HS4 support for UPB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 support for UPB?

Does HS4 provide support for UPB devices?

Currently using HS3 with the old HS UPB Plugin Version 3.0.0.2 which works fine (once you are used to its idiosyncrasies).

Does ANYBODY have any experience with UPB and HS4?

Will the old HS UPB Plugin Version 3.0.0.2 work with HS4?

Will Spud's HS3 plugin work with HS4?

Comment

I'd recommend trying it and reporting back as it appears not too many are still using UPB that have tested this with HS4.
      ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ Support & Customer Service ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™‚๏ธ Sales Questions ๐Ÿ›’ Shop HomeSeer Productsโ€‹

Comment

I've been using the old Legacy UPB plugin with HS4 and it does work ... with a few new idiosyncrasies

- There seems to be no way to navigate to the plugin setup page, the "more" button brings up an empty list. So you need to use the url http://<ip adress>/upb_config in your browser to get to the plugins config page. Once there everything appears to work as expected.
        - If you use any UPB linked devices, e.g. a virtual device that is linked to another, well they work via the HS3->HS4 import BUT in HS4 they will be un-editable plus you can't add a new device that is linked to any UPB device as the UPB devices do not show up as "linkable" in the device list ... not just grayed out but not appearing at all.

I've reported these items to the bug tracker as well

Comment

I'm using the Legacy plugin, upgraded from HS3 to HS4.

I confirm that there are issues with the linked devices but else than that, no issues... the config page works directly from the plugin -> UPB -> Config ; I don't have to paste the url in my browser.

Good luck!

I too want to move away from UPB, everything new is ZWave but I still have 30+ UPB switches so it will take time!

Comment

What is lacking in the UPB switches that you want to be overcome with Zwave?

Recognize that HS has the best Zwave support, but it does not mean that Zwave is the best technology in many situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
              What is lacking in the UPB switches that you want to be overcome with Zwave?

Recognize that HS has the best Zwave support, but it does not mean that Zwave is the best technology in many situations.
              Huh?????? HS has the est Zwave support?????
              rjh2

Comment

Yes HS has the best Zwave implementation based upon what I see from other HomeAssistant, OpenHab users wanting a bridge to HS for only the Zwave support.

It has been so long (decade+) that I had to do anything with my UPB install that I forgot how to support it if something does happen. With Zwave it seems there is always something happening that makes one go through a reset/resync/reassociate process to keep yourself fresh on how to support your install. I have spare UPB device that have never been deployed.

I have tended toward WiFi for new devices, but did you ever try to find an ivory WiFi switch or plug?

So my question is why would somebody want to remove a working UPB in favor of Zwave.

Comment

Originally posted by jpsavaria View Post
                  I'm using the Legacy plugin, upgraded from HS3 to HS4.

I confirm that there are issues with the linked devices but else than that, no issues... the config page works directly from the plugin -> UPB -> Config ; I don't have to paste the url in my browser.
                  Yes the access to the plugin config was fixed in 4.1.4 ... it was bug HS-939, so that is a nice fix. Linked UPB devices, other than what were converted from HS3, are still a no go.

Having used UPB in my previous home and now a mixture of UPB and Zwave in my new home, I would, if I could, use only UPB (but I have line noise issues from my variable speed HVAC unit).

IMO the UPB hardware and communication (when the poser line is mostly clean) has been more reliable than Zwave. Overall Zwave has been pretty good, and there are a couple of things I like about the Zwave switches over UPB, not just the $ savings. That said I've had Zwave switches "ignore" scene commands and have had switches get stuck on and then not respond to manual control. These have required entering switch config mode or doing power reset. I've personally never had a UPB switch not respond to a manual input.

Comment

And to close this one out ...

HS will not fix the inability of this plugin to allow linked devices, or the fact that when you import from HS3 (where things worked fine) you have a bit of a mess since you end up with working devices that you can't edit. Their solution was to spend more money on another 3rd party plugin, not that they actually tested that to ensure it worked, you know that would take another 3 months of effort ๐Ÿคจ

Comment

Working...
                    X