Segmentation Faults on Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Segmentation Faults on Linux

So, I downloaded and installed HS4 Linux 4.1.0 onto my Raspberry Pi 3b and fired it up. I went through the initial startup stuff about changing my license and login, location. No problem. The main screen shows up blank, as expected. I clicked on "Create", a device, and the HS server logged a segmentation fault and quit HS4. I am running mono version 5.18.0.240, and have just updated the Rasbian version just to make sure all was up-to-date. At this point HS4 does not work. I had it working with version 4.0.1.37 without too many issues. I was even able to copy over my config data from HS3 and it worked. I tried that same technique with HS4 4.1.0 and it seemed that whenever I tried to access it from the browser from another computer I got the segmentation fault. That was when I just tried doing it with the default installation from HomeSeer.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    David

I found that there is a lot of issues with HS4 and Mono 5.x

I updated to Mono 6.x and most of the issues seemed to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by dsieg61 View Post
      So, I downloaded and installed HS4 Linux 4.1.0 onto my Raspberry Pi 3b and fired it up. I went through the initial startup stuff about changing my license and login, location. No problem. The main screen shows up blank, as expected. I clicked on "Create", a device, and the HS server logged a segmentation fault and quit HS4. I am running mono version 5.18.0.240, and have just updated the Rasbian version just to make sure all was up-to-date. At this point HS4 does not work. I had it working with version 4.0.1.37 without too many issues. I was even able to copy over my config data from HS3 and it worked. I tried that same technique with HS4 4.1.0 and it seemed that whenever I tried to access it from the browser from another computer I got the segmentation fault. That was when I just tried doing it with the default installation from HomeSeer.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks,
      David
      Start with a fresh install of Raspbian and make sure you add the Mono Project repository as a source BEFORE attempting to install Mono and HS4

Comment

I can't seem to find a "good" procedure on the upgrade of mono to 6.x. If there is one, would someone provide the link?

Also, I was able to get 4.1 to run, setting up a clean blank install. But when I try using the "Alternative Method" of installation to get my HS3 information over to HS4 is when I start to have problems. I have a feeling that it has something to do with remote access/users. I can get HS4 started and running, but whenever I try and access HS4 from a browser, I get the seg fault:

9:45:35:1937:[Startup]->Running the startup script Startup.vb
        09:45:36:4425:[Web Server]->Web Server authorized local login successful from: 192.168.1.110 User: default
        ./go: line 2: 32662 Segmentation fault sudo mono HSConsole.exe --log

NOTE: The user above is "default". Normally it would give my myhs account as a username. I tried deleting the Config/users* files to see what would happen.... no change

When I start HS4 for the first time and access through a browser, it takes me to the license page. I go through all that and when I click on submit, I get a seg fault. Not sure if this corrupts the enthries, but after that is when I start having seg faults when try to access via a browser.

Comment

I can't seem to find a "good" procedure on the upgrade of mono to 6.x. If there is one, would someone provide the link?

Also, I was able to get 4.1 to run, setting up a clean blank install. But when I try using the "Alternative Method" of installation to get my HS3 information over to HS4 is when I start to have problems. I have a feeling that it has something to do with remote access/users. I can get HS4 started and running, but whenever I try and access HS4 from a browser, I get the seg fault:

9:45:35:1937:[Startup]->Running the startup script Startup.vb
          09:45:36:4425:[Web Server]->Web Server authorized local login successful from: 192.168.1.110 User: default
          ./go: line 2: 32662 Segmentation fault sudo mono HSConsole.exe --log

NOTE: The user above is "default". Normally it would give my myhs account as a username. I tried deleting the Config/users* files to see what would happen.... no change

When I start HS4 for the first time and access through a browser, it takes me to the license page. I go through all that and when I click on submit, I get a seg fault. Not sure if this corrupts the enthries, but after that is when I start having seg faults when try to access via a browser.
          I really don't advise trying to upgrade your Mono version.You have the latest version as per the Raspbian repository. Removing the Mono version you currently have to install Mono 6x is quite a big job and not for the faint hearted.I really do advise a fresh install of Raspbian with the Mono Project repo like this.

