Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter list wasting screen space

Hi All,

I have just upgraded to HS4, and by and large it went OK.

Still debugging, and a few devices not working yet.

One thing that really pisses me off is the filter display. Maybe the way I have my HS system set up is different from most, but if I decide to filter for, say, one floor and all rooms, I get something like in the attached wasting half my monitor space. See attached screen shot.

Is there any way of stopping HS4 showing this crazy filter list? Maybe I have set my HS3 up a strange way, but it worked for me, was helpful in finding things amongst the 700 or so devices I had listed and didn't create an issue. But in HS4, I lose half my screen real estate displaying an entirely useless list.

Please tell me there is some way of getting rid of this stupid filter list......

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

You do not need to select all of the rooms to see all rooms on a specific floor; deselecting all rooms means no room filtering so all the rooms will be listed as per your filtered floors. I know it's backwards from the way HS3 does it but it seems to work fine for me, once you understand how it works.
    HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
    Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
    Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
    Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
    Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
    Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
    Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

OK thanks - maybe I just need to get my head around how it works, and how the filtering differs from HS3.

Comment

I had the same issue. As dbrunt said, it works differently in HS4.

I actually had a similar post and somebody indicated I am an old fogey not knowing how filters work these days (he said it a bit less direct but not by much...). There is actually some truth to it. When you look at filters on market sites like Amazon, no check box means everything is selected and setting check boxes means that now everything is deselected except for the ones you selected. I have used that many times before but until moving from HS3 to HS4 I never realized how illogical that actually is. It's more convenient, though. I have to admit that... The whole HS4 update is targeted at the "do everything from your phone" generation so that change with selections actually follows that line of thought...

Comment

Actually, the old dropdowns from HS3 were much cleaner. This is a clear waste of space.

Comment

I've already submitted a feature request to have the filter area be collapsible or moved to a side view pane that could be pulled out/retracted or something.. some way to hide/unhide it, but HS is still working out bugs with the odd nice goodie thrown in to try and keep us happy. I've only ever had one row maybe two. I suggest that with some design and forethought/planning on the part of user with regard to organizing rooms, filters, and categories that the size of the filtering row should be able be kept to a minimum. But I do not have hundreds of devices so I would be interested in seeing someone's essential view where they have 4, 5 or 6 rows in their filter...

Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
            Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS

Comment

Here's a CSS hack (put in html/custom.css) to increase the width of the area and reduce the size of the chips:

Code:
              /* Fix huge filter area */
              div.chips {
                padding-bottom: 0.5rem !important;
              }

div.chip {
                margin-bottom: 0.2rem !important;
                margin-right: 0.5rem !important;
                font-size: 10px !important;
                height: 24px !important;
                line-height: 26px !important;
              }

div.chip i.close {
                line-height: 26px !important;
              }

div.col-lg-2.col-2 {
                flex: 6% !important;
                max-width: 6% !important;
              }

div.col-lg-3.col-8 {
                flex: 35% !important;
                max-width: 35% !important;
              }

Comment

Another thing would be the ability to save a filter - with the categories this would make for decent dashboards. Add in the option to also save list or grid view in the filter and it could be quite cool.

(once they fix sorting, random choice of which device buttons to show, missing mini-statuses in grid view, etc etc)

Comment

rge Thanks, keep hacking away!

Comment

Originally posted by rge View Post
                    Here's a CSS hack (put in html/custom.css) to increase the width of the area and reduce the size of the chips:
                    I added that to custom.css and the web page is not using it.

Comment

Originally posted by mkropp View Post

I added that to custom.css and the web page is not using it.
                      Access (your site)/custom.css to check it's there, which will also refresh your cache.

Comment

Originally posted by rge View Post

Access (your site)/custom.css to check it's there, which will also refresh your cache.
                        That did the trick! Thank you.

Comment

Or in Firefox, shift+reload page forces it to reload custom.css...

Comment

I agree, in a lot of ways HS4 is actually worse than HS3. Am still struggling with a lot of things which just worked on HS3..... and this filter thing occupying half my screen is one of them, what a nonsense....

Comment

You are not using the filters correctly. If you want one floor, and all rooms then just select that one floor and ALL rooms on that floor will display. If you don't select a room or floor filter then the list is UNFILTERED and you see ALL. If on the other hand you have 20 rooms and only want to see 18 of them then yes, you will have to select those 18 rooms and then the filtered list gets cluttered. It it NOT a SELECTION list, it is a FILTERED list...

Comment

Working...
                              X