Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migrating Z-Wave Controllers under HS4 - Works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating Z-Wave Controllers under HS4 - Works!

I'd like to start playing with Zigbee devices under HS4. I've purchased the Nortek HUSBZB-1 and currently using an HS SmartStick+. Has anyone successfully migrated to the new Z-Wave/Zigbee stick? Before I start guessing how to do it, I thought I'd ask first... (which isn't normal for me!)

Thanks!

John

You should be good. HUSBZB-1 is one of the Z-Wave controllers that the HS Z-Wave restore works with.

I picked one up a couple years ago. I've successfully restored to it, although only as a test. Never used it extensively.

First you want to make a current backup of your existing controller. On the Plugins->Z-Wave->Controller Management page, expand the controller then on the 'Actions' pulldown select 'BackUp this interface'. Running this action will create a file *.ZWave with the HomeID and current date in the filename.

Add the controller on the Plugins->Z-Wave->Controller Management page as before. For the Interface Model, you can use 'Generic Serial Controller'.

Once it's running, on it's 'Actions' pulldown, select 'Restore a Network to this Interface'. Select the file from the last step to restore from and run the action. This will produce a list 'Restoring node information for node 1...', etc. for each of your nodes. (Note: if the messages instead say 'Restoring Data 0...', etc. your controller is NOT supported by the HS Z-Wave restore).

Disable you old interface by clicking on it's green checkmark icon, then unplug it (Note: I've found that leaving a controller with the same HomeID plugged in, even if disabled, can interfere with Z-Wave comms).

At this point, your new controller has the node information copied to it's non-volatile memory. However the routing information isn't part of the backup/restore. Getting that right is the is part I'm a little unsure of. I've tried it as a test and was ultimately successful, but had to fiddle a bit to get there so not exactly sure which steps got me there.

- on the Actions pulldown, run 'Fully Optimize the Network', then run 'Test Node Connectivity on the Network'
    - check Plugins->Z-Wave->Node Information page. If it looks good (not a bunch of red messages) you're probably good.
    - if not, try Reset Z-Wave data: go to Plugins->Manage, click on Z-Wave link. On the page that opens (/ZWaveControllers), click 'Reset Z-Wave Data' button.

If all else fails, you can always switch back to the old controller.

Comment

Thanks Zwolfpack, I'll give this a try tomorrow... BTW like the user name, trying to figure out the historical meaning to Z-Wave??

Comment

Originally posted by johnoc View Post
        Thanks Zwolfpack, I'll give this a try tomorrow... BTW like the user name, trying to figure out the historical meaning to Z-Wave??
        Zensys invented Z-Wave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by johnoc View Post
          BTW like the user name, trying to figure out the historical meaning to Z-Wave??
          Lol, no relation ... "Zwölfpack" was the name of my old "Battlebots" robotics team ... zwölf = twelve, pack = pack

Comment

How funny... My history studies had me thinking group attack!! 😀

Comment

Zwolfpack, your instructions for migrating to the Zigbee/Z-Wave stick worked great. You were definitely right about not having both interfaces plugged in at the same time after the restore. The biggest PIA was finding the Windows Drivers for the HUSBZB-1, it took about a hour of searching and believe it or not i found the instructions off a "Customer Review" of the stick on Amazon.com... Anyways, thanks again!

Comment

Good to hear - great job!

Comment

Working...
                X