Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS4 Startup as Administrator

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    HS4 Startup as Administrator

    I use Startup Delayer to auto start homeseer when my PC restarts. How do I get it to start HS4 as Administrator?

    Thanks
    Jim

    #2
    Originally posted by jbfoster View Post
    I use Startup Delayer to auto start homeseer when my PC restarts. How do I get it to start HS4 as Administrator?

    Thanks
    Jim
    Open Startup delayer and right-click on the HS4 application in the Startup item column.

    Select Application properties. On the Launch Details tab, there is another set of tabs below. Select advanced. Tick 'Launch with highest privileges'.
    Jon

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jon00 View Post

      Open Startup delayer and right-click on the HS4 application in the Startup item column.

      Select Application properties. On the Launch Details tab, there is another set of tabs below. Select advanced. Tick 'Launch with highest privileges'.
      Thanks jon00 Actually I did do that. I did it again and sure enough I missed it. 🤦‍♂️

      Thanks again
      Jim

      Comment


        #4
        Jumping on this thread. I just moved my setup to a new Windows 10 server. Have been using startup delayer for years. Now it is giving me all sorts of issues like:

        Unable to launch UAC elevated. UAC Prompt was cancelled.

        I am logged in under an administrator account, I have turned off UAC, I have told Startup Delayer to launch with highest privileges. Yet I still get these errors. Any ideas? Thanks.

        Comment


          #5
          I think I might have figured it out. You have to run the Configure Startup Delayer in Admin mode, otherwise the settings you make, including setting highest privileges, do not seem to work. This appears to be working for me - so if this is true - hopefully will help anyone else that runs into this.

          Comment


            #6
            Sorry, but I'm really frustrated right now, trying to get the same thing working.

            How can software that costs $600 and is expected to run all the time not have instructions for this that are easy-to-find and actually work?!?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by dwoolridge View Post
              Sorry, but I'm really frustrated right now, trying to get the same thing working.

              How can software that costs $600 and is expected to run all the time not have instructions for this that are easy-to-find and actually work?!?
              You mean like this:
              https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...HS4+on+Windows
              -Rupp
              sigpic

              Comment


                #8
                Rupp,

                Yes, but try it verbatim and see if it works. In my case there was something missing, that I happened to find in an old HS3 video.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by dwoolridge View Post
                  Rupp,

                  Yes, but try it verbatim and see if it works. In my case there was something missing, that I happened to find in an old HS3 video.
                  Ok, what's missing so we can update this article?
                  -Rupp
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by dwoolridge View Post
                    Rupp,

                    Yes, but try it verbatim and see if it works. In my case there was something missing, that I happened to find in an old HS3 video.
                    I use Task Scheduler to start HS, no problems. For trigger I use "At log on of any user".

                    Also, why create a task for Chrome? First of all you can set HS to start web browser on start-up automatically (which is not needed at all on the server). And if in any case - you can add multiple actions to the same Scheduler task.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Ok, what's missing so we can update this article?
                      My frustration comes from having to waste well over an hour researching this issue, instead of being able to follow the instructions documented on the software company's website. I think my irritation is compounded by my profession, which is helping companies better serve their customers as a Six Sigma Black Belt.

                      I'm not trying to be a d#!k, but I think that someone at Homeseer should have the same frustrating experience that their customers have. If Homeseer gets to experience that frustration, they may be more motivated to improve the experience for their customers. Back in the 2002, when HS was $89 software, I was willing to be part of troubleshooting and sharing of solutions. Now that HS is $600, I think more of the burden of support & accurate documentation falls on HS, rather than the user.

                      And Rupp, I know that you monitor the forums and give people TONS of help. Thank you for that! You've helped me out many times in the past. But, in this case, it doesn't seem like the knowledge gained in the forums made it back to the instructions.

                      If you think it would be appropriate, I'd be happy to share these thoughts with anyone who can make a difference at HS.

                      Here's what I had to work with to solve this problem:
                      1) Following the instructions you linked, all of my .vb scripts would throw an error saying "could not find library 'Scheduler.dll'". It took me about an hour scouring the forums and HS YouTube videos to find the solution.
                      2) And once you get that working, then Homeseer will mysteriously shut down 3 days after every restart. It took me a couple weeks of off & on troubleshooting to track that one down.
                      (Running Windows 10)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by dwoolridge View Post
                        Here's what I had to work with to solve this problem:
                        1) Following the instructions you linked, all of my .vb scripts would throw an error saying "could not find library 'Scheduler.dll'". It took me about an hour scouring the forums and HS YouTube videos to find the solution.
                        2) And once you get that working, then Homeseer will mysteriously shut down 3 days after every restart. It took me a couple weeks of off & on troubleshooting to track that one down.
                        (Running Windows 10)
                        So, can you share? Or just let others experience your pain?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          My hope was that Homeseer would go through the customer pain, find the solution, and update their instructions. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-25 115027.png
Views:	252
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1451393
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-25 115245.png
Views:	241
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1451394

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by dwoolridge View Post
                              My hope was that Homeseer would go through the customer pain, find the solution, and update their instructions. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
                              Homeseer (HST) don't give a sh## and they don't bother reading the forums.

                              But the users do (both go through the pain, and reading the forums).

                              • Join Date: Feb 2002
                              • Posts: 204
                              dwoolridge You are using HS for 20 years - and have only 204 posts? Is says a lot...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X