All Events Disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Events Disappeared

All of a sudden things that should work automatically stopped working. I looked into this today and realized all of my events are gone. I am on HS 4.1.1.0. Has anybody else experienced this and recovered from it?

Hi mulu,

What happens if you restart HS? You should see an entry in the startup log related to loading of Events.
    There is also a backup of the events data that it can load from if needed.
    Let us know.

Comment

I restarted HS4 but the events still are missing. I searched the startup log for the keyword event but there wasn't anything.

Comment

There should be a section of the startup log that indicates loading device, events, timers and controls.
        Here is an example:

7/23/2020 7:16:33 PM HomeSeer Startup HomeSeer version is: 4.1.2.0
        7/23/2020 7:16:33 PM HomeSeer Error Unable to load timers from normal or backup file!
        7/23/2020 7:16:33 PM HomeSeer Warning Unable to load timers config file, trying backup
        7/23/2020 7:16:33 PM HomeSeer Error Unable to load counters from normal or backup file!
        7/23/2020 7:16:33 PM HomeSeer Warning Unable to load counters config file, trying backup
        7/23/2020 7:16:33 PM HomeSeer Info Loaded 10 Events.
        7/23/2020 7:16:33 PM HomeSeer Info Loaded 37 Devices.
        7/23/2020 7:16:33 PM HomeSeer Startup Loading configuration file ...

Look for the entries between the two green lines above and paste them here.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
          All of a sudden things that should work automatically stopped working. I looked into this today and realized all of my events are gone. I am on HS 4.1.1.0. Has anybody else experienced this and recovered from it?
          This is the dreaded JSON bug that's plaguing HS4. Been talked about since the first beta.
          No way to just fix it, gonna have to do a restore.

Comment

Oh, duh, I was searching upwards with the cursor at the top... So there is an entry it says loaded 0 Events

I had something similar happening to me during beta which you can't complain much about since was beta. But this shouldn't be happening in a released product. This never happened to me in HS3.

7/23/2020 5:20:48 PM HomeSeer~!~Startup~!~Loading configuration file ...
            7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Database~!~Loaded 764 Devices.
            7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Database~!~Loaded 0 Events.
            7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~3~!~Unable to load counters config file, trying backup
            7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~4~!~Unable to load counters from normal or backup file!
            7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Database~!~Loaded 29 Timers.
            7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Startup~!~HomeSeer version is: 4.1.1.0
            7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Startup~!~Creating Speaker Client Interface Object...

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
              Oh, duh, I was searching upwards with the cursor at the top... So there is an entry it says loaded 0 Events

I had something similar happening to me during beta which you can't complain much about since was beta. But this shouldn't be happening in a released product. This never happened to me in HS3.

7/23/2020 5:20:48 PM HomeSeer~!~Startup~!~Loading configuration file ...
              7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Database~!~Loaded 764 Devices.
              7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Database~!~Loaded 0 Events.
              7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~3~!~Unable to load counters config file, trying backup
              7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~4~!~Unable to load counters from normal or backup file!
              7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Database~!~Loaded 29 Timers.
              7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Startup~!~HomeSeer version is: 4.1.1.0
              7/23/2020 5:20:49 PM HomeSeer~!~Startup~!~Creating Speaker Client Interface Object...
              Ok, there's two things we can try:

1. Hopefully you have HS4 backups scheduled in the tools tab or have been doing them manually?

2. I'll walk you through Plan B if you don't have a backup to restore....

Comment

What is plan B? I’m having the same issue. I have no backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie View Post
                  What is plan B? I’m having the same issue. I have no backup.
                  What is the contents of your HomeSeer JSON directory? On Windows it's located at C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json

Comment

Please put in a support ticket on this issue at support@homeseer.com so the team knows this issue is still happening.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The contents of:
                      C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json

Are:
                      devices.json
                      devices.json.bak

Comment

Originally posted by Willie View Post
                        The contents of:
                        C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json

Are:
                        devices.json
                        devices.json.bak
                        Not good. Something wiped out all your Event data, assuming you already had some events previously setup.

There might be a way to recreate this information based on other data that HS stores, but I'm unaware of such method.
                        As Rupp suggested, best to open up a support ticket.
                        I'd also advise in the meantime looking into why backups weren't configured and/or working.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Comment

I just checked for HomeSeerData.json and I don't even have such a file in C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data. The only two json files in this folder are Categories.json and filters.json.

Comment

HomeSeerData.json is a folder/directory - within that are the various JSON files for Events, Devices, Timers, etc.

The JSON system is still heavily flawed. The data is only written once a minute or so - if you make some changes and reboot within a minute they are lost, really really frustrating. The JSON system only writes if there is data to be saved - so for example let's say you have *a* timer and then delete it, that timer will just keep coming back because the JSON system doesn't write an empty file so that entry just stays there and kicks back in. You could create five counters for example, delete all five, and one remains... not initially, they're all gone, but it comes back. It's also why HS4 fresh out the box generates errors during startup - initially you have NO timers or counters for example, but its no empty write flaw means by design it doesn't write an empty file so will always cause this error... until as some have suggested you create a dummy entry, but you can never delete it again once you do.

Not to mention there is still an unknown circumstance that corrupts these databases, text files, whatever. HST to their credit seem to have fixed why it was sooooo unstable during the beta, but there is still something that triggers it. I've had to restore a few of my files multiple times from backup because for reasons unknown they just corrupted the bejesus out of themselves. Plus there seems to be an underlying flaw where HS4 becomes totally non-responsive after a few hours if you slam it with a high volume of device changes, let's say because of solar power, and it either corrupts its files or just jams up.... I've created a test script that demonstrates this problem but still testing it to narrow down the specific circumstance, for example is it if the minute-ish JSON data re-write occurs at the exact time other data changes.... still trying to purposefully time that to see.

However macromark has made it offensively clear they couldn't care less about HS4 having self-destructive flaws so I'm very uncertain the point of any of this at the moment to be honest...

Comment

Tillsy Thanks. I as automatically assuming that something with a file extension is a file so I didn't look for a folder. It's indeed there. The events.json file was all filled with 0x00. I then took the backup file and renamed it to events.json. After I started HS4 the events were back. I am glad that they are back but I am concerned that something like that happens in a production software.

Comment

Working...
                              X