Lost access to Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost access to Internet

Was in the process of upgrading to HS4 and ran into an error. I have lost access to the internet from my SEL. When I putty to the SEL and use LXterminal to ping to 8.8.8.8 which I believe is google I get the correct sent/ return packets and all looks well. But if I ping google. com (or myhs.homeseer.com or any other named site I get Error unable to resolve name.
    I cannot access the web pages, SEL shows up fine on my router, all looks fine. Tried running Chromecast, Firefox etc and says cannot access internet.

any ideas? If not, will a complete reinstall fix this?

thanks
    Tom

seems like a dns isssue. Is this helps? try to overwrite /etc/resolv.conf ( sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf) file with ( just change the ip adresses)

nameserver 8.8.8.8

nameserver 8.8.4.4

then try to ping google again

Comment

When I rune that sudo nano /etc/resolve.conf It says Not to modify by hand, that it will automatically be rewritten over back to original.

i did try it anyway, and ran ping google.com and still got same error. When I rechecked the file it was back to the original. So no idea if it tested the idea or not!

any other ideas?

thanks!
      Tom

Comment

What does the original /etc/resolv.conf say?

Comment

Nameserver 127.0.0.53

Comment

Ok, that is a problem.

Let's check a couple of things. run these commands

Code:
            more /etc/network/interfaces

more /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Comment

From more /etc/network/interfaces I get

# interfaces (5) file used by ifup (8) and ifdown (8)
              Auto lo
              iface lo inet loopback

from more /etc/dhcpcd.conf I get
              failed: no such file or directory

Comment

Just a little addition to the above advice. It appears the old edit method has changed. Don’t forget to use sudo nano when editing the file.

https://datawookie.netlify.app/blog/...-ubuntu-18.04/

Hopefully that method will make the change permanent

Comment

Hmmm, that didn't help much.

I think the SEL is running an old Ubuntu, 14.04 perhaps?

Code:
                  more /etc/os-release
                  This link may help: https://askubuntu.com/questions/6628...n-ubuntu-14-04

See if this returns anything useful
                  Code:
                  more /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
                  Edit: concordseer 's link looks good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                    Hmmm, that's not much help.

I think the SEL is running and old Ubuntu, 14.04 perhaps?

Code:
                    more /etc/os-release
                    This link may help: https://askubuntu.com/questions/6628...n-ubuntu-14-04

See if this returns anything useful
                    Code:
                    more /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
                    Edit: concordseer 's link looks good as well.
                    Yes it does help when you know what distro is loaded on the Linux box. Between Ubuntu 14.04 (EOL 2019) and Raspbian Jessie (EOL May 20) feels like a trip back in time this week.

Are the HS boxes OS updated regularly. I suppose these issues are only showing up now as a result of the HS4 release.

Does the upgrade script include the installation of the latest OS as well as the latest stable version of Mono along with the installation of HS4. I don’t own any of these controllers so I’m curious to know.

Comment

Ubuntu version comes back “18.04.4 LTS“

more /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base returned nothing, no error just back to prompt

i ran the sudo as in the linked conversation and think it ran ok, but still 8.8.8.8 works but google.com does not

Comment

Originally posted by thutchins View Post

more /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base returned nothing, no error just back to prompt

i ran the sudo as in the linked conversation and think it ran ok, but still 8.8.8.8 works but google.com does not
                        That’s odd as you’ve now confirmed you are running Ubuntu 18.04. What does the contents of your resolve.conf look like now. Just enter the command

sudo nano /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head

and paste the results here. Don’t forget to Ctrl X to close that file.

Comment

Which linked convo? Since you're on 18.04, the one posted by concordseer is a better choice.

Comment

So I tried again with the nano and it worked! I was able to register and it is running! Thanks to all!! Been beating my head against this for 2 weeks!!

Now just one weird thing when I access web pages all of them come up fine except for devices page. Looks like HTML script?? Events, setup and the rest look as expected. tried restarting and get the same result. Gibberish on devices page.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Comment

So I tried again with the nano and it worked! I was able to register and it is running! Thanks to all!! Been beating my head against this for 2 weeks!!

Now just one weird thing when I access web pages all of them come up fine except for devices page. Looks like HTML script?? Events, setup and the rest look as expected. tried restarting and get the same result. Gibberish on devices page.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
                              Well glad to hear good old nano did the trick !!!!

I’ve got to log off now but try access your HS GUI with a different browser to rule out the obvious first.

Comment

Working...
                              X