X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event help needed - Cooper 5 scene controller

SOLVED! See My post at the bottom...

Hi Everyone -

I'm in the process of upgrading my secondary system to HS4 on a Pi4. I'm actually starting from scratch and completely scrapping my previous HS3 install so this is a blank sheet of paper.

I have a cooper 5-scene controller that mounts in a wall switch box, and I am trying to get a fairly straight-forward function to work. I am almost all the way there, but stuck on one thing. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to do the following:
    • When I press button 1 on the Cooper 5-scene controller it turns on the kitchen lights and illuminates the Button 1 light on the controller. - THIS WORKS.
    • When I press button 1 on the Cooper 5-scene controller again it turns off the kitchen lights and turns off the Button 1 light on the controller. - THIS WORKS.
    • If the lights are on -When I press the Bottom of the Kitchen dimmer switch it turns off the kitchen lights and turns off the Button 1 light on the controller. - THIS WORKS.
    • This is where I have a problem - When I create an event to be triggered by pressing the top of the Kitchen switch, I want it to turn on the kitchen lights and illuminate the Button 1 light on the controller. - THIS FAILS - when I create this event, the light turns on and so does button 1 but it lock the light on, so I cannot turn it off. I have tried:
      • The event for turning the cooper button 1 ON when the kitchen light is turned on is as follows:
        • IF Main Kitchen Kitchen lights Light was set and has a value that is not equal to Off
          THEN Set Device: Main Great Room Cooper Wiring Static Controller Scene Controller Button 1 to Scene On
    I am suspecting that, since the kitchen switch is a dimmer, that when the device goes from 100% to 99%, for example, it triggers the Cooper controller to do scene 1, which apparently turns the light on - so I cannot turn it off. I'm sure I am creating a logic flaw, but not seeing how to do what I want to do - any thoughts?

Instead of turning the scene on, try using the Z-Wave Action Turn ON an Indicator. That should turn on the LED without triggering the scene behavior that is interfering.

Comment

These controllers are notorious for not working as advertised...

I have several of these scene controllers and I have tried ways to independently control the light on the buttons without success including

hs.SetDeviceValuebyRef(2821, 0, False)

and

Zwave action Turn on Indicator or Turn Off Indicator

If I turn on the light, it is as if I pushed the button and the scene deploys.

The reason I want independent control is because I have more than one scene controller controlling the same scenes and the buttons and lights get out of sync.

If anyone knows of a solution I would love to know

Comment

Originally posted by czagar View Post
        Instead of turning the scene on, try using the Z-Wave Action Turn ON an Indicator. That should turn on the LED without triggering the scene behavior that is interfering.
        This unfortunately will deploy the scene.

EDIT. this is now working properly

Comment

Really appreciate the response... I would not have found that setting without your suggestion. So I modified the event as yo suggested - it does indeed turn the button 1 indicator ON - however, when I press Button 1, I would like it to then turn the kitchen light off. it does not.

My event to do that is as follows:
          IF Main Great Room Cooper Wiring Static Controller Scene Controller Button 1 changes and becomes Scene Off
          THEN Set Device: Main Kitchen Kitchen lights Light to Off

Should that not turn the kitchen light off? (as well as the button 1 indicator?) Or do I need to convert this to Z-Wave Action as well? Thanks for your tutelage!

Ed

Comment

Before I posted, I actually did a test and turning on the indicator did not trigger the scene. I do agree that these things are remarkably temperamental, and perhaps this is yet another one of their variable behaviors. The only thing I miss from my Insteon is their multi-button wall keypads.

Comment

Before I posted, I actually did a test and turning on the indicator did not trigger the scene. I do agree that these things are remarkably temperamental, and perhaps this is yet another one of their variable behaviors. The only thing I miss from my Insteon is their multi-button wall keypads.
              I wish this would work for me. Is there anything special about your setup that would give a clue to your success?

EDIT: I just tested this again and now it is working properly! I am 100% sure it wasn't working before so maybe there has been a change in the Z-wave plugin.... regardless, this is great news.

Comment

This is for a switch, not a dimmer, so more may be needed.

I have two Coopers and a switch in a scene. The scene controller consistently turns the switch on and off. To get that to happen, the scenes had to be programmed in a slightly odd way. I think https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...ogram-properly or something linked from it covers whatever that trick is.

