Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS3 -> HS4 Pro and... is HS4 ready and out of beta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 -> HS4 Pro and... is HS4 ready and out of beta?

This may be a dumb question, and I can see that HS4 is on the downloads page, but is it actually out of beta now and working okay?
    I've just purchased a HS3 STD to HS4 Pro upgrade but even with half a dozen backups I don't feel like it may be a good time to upgrade!

Am I gonna find loads of bugs ?

It is out of beta since 4.1.0.0 and a couple days ago we got to 4.1.1.0. Upgrade instructions are just above the download link. There are still some bugs but from reading the forum everything major has been taken care of.

Comment

I should add a little bit more. The MOST important part is that you make a copy of the C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3. Copy it somewhere else. If something goes wrong that's your backup.

The upgrade instructions have two options. See here https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...hs4-on-windows These two options start with 1. but that doesn't mean that's all. You also need to follow "Backing up HS3" first.

In my first trial I selected the Anternate Method but none of my plugins were recognized. So then I uninstalled everything, did take the backup copy of HS3 and copied it back into the program files directory (still leaving a copy somewhere else). I also renamed to folder to HS4 because I don't like to have HS4 installed in a folder that's called HS3. Then I followed the Preferred Method and this time all plugins were recognized.

For the registration part the steps aren't super clear. The first license you enter is your new HS4 license. The second one is your HS3 license. In the MyHS step there are fields to create an account. However, if you already have one you can leave these fields empty. Go to the MyHS page, log in with your existing credential and go to manage account. There you should see your HS3 license key listed. Change that to your HS4 key. Then go back to the HS4 registration website and just click on Continue.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartyPants View Post
        Am I gonna find loads of bugs ?
        Overall it is fantastic - they took most feedback onboard so HS4 shaped up really really nicely, you'll love it after a quick bit of adjustment.

Just don't do any advanced status/value editing of devices - I won't discuss why because HST are deleting all posts that do - so avoid that as you'll be filled with regret from the damage that occurs.

Comment

Are they really taking such posts down? I never had a post removed, at least as far as I know. Having said that, they had that beta HS4 forum which they moved. That broke all the links on google. Also once in a while I get a message that I am not allowed to access a post. That even applies to posts that I created. When I go to my profile and access the post from there it works but the link in the email notification doesn't.

Comment

Are they really taking such posts down?
            mulu Yes, but only when you point out something they don't like. Happened to me too and a few others. It's called "forum moderation". Generally, if you behave and report bugs or problems privately, you are going to be fine. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

good experience here (linux). its been stable. the only issue really was during the upgrade (which is trivial) I had to reach out to support to get the upgraded system working through myhs.homeseer.com as it's not covered in the install guide. needed to update the license ID.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                Are they really taking such posts down? I never had a post removed, at least as far as I know. Having said that, they had that beta HS4 forum which they moved. That broke all the links on google. Also once in a while I get a message that I am not allowed to access a post. That even applies to posts that I created. When I go to my profile and access the post from there it works but the link in the email notification doesn't.
                I think some people Posts does capture mod attention easier than other

Comment

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post

mulu Yes, but only when you point out something they don't like. Happened to me too and a few others. It's called "forum moderation". Generally, if you behave and report bugs or problems privately, you are going to be fine. Nothing to worry about.

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post
                    Hmm, I submitted half a dozen bugs and improvement suggestions yesterday. Maybe I will get on the bad-boy list... Then again, I didn't write about it publicly so maybe I will be spared..

Comment

I'll wait 6 months, hopefully by then some of the bigger bugs will be ironed out .
                      I'm not going to be the guinea pig for their half-baked 'still should be in beta' production release, had enough of that **** with Microsoft/Apple.

This mindset > Have an official list of BETA testers but then force the whole community to BETA test without them knowing , well, we do know!
                      It not makes for a happy customer.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartyPants View Post
                        I'll wait 6 months, hopefully by then some of the bigger bugs will be ironed out .
                        I'm not going to be the guinea pig for their half-baked 'still should be in beta' production release, had enough of that **** with Microsoft/Apple.

This mindset > Have an official list of BETA testers but then force the whole community to BETA test without them knowing , well, we do know!
                        It not makes for a happy customer.
                        I think the situation is much better than that. At least one of the bugs I submitted already existed in HS3 (it's serious in my opinion but HS apparently doesn't think so). A lot of the other stuff are improvements that would result in more efficiency or at least get back to the efficiencies from HS3. It's more about how data is presented and explained rather than how things are actually done. Having an installer that does the HS3 to HS4 upgrade automatically would be nice. Every big company has this but for some reason HS thinks it's ok to again have people go through a pretty manual process to upgrade. Once you are over that it seems fine, though. Having said all that, while I did switch to HS4 I will start from scratch once they come out with their new z-wave plugin. It's going to be A LOT of work so I don't want to take this on until they have those features out.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                          In my first trial I selected the Anternate Method but none of my plugins were recognized. So then I uninstalled everything, did take the backup copy of HS3 and copied it back into the program files directory (still leaving a copy somewhere else). I also renamed to folder to HS4 because I don't like to have HS4 installed in a folder that's called HS3. Then I followed the Preferred Method and this time all plugins were recognized.
                          mulu At what point did you rename the directory? After the import - Step 6 or before you started the whole upgrade? And all plugins still work?

Like you I wouldn't want HS4 to be running out of a directoy called HS3.

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I have 50 Zwave nodes and I am using the plug for the ELK MIG security system. My system upgraded without any issues and has been running fine for the last 3 days. I have several brands of motion detectors, switches, garage door controller, Kwikset dead bolt locks, and a Yale lever lock along with the ELK security system with 32 zones.. All Nodes and Events are working correctly since the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                              mulu At what point did you rename the directory? After the import - Step 6 or before you started the whole upgrade? And all plugins still work?

Like you I wouldn't want HS4 to be running out of a directoy called HS3.

Robert
                              I did rename the directory between step 2 and 3, i.e. after uninstalling HS3 and before installing HS4. There is one disadvantage renaming the directory. In my HSTouch designs some of the graphics point to the HS3/html/images directory so I have to change those to HS4. But this should be pretty easy if you open the xml project file and just do a find/replace. You definitely want to make a backup of your project before doing this, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X