No announcement yet.

HS3/PRO to HS4/PRO on Hometroller SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying a different route and hope to post some results later today.

Comment

No clue. I only see a check update button. I hate having to wait 24-48 hours for a response

Comment

I worked with Grover on his SEL upgrade and was able to fix it fairly easily. He mentioned sharing what we did to help everyone else out. (thank you Grover). This should solve a lot of the issues you're experiencing. If it does not, please dont hesitate to PM me or reach out via our portal.

You will need SSH access to your controller. You can accomplish this by using Putty. Follow these instructions:

Login via homeseer

Enter
        Code:
        cd /var/www/php
        sudo nano UpdateRecovery.sh
        You will see reference to a Recovery.tar

Change sudo wget www.homeseer.com/linux/recovery/Recovery.tar to sudo wget https://homeseer.com/hometroller/sel/RecoverySEL.tar
        Change sudo tar -xvf Recovery.tar to sudo tar -xvf RecoverySEL.tar
        Change sudo rm -f Recovery.tar to sudo tar -f RecoverySEL.tar
        CTRL + O will save the file and CTRL + C will close it.

Run the script with
        Code:
        sudo sh UpdateRecovery.sh
        You will now have the updated Maintenance page. If you navigate to that, you will see the Upgrade HS4 section. Proceed through Step 1 and Step 2 now.

Comment

What is putty? Thanks for the info

Comment

Nevermind, I googled it. Thanks

Comment

I can confirm this resolved my issue and we were done with the update in about 5 minutes! Thank you for your help Jon! I greatly appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by smashburn View Post
                What is putty? Thanks for the info
                In case someone else needs it as well: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

You connect via the IP address.

Comment

Having trouble logging into putty......It says log in through Homeseer but Ive tried every logon and password combo I got. Am I missing something?

Comment

smashburn - At some point, you set the master password for homeseer. The default login id is: homeseer
                    Then you need to use the master password you set when you first installed it.

Comment

Originally posted by smashburn View Post
                      Having trouble logging into putty......It says log in through Homeseer but Ive tried every logon and password combo I got. Am I missing something?
                      The default UN/PW is homeseer/hsthsths3

Comment

on hour 8 trying to upgrade from hs3pro to hs4pro on sel. Cannot get the maintenance page to move beyond 1.0. I have followed all the instructions from Jon-post 18). I am a MAC user and have tried thru terminal but cannot get any of my passwords to work even the one on the bottom of the unit and the one on my master list in my gun safe. I hooked a kvm directly to the sel and could get in with my known password--why does the same password not work on terminal? I changed all the code lines as instructed and did ctrl + O and finally used f3 to save the file. I could not close the file. had chat with Matt and sent him screen shot of where I was and he said I was trying to run the script inside the script--sorry last coding I did was 55 years ago with fortran. I am not comfortable using putty on my MAC--should not have to with built in terminal. Looked at instructions for installing putty via MACPORT etc and just do not want to create more of a monster on my main computer.
                        any help would be most appreciated. I do not feel that the customer (14 years on Homeseer) should have to rewrite code to make things work.
                        I am concerned now that I have corrupted the original update recovery file.

Comment

redfish - I sent you a message.

Comment

So here is an update on upgrading to HS4 with a MAC. One should be able to use terminal on a MAC as Putty. Instructions for putty for MAC addresses several steps some involving downloading other app just to get to putty. My problem in terminal was that the SEL would not recognize the password. So I hooked up the KVM directly to the SEL and downloaded putty using chrome on the SEL. After too many attempts to change the script Grover acquired from Jon at help desk, I figured I had corrupted the file. Every time I changed the script I saved it and the original was gone. Next I decided to go back to version .550 from the .551 instructed to use. No luck with .550 so upgraded to beta .551. connected thru putty directly on the SEL and the original script magically appeared. Made the changes (triple checked spelling) and hit F3 to save and F2 to close. The CTRL + O and CTRL + C did not work for me. With the corrected file closed ran sudo sh updaterecovery.sh and closed putty and went to find.homeseer.com and version 1.2 of the maintenance page was magically there.
                            followed the back up HS3 and install HS4. Still working on the SEL directly with chrome I got the registration page but it was grayed out and I could not enter credentials. Emailed Matt for more help and he suggested I use chrome directly from my MAC--forgot I even had a version of chrome available. Went to the SEL ip address via chrome/MAC and the registration page opened and was ready for me to fill in my information.
                            Maybe if I had gone to chrome directly on my MAC much of this diatribe would not exist. Maybe my venture and this discussion will help someone. I still am at a loss for why terminal would not recognize my SEL password or why linked directly to the SEL would not open the registration page but I have spent enough time getting to this point and I look forward to what HS4PRO has to offer.
                            Thanks to Matt at the help desk and to Grover for starting this discussion and his offer to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jseer View Post

The default UN/PW is homeseer/hsthsths3
                              Would I just replace the UN/PW with my admin credentials?

My admin UN and PW are different than that when I remote into my controller. When I attempt to use my admin UN/PW through PuTTY though, I get access denied still. First time using PuTTY.

Comment

I have an SEL box apparently on HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.551 and some familiarity with command line tools but no real love. I say apparently because I installed HS4 last evening.

Yesterday after several hours search I found this thread. I had the outdated "maintenance" page issue and jseer's instructions eventually did solve that issue. I ran the now updated maintenance page to do the HS4 install. I "thought" I had a successful v4 install, as I was using the newer v4 interface. Looked OK, everything was still working.

This morning I appear to be back on v3.

Current Date/Time: 8/16/2020 11:53:41 AM
                                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.551
                                Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerSELv3 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 35 Minutes 17 Seconds
                                But Homeseer should have been up since the last reboot the previous night. It ran all the morning routines this morning and I didn't reboot it today.

Anyone have an idea what gives before I do another update/install? I thought I even checked to see the version installed after the update, but it was late and maybe not. It WAS the v4 "tiled" interface though.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X