No way to gracefully shut down or reboot running on Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way to gracefully shut down or reboot running on Windows 10

It seems the only way to shut down HS4 on Windows is to use the Task Manager or reboot the machine. Then the log says "HomeSeer was not shut down successfully the previous time it was started." So how can it be shut down "successfully"?

If you can run a batch file command, try this. It works for HS3 at least. I run this from my UPS shutdown script.
    Code:
    curl -X POST -F "scriptcmd=hs.shutdown()" -F "runscript=Execute Command" "http://localhost:80/ControlPanel"
    Replace 80 with the port number in use.

The curl command wasn't originally in Windows 10, but has been added in recent builds. On my Win7 Hometroller, I installed it from here: https://curl.haxx.se/windows/

Comment

Originally posted by ChasNH View Post
      It seems the only way to shut down HS4 on Windows is to use the Task Manager or reboot the machine. Then the log says "HomeSeer was not shut down successfully the previous time it was started." So how can it be shut down "successfully"?
      Did you try the standard widows method of clicking the X in the window controls? Same way that HS3 shutdown an almost any other windows software shuts down. Or is it something else like it hangs during shutdown?

Comment

There are also several plug-ins and utilities that will allow you to shut HS down and restart it programmatically.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

srodgers: HS4 was being started by the Task Scheduler. Therefore, no HS4 window was on the desktop. At this point it is now getting started with Startup Delayer by r2 Stiudios so there is a window. After fighting with my office machine's Avast, I managed to get Remote Desktop Connection working so all is well.

Uncle Michael: As of this writing, there don't seem to be any available for HS4. I have read about numerous plug-ins with that capability but none are listed now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasNH View Post
            Uncle Michael: As of this writing, there don't seem to be any available for HS4. I have read about numerous plug-ins with that capability but none are listed now.
            According to the HS4 product page, BLShutdown for HS3 is compatible with HS4.
            https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...ilities?page=1

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              According to the HS4 product page, BLShutdown for HS3 is compatible with HS4.
              https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...ilities?page=1
              I'm running BLShutdown and can confirm that it works in HS4. I have an event that reboots weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by KandB View Post

I'm running BLShutdown and can confirm that it works in HS4. I have an event that reboots weekly.
                Interesting. I just loaded BLShutdown. When I try a restart, it shuts down but doesn't start up again.

Comment

I just tried that one and you're right - "Shutdown and restart homeseer" doesn't seem to work. "Shutdown Homeseer" and "Shutdown Homeseer & reboot computer" work but not that one. That's probably worth posting on Blade's topic.

Comment

OK, so there is supposedly a way to shut down gracefully. That is to click on the little X i8n the upper right corner of the application window. I have done that twice. Both times files got corrupted. Fortunately I did a backup immediately before the last time, so I was able to fix the mess.

So I repeat my question: Is there a way to gracefully shut down HS4? (BTW, it is running on a Windows 10 Pro machine that seems to work fine in all other ways.)

Comment

Working...
                    X