HS4, .NET 5, (HS5?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4, .NET 5, (HS5?)

• Is it time to leave legacy Mono behind? Yes.
    • Is there a platform-independent successor of the legacy .NET Framework? Yes
    • Are .NET Core and .NET 5 (the.NET Core successor) run on Linux, Windows, Mac, and AMD(Intel)/ARM 32/64 architecture? Yes
    • Is it time to move to .NET 5? Yes.
    When do we see a .NET 5 HS4 version, perhaps cleverly called HS5, to stay in sync? 😉

Maybe I am missing something but isn't Mono to run .NET on Linux systems? If so, why would you want to leave Mono behind? If anything maybe it's better to move to .NET core. HS has some small standalone HW to run their software on. I believe it runs on Linux. Hence, they have to support Mono. I might talk gibberish here.

PS: I do like the free upgrades from .NET4 to .NET5 so if HS can do that I wouldn't mind them staying with the .NET version numbering. It makes not practical sense, though and the relatively low upgrade cost is MUCH appreciated. If they would charge a much higher fee it would make me reconsider...

Comment

.Net is indeed used to run HomeSeer on Linux.

Why would Microsoft drop Mono? Microsoft needs Mono so the .Net Framework will run on Linux. Microsoft needed Mono so badly that they purchased Xamarin and now basically own Mono.

Comment

I am sorry.
        I should have been more specific.
        .NET Core, which is a first-class citizen on Linux, compare to a stow-away like mono, has been released over 4 years ago.
        .NET 5, the global emperor, running on everything and everywhere, is in preview, released in a couple of months.

Comment

Working...
        X