Still no way to Group Devices on Device Manager Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no way to Group Devices on Device Manager Page

Despite HS4 launch I still have many devices that are grouped by themselves despite rescanning and no way to group devices together by choice. I had hoped that would have been
    worked on by now. Tried Jon00 grouping but it only works for virtual devices and tried Mr. Happy script that reverts back when z wave plugin loads. Would like to be
    able to group devices as I want them to be grouped.

Categories? Just a thought, I don't use them myself.

Comment

Categories solved a lot of grouping display issues for me. I purposely make them ALL CAPS so they're easier to find when filtering.

Comment

I've just started to setup HS4 and this is a problem I have just run into. We need the ability to define what to group by. I have a device that controls two things in different places. Having them grouped together makes no sense for my situation. Didn't like the category view, especially since after adding a few it creates a large wrapped row at the top.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	groups.PNG
Views:	441
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1408640

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rdc View Post
          Tried Jon00 grouping but it only works for virtual devices
          Jon00's grouping tool does work for Z-Wave devices - use the Root of the device as the parent and then tick everything you need as a child. Have repaired a few devices exactly this way

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post

Jon00's grouping tool does work for Z-Wave devices - use the Root of the device as the parent and then tick everything you need as a child. Have repaired a few devices exactly this way
            You are correct but I think the important word is 'repair' and another word to add is 'caution' which I'm pretty sure Jon00 mentions in his docs. Jon00's grouping tool will work on any devices but the outcome may cause issues with devices owned by a plug-in that expects to see the grouping as they originally set it.

It's ok to repair Z-Wave groups where a child device has become un-grouped. This use to happen a lot due to a bug in the Z-Wave pi but was cured sometime ago. I had a feature in my plug-ins that repaired the grouping automatically because I got pissed off with the Z-Wave groups being lost. After working with Rich to identify the bug in the Z-Wave pi, I was able to remove that function from my plug-ins.

It is also ok to add additional virtual devices as children to a Z-Wave group. I often do that.

However, don't try adding Z-Wave children or parents to other groups or you will likely cause issues as you break the original grouping.

This generally applies to most devices owned by plug-ins depending on whether the plug-in relies on the grouping it has set up when creating the devices.

Steve

Comment

Yes you can use Jon00 grouping to group non virtual nodes and devices but when you do that, the nodes are no longer seen by Z seer and not present in that program to optimize.
              That got me worried so I broke up the groups I crated with Jon00 plugin and then the nodes came back in Z seer

Comment

Working...
              X