sudo apt install apt-transport-https dirmngr gnupg ca-certificates

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian stable-raspbianbuster main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list

sudo apt update

and of course install HS4 and just restore your HS backup configuration.Again it's entirely your decision what route you go

Comment

OK, so here is what I did:
            - Updated mono to version 6.10.0.104 using the procedure here:
            https://www.mono-project.com/#download-lin-raspbian
            - Created a new directory in /opt and copied my existing HS3 files (all of them) to there
            - Copied the HS4 install on top of the HS3 files in the new folder
            - Started HS4 and it loaded everything up.
            - Took me to the registration page and went through the first three steps and then hung on Step 4 (Alexa step). Stop and started HS4 and went back to the registration page and skipped step 4. Modified step 5 so that it will not require a password on the local network
            - It finish the registration fine.
            - It appears that everything is there, all plugins are working (BLRF, Arduino, RapberryIO, z-wave, X-10) and registered.

This is a bit different than the "Alternative Method" for upgrading and I am not sure if I should be expecting some issues by doing it this way.

Oh, and NO SEGMENTATION FAULTS

Comment

- Created a new directory in /opt and copied my existing HS3 files (all of them) to there
              - Took me to the registration page and went through the first three steps and then hung on Step 4 (Alexa step). Stop and started HS4 and went back to the registration page and skipped step 4. Modified step 5 so that it will not require a password on the local network
              - It appears that everything is there, all plugins are working (BLRF, Arduino, RapberryIO, z-wave, X-10) and registered.

This is a bit different than the "Alternative Method" for upgrading and I am not sure if I should be expecting some issues by doing it this way.

Isn't the latest stable Mono release still 6.8.0??
              If memory serves me correctly, your steps are how I upgraded my HS3 to HS4 Beta back in early March complete with the same hang at step 4. I think I was on mono 6.6 then...
              HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
              Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
              Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
              Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
              Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
              Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
              Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

That’s exactly the method I outlined in the copy/paste commands above for installing Mono latest stable from their project page.

I’ve no idea what the Alexa step is but once the skill is registered and linked correctly to your setup you should have no problem.

For anyone starting with a fresh install of Raspbian/HS4 it’s vital to add the Mono project repo to your sources BEFORE attempting to install HS4 otherwise you are restricted to the Mono version currently available in the Raspbian repo which is at least one full version behind.

Comment

I was having issues on Ubuntu and I followed the upgrade mono before HS install and that resolved the problems. Here's the mono install steps I followed for Ubuntu, but the link is also good for other Linux flavors: https://www.mono-project.com/downloa.../#download-lin

Comment

Well, running for several days now and no issues. Even is working with my Alexa. The only thing I am seeing is some issues with some of my z-wave devices. Shows the root nodes, but not the controls for the child devices. That is from a remote browser. They show up fine on the HomeSeer mobile app on my phone.

The upgrade process that I did is how I always did HS3 upgrades. I would copy the original version into a new directory in /opt, them extract the new version of HS over the top. Never had any issues with that.

Will let this run until next weekend, then see about updating some plugins. All my legacy ones from HS3 are working, bit it is calling out an update to the BLRF plugin, and I know that there is anew version of the Legacy Arduino plugin.

Comment

Latest stale mono is 6.10

Comment

I also had the same issues described above. Tech support pointed out this post and I now am up and running.
                        I did a clean install of Raspian Buster10 and Mono 6.10.0.104 and mono-vbnc, on a Raspberry pi 3B+ Then alternate install method of hs4.
                        This did bring up hs4 with my hs3 setup minus the plugins.
                        Thanks Guys

Comment

I had seen some forum discussion concerning Mono updates and memory leaks. I have been keeping an eye on mem usage of the Raspberry. When I first kicked off HS4 last weekend, it was showing 500MB MB of memory used. Not sure how much was mono. Looked today and over 1.5GB of mem is used, 1GB by one of the 4 mono processes. Disabled all of my plugins and it only went down by 200MB. I am restarting HS4 and will see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                          X