Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the copy devices function not there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the copy devices function not there?

I guess it is because You do not want people creating devices from feature , so the feature won't have any parents and can be associated to the last parent after the copy.

it is easy to resolve this. We just need to go to setup / Labs , then click on fix device/feature relationship.

+ Give us an utility that make us able to link a standalone feature to a parents ( jon00 grouping utility just works for this )

rjh

We left the copy out of bulk edit because it seemed odd to want to bulk copy a bunch of devices, not sure if the use case. If you copy plugin devices they will not work with the plugin they originally were assigned to. But I have had a few ask for it. I have a ticket open to add the copy back. As long as I don't see an issue copying an HS4 device I plan on getting it added back. I don't anticipate an issue.

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
    I guess it is because You do not want people creating devices from feature , so the feature won't have any parents and can be associated to the last parent after the copy.

it is easy to resolve this. We just need to go to setup / Labs , then click on fix device/feature relationship.

+ Give us an utility that make us able to link a standalone feature to a parents ( jon00 grouping utility just works for this )

rjh
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      We left the copy out of bulk edit because it seemed odd to want to bulk copy a bunch of devices, not sure if the use case. If you copy plugin devices they will not work with the plugin they originally were assigned to. But I have had a few ask for it. I have a ticket open to add the copy back. As long as I don't see an issue copying an HS4 device I plan on getting it added back. I don't anticipate an issue.

ok thanks . The use case is to copy virtual devices. And yes it did happend for me to copy 5-10 devices at the sames time. Thanks for you repliy Rich

Comment

I was trying to copy a bunch of virtual devices that I also grouped with Jon00's utility. The "copy" function is selectable from the bulk edit dropdown but nothing happens. No error, no message, nothing in log, the devices just don't appear. I had to Google the issue and thankfully found post above mine. This is poor UX rjh

Please let us do this or at least throw a message as to why nothing happens.

Comment

I have already put in the fix so it will be in the next build which should be out this week (4.1.4.0).

Comment

Am I misunderstanding - the Copy option is still in the bulk menu?

However as of 4.1.3.0 it doesn't seem to do anything - in 4.1.2.0 I would get a copy, but in 4.1.3.0 nothing happens... no error message, nothing in the logs, just nothing happens no matter how many times I try.

Comment

Not sure what the confusion is. In 4.1.3.0 it does not copy child devices. This is fixed in 4.1.4.0 which is not out yet as of this post. 4.1.4.0 will work the same as HS3. Hold on testing for a couple more days.

Comment

Not sure what the confusion is. In 4.1.3.0 it does not copy child devices.
                The confusion was merely 4.1.3.0 does not tell you it wasn't copying a child - no message dialog, no entry in log, it simply did nothing at all.

Imagine if Visual Studio simply did nothing when you compile your code - no errors or messages about what the issue is, simply sits there in silence. You honestly wouldn't be confused about that - nor spend any time at all looking into it, just walk away never to return maybe go try the new Mango flavoured Pepsi Max to see if it is better than Coffee Bean flavoured Coke?

Comment

Not sure what the confusion is. In 4.1.3.0 it does not copy child devices. This is fixed in 4.1.4.0 which is not out yet as of this post. 4.1.4.0 will work the same as HS3. Hold on testing for a couple more days.
                  Rich,

Still not working at my side.

---
                  John

Comment

Right, the fix did not make it 4.1.4.0, it will be in 4.1.5.0 which will be out next week.

Originally posted by John245 View Post

Rich,

Still not working at my side.

---
                    John

Comment

Hi,

I'm on latest version of HS4 and copy seems to work (if I tick off the main/parent device, and not the child/feature), but each feature is shown as separate devices in grid view. In list view they appear to be ok, but i don't think they are. Also, if I tick off all main+child/feature, the copy function makes new child copies in the same parent. Anyone else experienced this?

Edit: And it also makes copies of floor an room, not leave the copy in the same floor/room as original device.

Please look into this.

Comment

Originally posted by dag-inge View Post
                        Hi,

I'm on latest version of HS4 and copy seems to work (if I tick off the main/parent device, and not the child/feature), but each feature is shown as separate devices in grid view. In list view they appear to be ok, but i don't think they are. Also, if I tick off all main+child/feature, the copy function makes new child copies in the same parent. Anyone else experienced this?

Edit: And it also makes copies of floor an room, not leave the copy in the same floor/room as original device.

Please look into this.
                        Rich is aware of the problems. A fix is scheduled in 4.1.9.0.

rjh please also have a look at the grid view issue from the OP.

---
                        John

Comment

Is this coming in 4.1.40, 4.1.50, or 4.1.9.0, or some later release?

Comment

Originally posted by AZweimiller
                            Rich is also the on who said it would be fixed in 4.1.4.0 and then in 4.1.5.0 back in August so I'm not holding my breath for 4.1.9.0. I hope this fix is included but I won't be surprised if it's not. I'm already on HS4 and this is holding me up from finishing some Node-Red stuff.
                            I need it also for my 150+ Node-RED devices.

Hope 4.1.9.0 will be released soon.

---
                            John

Comment

I am also trying to copy multiple virtual devices in homeseer 4. Hopefully it will be available soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X