How to Upgrade from HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    At the end of the setup once you have HS4 running.
    Please consider adding that to the instructions.

Comment

In the Alternate Method step 7 says Note of in step 4 of Backing up HS3. Shouldn't it be step 3?
      • Click Switch and you will be presented with all of the .hsd files you copied over. Select the one you made a note of in step 4 of Backing up HS3. You will receive a warning that this will overwrite data, click Yes.

Jim

Comment

I've read your text thread, and would very much appreciate some help with my following problem. Homeseer has not sent any info, and based on many past difficulties this may take some time. Please take a look at the note I've sent to them. Would it be better for me to just upgrade to the new Hometroller Pro? to save some time?
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I've been using an S6Pro for about 2 years, and now have over 260 devices and over 100 events (all running our Portsmouth, NH house). During the past week, the system has frozen twice, and three times during the past 10 days. Un-plugging and restarting the box is the only recourse to restart and regain an operational S6. The log also shows complete self-restart(s) from time to time (on its own). When it freezes however, there is absolutely no solution other than removing power.

Comment

Originally posted by P Dawson View Post
          I've read your text thread, and would very much appreciate some help with my following problem. Homeseer has not sent any info, and based on many past difficulties this may take some time. Please take a look at the note I've sent to them. Would it be better for me to just upgrade to the new Hometroller Pro? to save some time?
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I've been using an S6Pro for about 2 years, and now have over 260 devices and over 100 events (all running our Portsmouth, NH house). During the past week, the system has frozen twice, and three times during the past 10 days. Un-plugging and restarting the box is the only recourse to restart and regain an operational S6. The log also shows complete self-restart(s) from time to time (on its own). When it freezes however, there is absolutely no solution other than removing power.
          I’m assuming you’re running on some form of Windows machine and with the little detail you provide the best guess is Windows updates are killing your HS service. How long have you had the S6.

Supply a little more detail like your OS version and logs and lets see if we can get you going again. Might be best to start a fresh post on your problem.

Comment

Thanks very much for the timely response. I've started a post, but you're the first one to respond to my issue(s). I'm running my S6Pro connected to a Dell PC running windows 10 (completely updated to latest MS updates). I bought the S6 pro in late 2018, and it took many hours with RPRADE (Colorado) using team viewer to get me completely up and running. I've written back to him during the past 2 days, but no response. He's done thousands of posts with help to people like me.
            I'm assuming (like you) that my S6 may have taken on a Win10 update that's now causing it problems. Can you tell me how best to get into the S6pro's internal PC, and then copy some info from its OS to help you de-cypher the current problem (that's causing it to crash). I don't have any specific issue that's making the system fail, as the system log is blank once I power cycle the box. The crash seems to occur randomly (three times during the past several days).
            I'll look for your response (poko@comcast.net). Again, you've made my day with your response, as I'm really needing a solution here (I'm away a lot, and need this S6 to work 100% of the time). I use a cell to remotely monitor the house while away (HS Touch designer with a GUI designed by me). I can upgrade to a new hometroller pro, but I should be capable of simply correcting the current problem.

Comment

No need for any drastic action here. Your fresh post should yield results. Jumping in on older posts with similar symptoms can be the cause of your query being overlooked.

Include as much detail as possible like your system profile which will include the plugins you use. It should be easy enough to resolve the problem from there.

As I mentioned it’s probably the unsolicited stealth Windows updates that are killing the service.

Comment

Thanks very much. I'll get into some details, and see what can be solved using your (and others' help). The plug-ins are zwave, and insteon. I'm also using X10 which runs under M. Sandler's insteon plugin. Windows updates can (like in a normal desktop pc) cause unsolicited problems, but I'm not sure how to diagnose those, and roll back the OS to before a time that they were loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfoster View Post
                  I'm a little hesitant on installing HS4 but I've been waiting so long I can't wait. Anyway, I would like to use the Alternate Upgrade so I can keep HS3. Once I feel comfortable with HS4 I will remove HS3. I read here somewhere that this option does not install my plugins and I have to install them. Below is the upgrade instructions. At what step should I install all my plugins? is there any other steps I should be aware of that are not in the instructions?

