stop working. Not worth installing IMO.

Comment

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat. I have two of them. When I was using Vera, it worked without headaches. But with HS, I am facing the exact same issues peterm is facing.

I bought mine a long time ago. But I only moved to HS on last february. And I remember it being very expensive.

I will try to make them work again. What I am facing lately is this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS Help5.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1387550

It keeps showing up after doing the z wave config reset.

It is a shame this product is not supported. It played an important role on my rooms (hometheater and bedroom near my bed). I controlled many thing laying down on the sofa or in my bed...

I will try what DMT suggested and reply here. Fingers crossed

Comment

I bought mine a couple of years ago and finally had time to try to make them work...so much wasted time fiddling around.

And then just at dinner time today I noticed a lamp being on in my living room and I couldn't turn it off. That particular Jasco dimmer is broken...another one... I have 30 Jasco dimmers and they last only a few years. On top of that I have a ton of other devices. Now a week without anything breaking is a good week!

Home automation is wasting too much of my time due to:
                    1. Poorly engineered software that isn't compatible and reliable.
                    2. Poorly engineered hardware that doesn't last more than typically 5 years (I replaced all my Z-Wave Intermatic switches 6 years ago...to Jasco...and now Jasco is same thing).

Comment

I see why you are so frustrated. I am too. Too much money. And I live in Brazil, which makes everything very, very expensive. My wife only complains about this HA stuff. When it works, she says blah. When it doesn't... Boy, my ears get on fire.

Let's work together and see if we can manage put to work this enerwave crap.

Any success, please post it. And post the defeats too.

Comment

I use Insteon keypads now but if you really want the Enerwave to work - here's how. This is for HS3. Although I have a HS4 license I haven't started using it yet as my HS3 system is 100%, well 99.9% anyway.

I would recommend you get as close as possible to your Z-Wave controller during the inclusion process and subsequent steps. Also, the Enerwave is a scene controller - it will send a scene on command (1) per button that you can use in a HomeSeer event to do whatever you want.

First include the Enerwave device.

Name:	Screenshot (8).png
Views:	84
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	1387801

You end up with a single node but not child devices (buttons).

Name:	Screenshot (9).png
Views:	62
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1387802

Next go to the Z-Wave tab and "Rescan" to add the child devices.

Name:	InkedScreenshot (10)_LI.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1387803

Now back to the device list page and you should have 7 child devices (buttons 1 thu 7).

Name:	Screenshot (11).png
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1387804

Now click the "Scene Controller Button 1" link on the device list page and go to the Z-Wave tab. Expand Settings. This part is very important as it sets up HomeSeer to receive the scene on command from the Enerwave device. Press "Add" then "Save Scene Changes".

Name:	InkedScreenshot (43)_LI.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1387805

Go back to the device list page and press button 1 on the Enerwave device. The "Scene On" status on should now be lit. Now you have to go back and and REPEAT the steps for buttons 2 thru 7 remembering to "Add" then "Save" each time.

Name:	Screenshot (45).png
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1387806

You should now be ready to create an event (example below).

Name:	Screenshot (46).png
Views:	62
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1387807

That's it. Good luck with this.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          I use Insteon keypads now but if you really want the Enerwave to work - here's how. This is for HS3. Although I have a HS4 license I haven't started using it yet as my HS3 system is 100%, well 99.9% anyway.

I would recommend you get as close as possible to your Z-Wave controller during the inclusion process and subsequent steps. Also, the Enerwave is a scene controller - it will send a scene on command (1) per button that you can use in a HomeSeer event to do whatever you want.

That's it. Good luck with this.

Regards,
                          I think you deserve a covid-free kiss... In the mouth !!!!

Comment

Well, after including it and managing to get everything "as working"... time to test it. The luck started running out of my door.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sc7 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	1387836

Thing is: I created a scene to light up my lights. It worked flawlessly. I started to smile.
                            I then created another scene: to turn my lights off, using button 1 scene off. It didn't work. I thought this does not support scene off. Let me create then a button 2 scene on to turn the lights off. No effect. I tried with other buttons. Using scene on or off, nothing changed.
                            I turned off the lights myself. I clicked button one again. It didn't turn the lights back on. On HS, the scenes pressed all show as ON...

Click image for larger version  Name:	sc7 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	1387837

It seems even giving a command to scene off, it does not go off.

I repeat, as it worked on Vera, there is a way to make it work on HS, but it would depend on them.

What could I possibly have done wrong ?

Comment

I don't believe scene off is supported.

I would change your event trigger to "This device had its value set to..."

Using "changes and becomes Scene On" could be problematic with the scene on command. Alternatively you could use the Z-Wave Scene Activated trigger.

Name:	Screenshot (47).png
Views:	49
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	1388140

Finally, I would make sure that all 7 buttons have been programmed to work with HomeSeer even if you don't intend to use them all. This will prevent some spurious command being sent (or not).

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X