HS3 -> HS4 upgrade path?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 -> HS4 upgrade path?

Remembering how painful it was to "upgrade" from HS2 to HS3 (as in there was no upgrade path), how hard is it to upgrade to HS4?

Specifically with regard to the Insteon plugin? I have a lot of Insteon devices but at least with that Mark's plugin gave a fairly easy way to move the database... the rest of the devices (Z-Wave, etc) had to be created from scratch.

Thanks

https://docs.homeseer.com/products/s...hometroller-s6
    Last edited by macromark; August 26, 2022, 03:26 PM.

Comment

HS4 is HS3 with a new interface for the most part.
      Shouldn't be anything like the 2 to 3 upgrade.

Comment

Was looking for the Linux upgrade document from the "Help" page and didn't see it. Is it available?

Comment

Originally posted by jwbryan View Post
          Was looking for the Linux upgrade document from the "Help" page and didn't see it. Is it available?
          JWBryan, It is now:
          https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...rade-procedure

Comment

Bump - thinking of taking advantage of the sale now but the link someone provided above no longer works. Can someone provide links to :

- key differences between HS3 and HS4
            - plugin compatibility
            - upgrade steps

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lockon View Post
              Bump - thinking of taking advantage of the sale now but the link someone provided above no longer works. Can someone provide links to :

- key differences between HS3 and HS4
              - plugin compatibility
              - upgrade steps

Thanks!
              HS4 has a new mobile interface but behind the scenes it is still HS3 code. That's why the majority of existing HS3 plugins will work under HS4. You can even get to the old HS3 interface for devices & events if you wish.

With HS4 you get a number of free HS4 specific plugins included (see below) plus you can use your existing licensed HS3 plugins as well. New items now available include RTSP camera support (Viewing, Snapshot and recording), New device categories with filtering (in addition to Room, Floor), Built-in backup and Node-Red support.

More details here: https://homeseer.com/hs4-smart-home-...tion-software/

A HS4 road-map was published in 2019 but that has since been removed from the web-site. It is reproduced below. Whether any of these features will be added is anyone's guess.

HS3 - HS4 upgrade details can be found here: https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...ading+from+HS3

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS4Roadmap.PNG
Views:	364
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1430746

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	546
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	1430745
              Jon

Comment

There are two methods to upgrade from HS3 to HS4. I did the Alternate method and had no problems. If you do the Alternate method there is a typo in the instructions.

in step 7 it says:

7. Click Switch and you will be presented with all of the .hsd files you copied over. Select the one you made a note of in step 4 of Backing up HS3. You will receive a warning that this will overwrite data, click Yes.

It should say step 3 of Backing up HS3.

Upgrade instructions
                https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS4/Windows+and+S6

Jim

Comment

Thank you all. One more question:

Will the existing version of Designer (for iPads, iPhones, etc) work as-is? I dread the thought of redoing all my iPad interfaces.

Thanks

Comment

Thank you all. One more question:

Will the existing version of Designer (for iPads, iPhones, etc) work as-is? I dread the thought of redoing all my iPad interfaces.

Thanks
                    Yes, works as good (or not) as it does with HS3. Note that the "new" HSTouch Designer is rumored to not be file compatible with the HS3 format but an import/convert function is being considered.
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

...but an import/convert function is being considered.
                      I really hope so. I can't understand how software vendors can provide new software without an upgrade path... The whole HS2->HS3 upgrade thing still has me hot under the collar

Comment

I really hope so. I can't understand how software vendors can provide new software without an upgrade path... The whole HS2->HS3 upgrade thing still has me hot under the collar
                        I think we are far removed from the HS2 to HS3 upgrade thing you refer to. Many at this stage have followed the HS3 to HS4 upgrade path successfully at this stage.

While HS4 won’t be to everyone’s liking and possibly some might feel left behind HS3 can’t stand still forever as the representative flagship product for HST.

Some have found it necessary to migrate to alternative platforms which is their right to do so but for many here it is a welcome development, HS4.

In short the upgrade path to HS4 is in no way comparable to that of HS3 but it’s entirely up to each user to determine if it’s for them. I for one managed it successfully so can only express an individual opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

While HS4 won’t be to everyone’s liking and possibly some might feel left behind
                          Whoa... now you are scaring me... can you expand on this statement a bit? To me, the HS3 interaface was a step down from the HS2 visual interface... are you saying that HS4 is even worse?

Comment

Whoa... now you are scaring me... can you expand on this statement a bit? To me, the HS3 interaface was a step down from the HS2 visual interface... are you saying that HS4 is even worse?
                            Maybe some current (if there’s any remaining) or former users of HS2 might like to comment on that. I’m not of that vintage 😂

As I mentioned above the path for upgrade between HS3 to HS4 ran fairly smoothly for me and from what I read on some legacy posts there wasn’t an actual upgrade path from HS2 to HS3 it’s safe to say the current upgrade path would be a lot simpler.

Comment

I wasn't asking about HS2... I am already running HS3... you said "While HS4 won’t be to everyone’s liking and possibly some might feel left behind" and I wanted to know what you meant by that.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X