Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIll HS4 PRO bring a new HS4 Touch designer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is no such thing as hs4touch designer, the current homeseer touch works with both homeseer 3 and HS4.
    From what HST as said it will continue to do so.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
      there is no such thing as hs4touch designer, the current homeseer touch works with both homeseer 3 and HS4.
      I think the subject line and discussion already acknowledges that point.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

Again, that cat is out of the bag. A non-HST touchscreen designer already exists.

I paid the upgrade price for HS3 Pro to HS4 Pro (along with everyone else who upgraded or purchased HS4) without any commitment from HST to provide an updated Touchscreen Designer/Client. I don't think HS4 Pro sales are tied directly to the Designer/Client software. As I mentioned previously, they haven't put any substantial effort into that platform in some time. Their costs for HSTouch are relatively nil at this point.
        Cost does not necessarily equate to value.

Let me ask you this. If you produced a piece of software and it cost you $10,000 to create that software and then sold that software for $100 per copy, Would you stop accepting money for software after you sold 100 copies and give it away for free? After selling 100 copies at $100 each copy you have recouped your initial investment.

Let's add in some profit for you. If you sold and additional 100 copies you would now have made $10,000 in profit thus doubling your investment. You have not made any additional investment in the product so any sales are pure profit. At this point would you start giving away each additional copy? At this point you have recouped your initial investment and made an additional $10,000 in profit. Why make more profit?

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

Cost does not necessarily equate to value.

Let me ask you this. If you produced a piece of software and it cost you $10,000 to create that software and then sold that software for $100 per copy, Would you stop accepting money for software after you sold 100 copies and give it away for free? After selling 100 copies at $100 each copy you have recouped your initial investment.

Let's add in some profit for you. If you sold and additional 100 copies you would now have made $10,000 in profit thus doubling your investment. You have not made any additional investment in the product so any sales are pure profit. At this point would you start giving away each additional copy? At this point you have recouped your initial investment and made an additional $10,000 in profit. Why make more profit?
          I won't dispute any of your points, they are all valid. Certainly cost doesn't equate to value, but directly impacts value. For example, if you stopped putting significant development effort into your product 2 years ago, every sale since then is mostly profit (assuming development costs are your main driver, which may not be the case).

I'll go back to the OP that I commented on. "Hit to the wallet" doesn't mean potential profit to me. You don't have potential profit in your wallet.

I do in fact think that all the changes HST has been making recently are directly related to realizing more profit, but the target audience is completely different than the current audience. They want to attract more younger people who do everything on their phone. Most of the people who've owned this product since V1 or V2 aren't in that demographic.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

I do in fact think that all the changes HST has been making recently are directly related to realizing more profit, but the target audience is completely different than the current audience. They want to attract more younger people who do everything on their phone. Most of the people who've owned this product since V1 or V2 aren't in that demographic.
            AND, therein might lie the conundrum. My son and his friends are in "the target audience" and they are wholly unimpressed with my Homeseer setup because it doesn't "work out of the box." The IT professional ones consider the package to be non-professional (as in: amateur radio) where the intent is to screw around with it for forever because the activity is all about the ride, not the destination. They use Google or Amazon.

Based on my experience with that population, I don't think a zippy mobile interface (that I've been told is ugly on a desktop) is enough to capture their attention.

Don't get me wrong, though. The old guy sees some really cool enhancements in HS4, but the new GUI isn't one of them.
            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
            Home Assistant 2024.3
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
              With the flight to single board computers mostly based on the ARM processor I strongly doubt it would make sense to invest time and energy into creating a version of HSTouch for HS4. I’ve never used HSTouch but do have a license for it. I doubt I’ve missed much either.

There are plenty of open source front ends out there that can be developed to use with your HS server if you were that way inclined. Would HS open source HSTouch. Possibly. Would it be worth it. I doubt it.
              Yeah, I'd dump HS in a second if they got rid of HSTouch. Frankly I think it's a little suspect that they even sell a pro version without an updated version of HSTouch given that's one of the major perks for the software option. Yes the current version works. But it is always an exercise of workarounds when using it. It's a WYSIWG that is only mostly what you see is what you get. For instance, build a screen. Deploy it to an android device and try to make anything look like what it looks like on the designer. Dimensionally, it's all over the place. Font sizes... Also can we please scale the designer work space so that we are not spending the whole day scrolling around. There is a LOT that needs to be fixed.
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
              Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
              Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Maybe we all should start reporting HS Touch related bugs to their system so they can see that we are using it and that there are issues. After all, we paid for it and it is supported product. Maybe that will move the needle? I have a few to share..

Comment

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post
                  Maybe we all should start reporting HS Touch related bugs to their system so they can see that we are using it and that there are issues. After all, we paid for it and it is supported product. Maybe that will move the needle? I have a few to share..
                  That sir is an excellent idea!
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
                  Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
                  Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by Hiekie View Post
                    See the topic title..
                    WIll HS4 PRO bring a new HS4 Touch designer?
                    Thinking about the HS3Pro to HS4Pro upgrade.
                    We do use customized interfaces on out mobile devices (Thumbs up for the Touch designer)
                    will this be upgraded to? are there any possible things to watch while upgrading? will the customized interfaces on the mobile devices continue to work?
                    I honestly don't think the original posters questions were ever answered. So here goes.

Will HS4 PRO bring a new HS4 Touch designer?

The answer is no. HSTouch designer is a separate product from either HS3 or HS4. It works with both. There is no need for HomeSeer to release a new version.

Your current phone clients will continue to work with HS4. I had to change a couple of things on my install mainly because I created a new virtual machine for HS4 that had a different host name. So my HS3:android speaker client became HS4:android. Also if there is anything that references the full file path in your designs they may need to be updated to the new file path because HS4 is installed in a different folder from HS3.

In general, when I updated from HS3 to HS4, all my HSTouch clients just continued working.

If you do decide to upgrade, immediately select the list view on your device page, it will look just like it did in HS3.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                      Sadly, I can't get the designer to work with HS4. I just get this:
                      Unable to connect to the HomeSeer Server. Check your
                      connection defaults from the Tools menu. You will only have
                      limited functionality in the designer while disconnected from
                      the server. The server rejected the username or password.

Tried connected directly and through MyHomeseer.

Comment

happnatious1 Actually something might be coming. Check out this thread! It looks like answer is Yes. Sometimes in the future.

https://bit.ly/3hzr9WO

Will HS4 PRO bring a new HS4 Touch designer?

The answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

I can also just write my own aspx pages and circumvent HSTouch Designer. But that's not the point. HSTouch Designer allows non-programmers to create totally customized screens (mostly) without programming. For quite a few people this is a significant point for purchasing HS in the first place.
                          Agree here. I’m an IT professional but strong on the hardware and network side. I’m not a developer or programmer and having HSTouch allows me to have custom controls on my Touchscreens in the house and mobile devices. It’s a big selling point for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mkropp View Post

I’ve been using the designer with HS4 w/o issue. Just adding perspective here to let you know it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by mkropp View Post

Did you convert your license at MyHS to HS4?
                              Have you added your MyHS credentials to HS4?
                              Does the MyHS work when not connected to your LAN?
                              HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
                              Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
                              Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
                              Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
                              Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
                              Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
                              Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

Originally posted by dbrunt View Post

Did you convert your license at MyHS to HS4?
                                Have you added your MyHS credentials to HS4?
                                Does the MyHS work when not connected to your LAN?
                                MyHS has my HS4 license.
                                Don't see where to add MyHS credentials to HS4.
                                HSTouch and HSMobile both work fine when not connected to LAN

Comment

Working...
                                X