Thanks everyone

Jim

Installing and Setting up HS4 (Alernate Method)
                  1. Install HS4 on your PC and do not install it over the HS3 installation folder.
                  2. Once HS4 is installed, open it up and then close the HS4 program window so that HS4 is no longer running and cannot be connected to from find.homeseer.com. Completing the following steps while HS4 is running will cause issues.
                  3. Copy the contents of the Config folder in HomeSeer HS3 to the Config folder in HomeSeer HS4. When asked, select Replace the files in the destination.
                  4. Next, move onto the Data folder in HomeSeer HS3 and copy its contents into the Data folder in HomeSeer HS4. When asked, select Replace the files in the destination.
                  5. Now, start the HS4 software again and register it!
                  6. Finally, click on the Setup tab in the HS4 web interface. From here, click the Edit Config button.
                  7. Click Switch and you will be presented with all of the .hsd files you copied over. Select the one you made a note of in step 4 of Backing up HS3. You will receive a warning that this will overwrite data, click Yes.

You will receive a prompt that the configuration has been loaded and you should be all set! Because we moved over the information from the Config folder, your plugins should be all set up as they were. You are now ready to take advantage of HS4!
                  So this caught my eye again and I have a question with respect to the plugins. In HS3 my plugin exe's reside in the root directory (HomeSeer HS3), how are these picked up if they don't exist in the new HS4 folder? When I upgrade, I would like to maintain an HS4 folder separately from the HS3 folder.

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

So this caught my eye again and I have a question with respect to the plugins. In HS3 my plugin exe's reside in the root directory (HomeSeer HS3), how are these picked up if they don't exist in the new HS4 folder? When I upgrade, I would like to maintain an HS4 folder separately from the HS3 folder.

Robert
                    Assuming you follow the explicit instructions for upgrading from HS3 to HS4 you’ll have created a new folder and have moved the entire contents of the HS3 to that new folder.

The upgrade process will take care of the rest. That’s how it worked for me. I will admit it’s a long time since I did the upgrade though.

Comment

Originally posted by P Dawson View Post
                      Thanks very much. I'll get into some details, and see what can be solved using your (and others' help). The plug-ins are zwave, and insteon. I'm also using X10 which runs under M. Sandler's insteon plugin. Windows updates can (like in a normal desktop pc) cause unsolicited problems, but I'm not sure how to diagnose those, and roll back the OS to before a time that they were loaded.
                      I thought Windows had some sort of built in Restore to previous state function. Also make sure the HS3 legacy plugins you use with HS4 have no reported issues. Check in the plugin sub forums and with the maintainer for that info.

Comment

I need to get into the S6 box using a display, keyboard, and mouse to work with its win 10 OS. I don't think that there's a way "in" using the host PC running the software and all programs with events and devices.
                        I also need to research the "roll back" function if that's available, and to see what the update history is for this software (inside the S6). My Dell host PC is an Alienware running Win 10 pro, and has worked for over 2 years running this S6 Pro.
                        If anyone has input to my needs, or suggestions, I'd very much appreciate them. Again, my problem is a complete S6 pro system freeze at random times, with no disruption of power or internet source problems. This has happened three times during the past several days. The only recourse is a power cycle to restart the box.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

Assuming you follow the explicit instructions for upgrading from HS3 to HS4 you’ll have created a new folder and have moved the entire contents of the HS3 to that new folder.

The upgrade process will take care of the rest. That’s how it worked for me. I will admit it’s a long time since I did the upgrade though.

I realize there are a couple of upgrade instructions provided by HST, however, my question was more specific to jbfoster process. In his process, there is no specific instructions to replace the contents of the HS4 directory with anything other than the config and data folders of HS3.
                          What I would like is a full upgrade without having to reinstall all 21 of my plugins, configure them yet have a new HS4 folder as root.
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Robert
                            How was this resolved?
                            Here the same setup HS3's root folder contains the plugins

now.. HS4 is installing onto a clean Win10 Pro
                            Some plugins that I use now in HS3 aren't in the HS4 list, like: GCPro and LimitlessLED

TIA
                            Blair

Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                            | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                            Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                            BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Blair, I haven't yet upgraded as I'm just too busy right now to spend the hours required to transition . Like you, I use the GCPro as well. I'm still in process of gathering information for the upgrade.

Comment

Hi guys.

Any light on this matter would be much appreciated.

I have an old laptop running win 10 32bit and HS3 pro. I got a new one with win 10 64bit and want to install HS4 pro. The thing is: the alternate method will be ok or being windows 10 32 vs 64bit will cause me trouble?

Please, help

Comment

Working...
                                X