Can not send gmail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not send gmail

I had an error HomeSeerError Exception sending email via GMail (To:xxxxxxx@hotmail.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:Alarm, Attach = Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
    I had same setting in HS3 no problem. I keep get an error in HS4.

You have to go to your google account and set up a new app password and use that password in HS mail. Then it should work. At least I had the same problem when upgraded to hs4.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken.238 View Post
      I had an error HomeSeerError Exception sending email via GMail (To:xxxxxxx@hotmail.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:Alarm, Attach = Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
      I had same setting in HS3 no problem. I keep get an error in HS4.
      Has Less Secure Apps been turned off in Google.

Comment

Thanks Patrick339. Like you said after I set up app password it work well.

Comment

For anyone setting up Gmail sending in HS these instructions from the official HS documentation work perfectly for HS3 and HS4 as long as less secure apps in Google is enabled as per the instructions . I’m not sure why you would want to add an new app password in Google to use in HS mail.https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...hs3-with-email

Comment

I can't find the settings to allow less secure app. I am at https://myaccount.google.com/security Am I at the wrong place?

Comment

you have to disable 2-Step Verification to allow less secure apps

Comment

Ah, that worked. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by pcburcham View Post
                  you have to disable 2-Step Verification to allow less secure apps
                  That is absolutely not true. Although disabling MFA may work, you are making your account much less safe. Creating unique separate logins for applications that don't support 2-factor has been supported for some time, and is the recommended way to solve this problem.

Comment

You are right. If you disable 2 step verification make your account much less secure. I went through 2 step verification and work.

Comment

I didn't like to turn off 2-factor authorization. However, I have exactly the problem that the OP posted about. The link that concordseer sent in post #5 says to turn an "Allow Less Secure Apps". However, I can't get to that option under https://myaccount.google.com/security So mterry63 and Ken.238 how did you get this to work? Did you turn on "Allow Less Secure Apps"? If so how? Btw, I did generate a app password for HS and used that password.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

That is absolutely not true. Although disabling MFA may work, you are making your account much less safe. Creating unique separate logins for applications that don't support 2-factor has been supported for some time, and is the recommended way to solve this problem.
                        Actually, it is 100% true. The question was about allowing less secure apps and being unable to find the setting. You cannot enable this setting if 2FA is enabled. mulu is a long-time member the forum, and I was operating under the assumption that he knew full well that 2FA was enabled on his Google account, that enabling less secure apps is usually unsafe, that disabling 2FA is usually not good a good idea, that he was troubleshooting and/or knows what he is doing. I was giving him an answer to his question, not a lesson on how changing certain security settings can be bad or intentionally spreading malicious misinformation.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	less_secure.png
Views:	445
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1423595

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                          I didn't like to turn off 2-factor authorization. However, I have exactly the problem that the OP posted about. The link that concordseer sent in post #5 says to turn an "Allow Less Secure Apps". However, I can't get to that option under https://myaccount.google.com/security So mterry63 and Ken.238 how did you get this to work? Did you turn on "Allow Less Secure Apps"? If so how? Btw, I did generate a app password for HS and used that password.
                          Yes turning off TSV in Gmail will allow you to send HS email notifications but I kicked Gmail to touch and now use GMX quite successfully.

If you have concerns about allowing less secure apps settings in Gmail, just set up a Gmail account purely for HS notifications and don’t link it in any way to your principal account.

The majority of broadband providers allow you to use their smtp server to send mail. That alternative would probably make most sense.

Comment

My apologies if you took offense to my reply. My point was only that you can use app passwords and keep 2FA enabled and HomeSeer can access Gmail. Personally I only use Gmail to send mails, and do that rarely. But I've had 2FA enabled the entire time and never have problems with HomeSeer sending mail.

It is not necessary to disable 2FA for HomeSeer to access Gmail, and I would recommend you never disable 2FA for your Google account.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                              My apologies if you took offense to my reply. My point was only that you can use app passwords and keep 2FA enabled and HomeSeer can access Gmail. Personally I only use Gmail to send mails, and do that rarely. But I've had 2FA enabled the entire time and never have problems with HomeSeer sending mail.

It is not necessary to disable 2FA for HomeSeer to access Gmail, and I would recommend you never disable 2FA for your Google account.
                              No worries! I'm not exactly a morning person . I use app passwords for sending email in HS without issue myself. Since using an app password had been conveyed in previous comments in this thread, I assumed he was troubleshooting or simply wanted to use the less secure app option. I guess I should know better than to assume. If one does try to disable 2FA in favor of using less secure apps, which I also do in very specific applications, Google will repeatedly warn that it is not the greatest decision in the world before proceeding to enable it. Although not recommended or required, it is still an option that works and is impossible to misunderstand in terms of security.

Comment

Working...
                              X