Once I had them working, I think the Cooper buttons were all in sync and changes statuses were right in HomeSeer. I think the problem was that the switch would not change the indicators, so now I have these events:

If Switch just had its value set or changed
                AND IF Switch has a value equal to On
                Then Set the indicator for Keypad 2 Button 5 to On
                Then Set the indicator for Keypad 2 Button 5 to On

If Switch just had its value set or changed
                AND IF Switch has a value equal to OFF
                Then Set the indicator for Keypad 2 Button 5 to OFF
                Then Set the indicator for Keypad 2 Button 5 to OFF

I wrote these really early on, so there may be better ways, but these seem to do the trick.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I was finally able to configure it the way that I wanted. I thought I would share my solution in case it helps anyone else.

Here's the scenario:
                  • I'm running HS4
                  • I have a cooper 5-scene controller
                  • ]I have Homeseer dimmer controlling the Kitchen lights
                  • When I press button 1 on the Cooper 5-scene controller I wanted it to turn on the kitchen lights and illuminates the Button 1 light on the controller.
                  • When I press button 1 on the Cooper 5-scene controller again I wanted it to turn off the kitchen lights and turns off the Button 1 light on the controller..
                  • ]If the lights are on -When I press the Bottom of the Kitchen dimmer switch I wanted it to turn off the kitchen lights as well as turn off the Button 1 light on the controller..
                  • When I press the top of the Kitchen switch, I wanted it to turn on the kitchen lights and illuminate the Button 1 light on the controller..

Here here is how I solved it. I created the following events:

Button 1 - kitchen lights OFF:
                  IF Main Great Room Cooper Wiring Static Controller Scene Controller Button 1 changes and becomes Scene Off
                  THEN Set Device: Main Kitchen Kitchen lights Light to Off

Button 1 - kitchen lights ON:
                  If Main-Great Room-Cooper Wiring Static Controller Had its Value Set to...Scene On
                  THEN Set Device: Main Kitchen Kitchen lights Light to Om

Kitchen turn Cooper Button1 Scene OFF:
                  IF Main Kitchen Kitchen lights Light changes and becomes Off
                  THEN Turn OFF the indicator on Main Great Room Scene Controller Button 1 Button 1

Kitchen turn Cooper Button1 Scene ON:
                  IF Main Kitchen Kitchen lights Light changes and becomes a value in the range of 2 to Unknown 100
                  THEN Set the indicator for Main Great Room Scene Controller Button 1 Button 1 to ON

These events seem to make the scenario I described at the top function properly. I appreciate everyone's response and feedback to this. I hope my solution is of help to someone else...

Have a great day!

Ed

Comment

The "Has Value Set To" trigger has been great for doing what you said.
                    Although I don't use the Cooper Controller (I do have one in my parts stash) I do trigger events like you described with the "Value Set" trigger - very handy!
                    Dan-O
                    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

I just migrated from HS3 to HS4 and can not get my Cooper 5 button scene controllers to work anymore. Have tried starting from scratch with the event and a simple on/off but I can not trigger off of a button.Have removed them and then included them again.

They behave differently when associating them; previously in HS3 would have to associate one button at a time - in HS4 when I start to associate - all five buttons are added at once.

Comment

To be fair - I upgraded a system I bought in 2016-ish time-frame; the HometrollerSEL running LINUX and HS3. I had not touched the LINUX OS since then (unless it updated on its own during the last 4 years). As such I have had to update everything over this past week and am not in the least LINUX savvy so that does not help.

HS4 loaded and runs and talks to devices.

My issue with triggering isn't just the Cooper scene controller - I can not trigger an event off of any switches. I can manually trigger and the events work. Am pretty sure something is problematic with the upgrade steps. The upgrade documentation needs work - finding things to run each day from a variety of Homeseer help references. Especially relevant to the hometrollerSEL running LINUX. Most likely I am missing something or removed something. If there is any disappointment - it is technical support being swamped and waiting for email support. Have only been able to use chat once and that was not so great.

If someone has a a good reference guide in the interetation of the log files - that would be great. I do see an Aeotec light switch spitting out huge amounts of data which could also be my problem.

Comment

Thanks Edvins - - this worked great for me

Comment

Working...
                          X